Sat Nav won't speak

pw2112

Feb 13, 2015
Hi all,

My wife has an Ibiza FR 1.2 64 plate that came with the Garmin sat nav that plugs in to the top of the dashboard. It is used as a driving school car, there is talk of introducing sat nav driving in to the driving test, but we cannot get the sat nav to speak. It works and gives directions but with no voice, we have adjusted the volume to max on the screen and made sure the radio is on and switched to aux but nothing works. I have had the unit plugged into the PC and the software is up to date and I have downloaded the latest map updates (2016 Q4) I think they were. Still no voice!
I have searched the forum but can't find an answer, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Paul

Dougalaus

CEEJAY
Oct 23, 2014
County Durham
garmin sound

Hello.
did you select "Media" as your input source on your Car Radio when using Garmin
I believe selecting AUX relates to external cable audio input only.

Regards
Dougalaus

Steve221

Workshy Fop.
May 30, 2003
Newcastle
Visit site
It shouldn't matter which source you have selected, that sat nav should speak over the top of it.

Have you any music saved on the memory card of the Garmin? If that works ok then I guess the voice has accidentally been switched off somewhere in the settings.

If the music doesn't work either then it probably has a bad connection in the dash or the mounting arm. Try removing all components and frilly re-seating them.

pw2112

Feb 13, 2015
Still no joy, tried pressing the media button. There is no music on the card so don't know if that works. May have to take it into the main stealers and get them to have a look at it...

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Just make sure that the adaptor is fully pressed home on the dashboard. It can be difficult occasionally just press it down as hard as you can and you should hear two clicks as it snaps into place

Last edited:

pw2112

Feb 13, 2015
yeah, the adapter is fully pressed in to the dashboard, if it isn't, it switches off when you go over a bump in the road. I checked with my wife and it has spoken in the past, but won't do it anymore.

Cheers,
Paul

Dougalaus

CEEJAY
Oct 23, 2014
County Durham
Garmin Seat Portable System

Hello Paul,
I have a Pdf copy of Garmin Seat Portable System user manual available. Unable to post external links as yet though on this forum. Happy to email it to you if that can be arranged.
if you select Media on your car Radio whilst Garmin is connected then continue to press media button until NAV is displayed on the Radio Screen you can check if the Garmin is able to playback sound from audio files off sd card. if this is the case then you could then check the volume level setting *which is adjustable whilst voice is active* during Navigating a route as suggested in a previous post.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Dougalaus.

pw2112

Feb 13, 2015
Hi all,
Just been out and tried all your suggestions, the unit was definitely correctly plugged in, I have adjusted the volume button from minimum through to maximum several times to catch it when it should be speaking but still no sound. There are no audio files on the sd card to try. I have the pdf of the user manual from when I plugged it in the pc to download the latest map updates the other day, but thanks for the offer. The voice wasn't working before I updated the maps and isn't working with the latest update, so I think we can rule out the map download causing the issue. The car is going in to Seat to have another unrelated issue checked out so my wife will get them to try and sort it out, but I figured there would be more collective knowledge on here than at the main stealers. Thanks to everyone who has tried to help, I will keep you posted if we find a cure or not.

Best wishes,
Paul

pw2112

Feb 13, 2015
Ok, so the car went into Lookers Stockport where it came from and they performed a factory re-set on the sat nav unit, and bingo it has stopped sulking and will now talk to us! They could offer no explanation as to why it went silent, but at least our problem is now solved.
Thanks to all who tried to help, not sure why I didn't think of a re-set myself but at least it is cured.
Cheers,
Paul

Vini

Aug 18, 2016
Did the factory reset restore your maps to an earlier version of maps? If so, its likely the version of maps you installed were not compatible.

pw2112

Feb 13, 2015
Never thought of that!
I'll get my wife to bring it in one day and connect it to the pc and check. Last time I had it plugged in I backed it up so even if it has gone back to an earlier version, I can update it and see if the update caused the problem.

Vini

Aug 18, 2016
Depends on the source of the maps, when I installed 'not necessarily acquired via the official method' copies of the latest 2016 maps. I had a similar thing.

This was because I required additional/different voice files to accompany the newest update(s).

I managed to get it working eventually, but, I then ripped it out and installed a double din, rendering it useless anyway.

pw2112

Feb 13, 2015
Depends on the source of the maps, when I installed 'not necessarily acquired via the official method' copies of the latest 2016 maps. I had a similar thing.

This was because I required additional/different voice files to accompany the newest update(s).

I managed to get it working eventually, but, I then ripped it out and installed a double din, rendering it useless anyway.

Haha, I'm all for a bit of, ahem, "alternate sourcing", however these maps were all downloaded through the Garmin fresh app so were 100% legit

pw2112

Feb 13, 2015
I have had the sat nav unit plugged in to the pc, I'm not sure what map version was on it but I installed the latest available version (Q3 2016) It downloaded and installed it so I assume an earlier version was running on it.

pw2112

Feb 13, 2015
When we got the car we paid for the speed camera and map updates. The speed camera updates have expired now. It doesn't currently warn me about them, but it has done in the past so it is maybe dependent on a current subscription? Maybe some else can confirm this