Satan The PD160 Shananigans Project

James St Patrick

Jan 2, 2019
West Midlands
Question guys, how much weight can you save with these things? I know the car in stock form weighs in at 1215KG which is a little on the heavy side (no fat chicks, sorry, race car) which gives it a power to weight of 7.59KG per HP.... I wanna get it a little lighter, my aim is around 1100KG or around that, as light as possible, I was thinking bucket seats, airbags can swivel, carbon fibre parts (if I can find any) (still keeping stock seat belts and rear seats as they're needed) race wheel, light weight alloys, coilovers if they save weight (let me know) and if there is anything else I can get to make it lighter, the exhaust is getting worked over like a rented mule to find weight saving there, any single gram I can take out of it without making the car look like it's anorexic is gonna happen, I'm not going full BTCC mode on it. Let me know what can be done to make it lighter please. I've done a few cars before that I've owned (full track spec things) but this isn't going that way as I still need the rear seats (family) and seat belts, airbags, not so much.

Reactions: kanyewest

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
Junk Spare wheel, door trims, carpet, roof lining wheel arch liners AC condenser and pump where do you want to stop?

Ask what do you NEED?

James St Patrick

Jan 2, 2019
West Midlands
Junk Spare wheel, door trims, carpet, roof lining wheel arch liners AC condenser and pump where do you want to stop?

Ask what do you NEED?

Spare wheel has gone, I wanna leave inside the same as it is, minus bucket seats, AC doesn't work so that can F off, Arch liners are going bye byes (making some smaller ones out of the stock ones) probs take glass windows out the rear and replace with plastic ones (tiger seal them in) I'm not going stupid crazy just wanna try get it as close to 1110KG as I can.

James St Patrick

Jan 2, 2019
West Midlands
This is an emotional time for me right now, given what's happened with the car, giving up on it, in 2 minds to scrap it and cut my losses but yesterday something AWESOME happened, I finally found some motivation to get this turd running again, so full flywheel, clutch and gearbox got changed, what a bitch of a job that was AGAIN. 4th time. Don't ask.

After starting on the car at 9 in the morning I finished it at 11:30PM, I worked none stop throughout the day, no food, nothing to drink, because I wanted him to run and drive. That been said, got down to work, got all tools sorted out, got what I needed, ripped the old box out, HUGE hole in it (mission accomplished) flywheel got yanked off, helicoiled the crank bolt that was stripped off, fitted new flywheel and clutch, went to put gearbox in and F**K wrong box. Took it back, looked around for another, couldn't find one, called a buddy, he had one, £140 so yeah, sweet, got it back, fitted it, put everything back together, started the car after putting it on the deck, clutch in, put in first, right moment of truth, HE MOVED!!!!! He drove under his own power for 50 yards and I LOVED IT, put air in the tires, went down the road and back up taking it easy with him and boy, I didn't have half happy tears of joy when I pulled back up, all this work has finally paid off and I can't believe it, what an awesome little turd he is, the car is offically fixed and yes, I love it. All over again, everytime I get in the car, drive it does it remind me why I love him. And guess what, he's staying.

He's booked in for a respray soon (not giving anything away, you'll have to see)

Alloys are getting a quick refurb, new tires are going on him, new rear calipers, also a few mods (for the time been) before weight reduction. But I'm happy to say Satan is driving once again and boy, I love him.

I'll post photos or limited amounts of pics I have of him because my freaking phone died.

I might even bring him to a meet (I got annoyed and PUNCHED!!!! the nearside front wing and dented it, lol)

James St Patrick

Jan 2, 2019
West Midlands
It's fixed, it's running, drove it for about 20 miles, had a play with it, clutch slips under FULL load, 3/4 throttle it's fine so I'll take it easy with it and still use the car, then get a better clutch as this was only a OEM replacement so.... expected really. If I get 20k miles from this I'll be happy.

I'm also changing gearbox oil (incase it's that)

Reactions: kanyewest

Deleted member 103408

Hopefully we will see the car in the flesh at the doncaster meet, looking forward to it.

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
It's fixed, it's running, drove it for about 20 miles, had a play with it, clutch slips under FULL load, 3/4 throttle it's fine so I'll take it easy with it and still use the car, then get a better clutch as this was only a OEM replacement so.... expected really. If I get 20k miles from this I'll be happy.

I'm also changing gearbox oil (incase it's that)
:cloud9:

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
Yeah man, you're the only person I've actually updated regular with the car due to you having an interest in it so..... now we just need to sort yours out and make that a project. 1.8T swap? :p

id love to do summat like that man. i need a while to save up but we'll have a really interesting readers ride thread on here someday!

James St Patrick

Jan 2, 2019
West Midlands
id love to do summat like that man. i need a while to save up but we'll have a really interesting readers ride thread on here someday!

Yeah man, I'm down. For sure.

Anyway, update on the car, had rear tires changed (235/45/17) slight rub on them, found out it was contacting the rear pass side of the car, hammered some plastic out and hammered the metal behind it and no more rub, next up is the fronts, I'm changing them them to 225/45/17 (might have to run spacers) but yeah, there's the update, cars running good, nothing else to inform really. Think ABS sensor might be a little fudged as pedal feels like ABS is kicking in all the time..... I'll see lol

James St Patrick

Jan 2, 2019
West Midlands
I swear to god I'm about to flip my f**king lid at this car and take a baseball bat to it.

No brake lights (fuse is fine) was working last time I checked. So gonna replace brake light switch (£9 from GSF) and now it's got a EML, GAAAAAAAAAAH.

I'm gonna seriously give up on this stupid car. It's the most annoying car I've ever owned and trust me, I've owned some s**t boxes in my time. This is just next level LEMON.

Reactions: Woody_72

James St Patrick

Jan 2, 2019
West Midlands
Update, for anyone thinking of buying an LUK clutch for a PD160 don't waste you're money, they're S**T!!!! They slip like hell under FULL load which means I gotta potter around like a retarded *****. So again, the car needs a clutch.

This time I'm not f**king around and just going all out on a stage 3 paddle clutch for it.

Is the 5th time actually gonna make it work as it should? Let's hope.

Reactions: bigT's lcr

James St Patrick

Jan 2, 2019
West Midlands
Not looking forward for today, 3 hour 1 way to Skegness with a car that's STIFF as hell and no give in the suspention at all, I've drove it for a tops of 40 miles and by the time I've got out of the car my back has been in bits, guess that's what I have for lowering a Cupra with poly bushes and stiffer spring rate springs along with 45 profile tires. Not fun.

Update on the clutch, it's okay ish but looking for a Stage 3 for it as this LUK kit is pure TRASH, under FULL load it slips like hell, car is only doing 28.4MPG as well driving careful and not going over 2k RPM, I can most likely get it down to 12 to 13MPG if I was to beat on it......

Cold start, hell loads of blue smoke (turbo seals) car clatters like hell as well till it's warm..... Yeah I'm thinking it's gonna need way more work but at the moment, well it can F**k itself, done with working on it for a bit, if it lasts me 3 months how it is, I'll be happy, thay way gives me time to buy parts for it, better clutch, hybrid turbo, injectors (clean these if possible) fuel pump (this one sounds like it's a race car pump) and clean all the boost pipes out (filled with oil because turbo seals) upper hand though, it drives, it stops, that's all I care about at moment.

Brake light switch got replaced, that's fixed, front light bulbs (H7) got changed to Argo City Yellow 100W (yes I know melt connector, maybe melt the housing, but no, ran them in my 307, they was fine) also topped up gearbox oil, seems okay now, engine mount bolt is now TIGHT, no more knocking, tires are replaced to 235/45/17 on rear and 215/45/17 on the front and yes, the car is now SWEET, handles awesome, couldn't really give it any round corners but thus far trying to get this to miss behave just ain't happening and I've purposely yanked the handbrake up going 40 round a roundabout and nothing, just slowed down, lol, that was even standing on the front brake to try make it step out. #ChavLife car is currently setup like a beauty. Suspention and tire wise anyway.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members