Saying Hi from Hull !

KarmaCupra

Aug 8, 2019
Purchased a few weeks ago a 2016 Leon Cupra 290, DSG in dynamic grey. I love it !
Surprised how quickly I warmed to the DSG after driving manuals for over 20 years.

Previously in 2005 owned a brand spanking new, black Cupra R.
Have wanted a MK3 for some time, now I have it .

First thing I did was get 4 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. Tyres were on about 2mm anyway so was a no brainer with the wet weather incoming.

Now maybe a couple of under the bonnet Mods, any recommended ?
Possible exhaust upgrade too ☺

Cheers

Rich

Last edited:

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Get some pics up of your car when you can :)

Those tyres will really help transform the car, but as you read through the forum, you'll find a lot of other mods (some really cheap, some eye watering expensive) that have great results too.

Be prepared to never have money again, as we all like to spend each others money.

One of our forum sponsors is hosting a Rolling Road day in November - it's a little bit of a drive for you from Hull, but it will be a great day. Take a look at the main thread: https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....day-sunday-17th-november.456484/#post-4882737

Under the bonnet mods - it depends how far you're wanting to go. The first one people usually do is the air intake - whether this is just replacing the filter, or upgrading the intake hose, turbo elbow, muffler delete. Or a fully fledge intake kit that replaces the airbox too (Revo, Forge, Racingline, RAMAIR are all popular choices). You could look at a diverter valve or blow off valve too (Forge or GFB are most popular). They're pretty much the initial upgrades people usually do are are relativey cheap to do. I personally went for the 'Pikey R600' mod - which makes modifications to the standard airbox, and upgrades the intake hose, elbow and muffler delete. I will be going for the Racingline R600 though when funds permit :)

KarmaCupra

Aug 8, 2019
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Get some pics up of your car when you can :)

Those tyres will really help transform the car, but as you read through the forum, you'll find a lot of other mods (some really cheap, some eye watering expensive) that have great results too.

Be prepared to never have money again, as we all like to spend each others money.

One of our forum sponsors is hosting a Rolling Road day in November - it's a little bit of a drive for you from Hull, but it will be a great day. Take a look at the main thread: https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....day-sunday-17th-november.456484/#post-4882737

Under the bonnet mods - it depends how far you're wanting to go. The first one people usually do is the air intake - whether this is just replacing the filter, or upgrading the intake hose, turbo elbow, muffler delete. Or a fully fledge intake kit that replaces the airbox too (Revo, Forge, Racingline, RAMAIR are all popular choices). You could look at a diverter valve or blow off valve too (Forge or GFB are most popular). They're pretty much the initial upgrades people usually do are are relativey cheap to do. I personally went for the 'Pikey R600' mod - which makes modifications to the standard airbox, and upgrades the intake hose, elbow and muffler delete. I will be going for the Racingline R600 though when funds permit :)

KarmaCupra

Aug 8, 2019
Wow, thanks Paddy for the detailed reply.
I'll get some pics up soon when it's clean ☺

I'll take on board what you have said and look at the under the bonnet Mods etc, time to do some research this weekend.

Once again thanks for the reply

Reactions: paddy6789

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Wow, thanks Paddy for the detailed reply.
I'll get some pics up soon when it's clean ☺

I'll take on board what you have said and look at the under the bonnet Mods etc, time to do some research this weekend.

Once again thanks for the reply
There is plenty to do and so many people on here can help you with their own mods experience and research they have done. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. We are a friendly bunch :)

KarmaCupra

Aug 8, 2019
As you say Paddy, think I'll opt for the Racing line R600 mod.

AET motorsports in Castleford pricing seems reasonable.

Photos still not done, crap weather :cry:

Deleted member 103408

Just to add if you are fitting an upgraded air intake have you also considered the rest of the kit.

If you have not done so already you should replace the pipe from the airbox to the turbo and turbo inlet elbow to give you the best air flow to the turbo, if you can stretch to it you should also look at the Muffler Delete kit with allows smoother flow our of the turbo.

Price for R600 on the site you show is stock price, if you are not in a hurry you can get some good deals on second hand ones and I personally have always bought them from Golf's and had no issues.

KarmaCupra

Aug 8, 2019
The old boy, yeah they are things to consider too.
I think some of the intake kits include the pipe to the turbo.

Thanks for the heads up.

Out of interest are they fiddly to fit, I have seen youtube videos etc.

I'm good at taking things out and apart but putting back in, not quite as proficient ;)

KarmaCupra

Aug 8, 2019
20190928_114336_compress16.jpg
f
20190928_114318_compress72.jpg

Reactions: paddy6789

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs

Just a note on this - if you speak to Progressive Parts who are a forum sponsor, they have a price match offer. @PP Mark or @PP Gareth can help you out. Either drop them a line on here or give them a call on Monday. You could end up saving some money :)

But also to reiterate what @theoldboy said, there are good deals around for second hand parts if you’re prepared to wait a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KarmaCupra

Aug 8, 2019
Couple of photos, not the most picturesque setting :clap: but clearly photo bombed by wheelie bins and a wheel barrow :coolthumb

Beauty of dynamic grey, looks white in the light and grey when it's gloomy. Plenty of gloomy days due in the coming months :yes:

Last edited:

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm good at taking things out and apart but putting back in, not quite as proficient ;)

You can remove the stock intake and install the full R600 kit in about 30-45 mins. It’s not really that difficult. Just make sure you take your time and don’t drop any bolts!

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Couple of photos, not the most pituresque setting :clap: but clearly photo bombed by wheelie bins and a wheel barrow :coolthumb

Beauty of dynamic grey, looks white in the light and grey when it's gloomy. Plenty of gloomy days due in the coming months :yes:

One thing you could do that others do with a panoramic roof is to wrap the roof in black. It makes a huge difference.

Very nice looking car!

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs

Deleted member 103408

Thanks for the heads up.

Very easy to fit the only warning is when you take the stock airbox out it is held in place with rubber grommets and you have to give them a bit of a pull to get it out other than that dead easy. If this is a long term car for you then check out to see if you have to re oil the filter (sorry I have had a lot of different setups so cant recall if this one needed it) in which case get yourself a cleaning and re oil kit.

Update

And just to add check if you need or its had a DSG and Front diff service.

Last edited by a moderator:

KarmaCupra

Aug 8, 2019
Oldboy, yeah it's a long term car. 27k miles and I think the major service which includes DSG and Diff is due at 40k.

Not sure myself about the filter re oiling either not something I've seen or come across.

It's due it's 4th service early next year too.

Thanks for the replies ☺

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise