Sampling Rate

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
I currently experience a sampling rate of about 3.5 samples per second when logging using a registered version of vagcom (most basic version i think) with a serial connection using an opto interface.
if i upgrade to one of your usb dongle versions , whats the best i could hope for. (my ecu is a bosh ME7 type 1ml)

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I don't mean to jump in with potentially the wrong answer, but I was under the impression that sampling rate was dictated by the ECU comms, IE the serial port isn't the slowest part of the connection. I'm not convinced switching to USB will make any difference?

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
I don't mean to jump in with potentially the wrong answer, but I was under the impression that sampling rate was dictated by the ECU comms, IE the serial port isn't the slowest part of the connection. I'm not convinced switching to USB will make any difference?
Maybe, but APR have a similar product called ECU Explorer that has a usb interface that achieves 18 samples per second irrespective of how many channels are being logged.:shrug:

BeartheBruce

Ross-Tech, LLC
Apr 23, 2006
Near Philadelphia, PA, USA
The sample rate is effected by the interface hardware and the ECU hardware. If you are running an aftermarket unit, they may not have put in the hardware to talk to the ECU at the fastest rate and so it defaults to some slow comms mode.

Having said that, without a lot more information, I am not going to promise that you will get 18 samples per second using a genuine Ross-Tech dongle. You could have one of the really slow ECUs and it simply will not go any faster. I don't know the specifics on the APR unit but if they are using standard diagnostic protocols to fetch that information than I would expect a genuine interface to perform at or near the same speed.

What I would suggest is that you look for someone in the area with one of our interfaces and give it a go. If it does what you want, then you know what you need to buy. Make sense?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members