Sat Nav SD Card question

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I'm curious, why do you believe it should be free?

People usually pay extortionate amounts for Sat Nav as an optional extra and then the maps are outdated within a 6-12 months. Map updates should be free for as long as the car is in warranty at least.
Before I found out how to upgrade my sat nav maps for free, Seat were reluctant and couldn’t understand why I wanted updated maps. Then they quoted like £300 for a new SD card and then made it sound like a massive job. My car is still in warranty and they won’t even update the media system to the latest version despite them accepting I have bugs and errors on my current version. I find Seat after sales communication and help quite shocking. Once the sale is completed, they have no care in the world for you once you’ve signed the documents. That’s my own experience and can’t vouch for others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
I saw anewspaper article on this last year,someone had went to the press as he was told it was £120 or so for updated maps. Can't remember the manufacturer....

His arguement was much like the above, if you pay extra for the SatNavs, then surely the map, being the key component should be kept up to date as part of that initial purchase and that dealers should update the map with each service. I.e once a year.

Personally, I don't use sat nat that much, maybe a handful of times a year so I don't really care and on the one occasion it hasn't been correct due to road changes, Google maps on a passengers phone finished it off.

Last edited:

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Sorry for being dumb! Would I be able to update mine then? What’s the diff between MIB 1 and MIB 2??

052d4fb6bd75f605a3d15eb360a24fea.jpg

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Roads around here don't change that much to warrant yearly updates. I'll save the money and hassle and figure it out using old fashion sign posts if I get caught out

Reactions: kazand

Rob G

Apr 13, 2018
This is a link to the version of maps that works for my Navi System: http://navigation.com/cms/page.leon6P0/en_GB/HEREEMEA/GBP

Backup your current SD card, Download the files you want, delete all files from your SD card, then copy the new files onto the SD card. There’s a file you copy from your originals SD card backup which allows you to use the new files - once I’m home, I’ll verify the file name for certain. It’s worked every time for me.

Just downloaded the latest version from above site and followed the instructions, my car is coming up saying Navigation Database Unavailable' any ideas what I may have missed?

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Just downloaded the latest version from above site and followed the instructions, my car is coming up saying Navigation Database Unavailable' any ideas what I may have missed?

Did you copy the original OVERALL.NDS file to the SD card?

Hopefully you took a backup of the original SD card first :)

The file is located in maps\EEC\EEC_WLD\

Just copy it from the backup and overwrite the one that will be on the SD card from the updated files.

Rob G

Apr 13, 2018
Did you copy the original OVERALL.NDS file to the SD card?

Hopefully you took a backup of the original SD card first :)

The file is located in maps\EEC\EEC_WLD\

Just copy it from the backup and overwrite the one that will be on the SD card from the updated files.

I hadn't! Just copied it over from the old files, and it's working perfectly! Thanks for your help :thumbup:

Reactions: paddy6789

Stevan

Apr 8, 2017
Musselburgh
Sorry for being dumb! Would I be able to update mine then? What’s the diff between MIB 1 and MIB 2??

052d4fb6bd75f605a3d15eb360a24fea.jpg

Yep MIB2. You can do the overall.nds hack to get latest (6 monthly) maps using the existing card.
First download the new maps from http://webspecial.volkswagen.de/maps/int/en/index.html, select Golf, then Golf from 2015, then Discover Media, scroll down a bit and download the map you need (for me Europe bundle 1).
Copy everything off your sdcard to your PC (backup, don't lose), hunt out and keep aside a separate copy of your overall.nds (\MAPS\EEC\EEC_WLD\OVERALL.NDS), quick format the sdcard, copy the new map files you downloaded (unzip them first, if Windows doesn't like .7z files try WinRAR, if you're apple then just stump up the cash for a card from the dealer (sorry, not sure what to use on a Mac for zipped files), then just drag and drop the 'MAPS' folder to the root of your blank sdcard), then overwrite \MAPS\EEC\EEC_WLD\OVERALL.NDS with the copy from your original copy of the card.
Full info in this thread:
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/

If you are feeling really brave, there's also a software update for that system 245->330->346. See:
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/sw-update-for-mib2-infotainment-system.427280/

This version of the Infotainment / SatNav seems to be the best for hackability, I feel lucky...

Mine did say same as yours, now says:
Software system (new) - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

jacko5

Jan 10, 2017
UK
Does anyone know if a Seat Leon 6p0 system radio will fit a Seat Leon 5p0 car ?

Stevan

Apr 8, 2017
Musselburgh
The general consensus on here seems to be that it is physically possible to swap head units but you need dealers to get them to work and the cost is pretty prohibitive

Labro

Nov 22, 2018
It's my understanding that the genuine ones have a code in the case this needs coded to your unit to work.

If paddy has updated his,you may not need to buy a thencsrd at all
Hi, re your above . I have a brand new sd card v7. It was unopened. I tried to use it on my 2016 Leon but it did not work at all. You mention a code in the box, where about is this to be found?. Have noticed that the v7 is a tom tom version where as the original is different.