Scary Fault

jamiep

I have had a 1.8TSI FR DSG since June 2013 and I have notice on occasion at low speeds that there is a momentary power loss and pressing the accelerator does nothing. The car continues to rev at circa 3000 revs so it's not the start stop function. This has caused one or two hairy experiences when turning right in front of oncoming traffic to find that all of a sudden I can't move forward.

This has happened in total about 30 times so not that regularly, but when it happened a few weeks ago I took my foot off the accelerator. The engine then started revving to about 7000 revs and all of a sudden launched forward at high speed. Fortunately there were no cars or pedestrians in front of me otherwise this could have been disastrous.

I have taken the car into SEAT Harrogate and also SEAT York for them to look at and neither can find any fault when they have run a diagnostic check. SEAT York also went to the trouble of contacting SEAT UK and they have no knowledge of similar problems.

I am extremely worried, particularly following the incident when I was launched forward at 7000 revs as next time there could be someone walking in front of the car.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems and had any joy in getting it resolved?

Kind Regards

Jamie :confused:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
That's quite concerning really.

Is this in Normal mode, not Eco or anything. I know Eco makes throttle response slow as hell.

I also once drove an Ibiza Bocanegra, that did something very similar to what your describing, thought it was my size 12's pressing the accelerator and brake together as they were quite close together. Could never quite work out why, but it was during a test drive, which kind of put me off it. :D

I've had one occasion in my SC FR 1.8 DSG (bearing in mind only had it just over a month now) when i got no drive at some traffic lights, when it restarted from start stop it was almost like the gearbox hadn't quite woke up with the engine.

However I didn't continue to try the accelerator, just slipped it into Neutral then straight back into Drive and it woke up again. It's not done it since?? But will certainly report it should it start acting like this.

jamiep

Thanks for your reply Mark.
It has been in normal mode that it has happened. My best guess is that the engine is revving but the DSG is being slow and staying in neutral for a couple of seconds before deciding to go into gear. That probably doesn't explain why the car went up to 7000 revs on its own accord though.....

shadw_uk

Aug 3, 2007
By the sea, Cleveleys
I might be able to shed a bit of light on this as I have a bocanegra and most recently had this the other day. I've had it quite a few times and its usually after the traction control has kicked in, the throttle power seems to reduce regardless of where your foot is on the accelerator, when when it comes back, it over-revs. I'm presuming this is because the DSG drops gear but I'm only guessing.

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
I have had a 1.8TSI FR DSG since June 2013 and I have notice on occasion at low speeds that there is a momentary power loss and pressing the accelerator does nothing. The car continues to rev at circa 3000 revs so it's not the start stop function. This has caused one or two hairy experiences when turning right in front of oncoming traffic to find that all of a sudden I can't move forward.

This has happened in total about 30 times so not that regularly, but when it happened a few weeks ago I took my foot off the accelerator. The engine then started revving to about 7000 revs and all of a sudden launched forward at high speed. Fortunately there were no cars or pedestrians in front of me otherwise this could have been disastrous.

I have taken the car into SEAT Harrogate and also SEAT York for them to look at and neither can find any fault when they have run a diagnostic check. SEAT York also went to the trouble of contacting SEAT UK and they have no knowledge of similar problems.

I am extremely worried, particularly following the incident when I was launched forward at 7000 revs as next time there could be someone walking in front of the car.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems and had any joy in getting it resolved?

Kind Regards

Jamie :confused:

The DSGs can do that if the gear it thinks you want next is not selected but it should only happen e.g. when slowing to a roundabout and then suddenly accelerating. If it happens at other times or lasts more than 1/2 a second then it's faulty and you need to book it in.

Jun 15, 2013
Had a similar thing very occasionally with my Puma many years ago. Hit the accelerator and drop the clutch, absolutely nothing then all of a sudden it would shoot of like its arse was on fire, a bit dangerous when a 38 tonner is rapidly approaching, the old sphincter got some exercise. Never bothered the dealer about it but it was almost certainly a combination of an enthusiastic start, the traction control (which was rubbish) and water on the brakes, it only ever happened when it had been raining heavily or if I had cleaned the car and used it strait away. Drive normally and it never happened even if it was wet.

The last time it happened was when I was selling it, just cleaned it when the prospective buyers arrived, pulled out of street on test drive and initially nothing then off we went. I explained what it was and they were happy.

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
Thanks for your reply Mark.
It has been in normal mode that it has happened. My best guess is that the engine is revving but the DSG is being slow and staying in neutral for a couple of seconds before deciding to go into gear. That probably doesn't explain why the car went up to 7000 revs on its own accord though.....

It happened to me. Only in Eco mode. I believe that it happens due to the inertia mode where the DSG is disconnected and goes to N when you remove your foot from the throttle.

Either use the DSG paddles to change gear manually when it happens or switch the gear handle to N and back to D.

shutcorea

Nov 22, 2011
Mexico
That exact thing happened to me yesterday!!! I was turning in a friend's street and all of the sudden, the car didn't move forward! It did rev up to 3k but nothing else, I had it in Sport, I switched to Drive and same thing.

The thing that solved it was shifting to N and then to D again I was reeaaaally scared since my car is less than 1 month old and have 1450 kms on it :cry:

Its a SC 1.8tsi DSG

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
It happened to me on the first day I got my car, then again 2 times in the last 2 weeks. Never happened on other than the Eco mode.

Thinking about it again, it happened only when I was turning slowly either to a street or on the a roundabout.

DSG is a robot, it might be a bug in the program mistakenly changing to the wrong gear and failing.

Did something like this happened to someone with other than 1.8 engine?

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
There is quite a discussion on Honest John's website about this feature/problem with the DSG gearbox.
Search the question section for DSG and you'll get a number of hits. His conclusion IIRC is that when braking, on the run up to a roundabout for example, a signal is sent to the DSG box from the switch on the brake pedal and fuel is cut to the engine. You change your mind and wish to accelerate off but it works quicker than the gearbox and engine changing its mind. So there is a momentary pause whilst everything catches up.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/28713/dsg-gearbox-problems

I am not sure about the over revving. That sounds serious. No disrespect but most auto box over rev issues are due to the driver hitting the gas pedal instead of the brake; size 12's or not.

I have a DSG and have not experienced either of the above, just a slight hesitancy on rare occasions which you would get on any car when the air fuel ratio is not quite right. Although I researched it carefully before buying as I was concerned about the flaw

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
I have similar in her indoors manual Ibiza, power cuts normally when turning into a junction, never over revs through.

Subaru I used to have used to cut power to the wheels when the wheels were at and over a certain degree of turn, I'd presumed it was an over sensitive sensor as my Leon DSG doesn't do this.

Do let us know when you get to the bottom of it..

gareth86

Oct 9, 2010
Kent
I have a 1.8TSI Manual Gearbox and I feel like mine sometimes has a similar issue in second gear at times that it really shouldn't. I'll be far enough into first gear for second but when I go into second it kind of feels like it stutters and I've got my foot on the accelerator but it just doesn't feel like it wants to give me the power to pull forward.

I don't know if it's just coincidence or just in my head etc, but I feel like I tend to not get this as often when I turn Stop-Start off.

Also it doesn't happen too much at all but I'm pretty sure it doesn't feel normal lol :s

phil750

Jul 24, 2012
I have a 1.8TSI Manual Gearbox and I feel like mine sometimes has a similar issue in second gear at times that it really shouldn't. I'll be far enough into first gear for second but when I go into second it kind of feels like it stutters and I've got my foot on the accelerator but it just doesn't feel like it wants to give me the power to pull forward.

I don't know if it's just coincidence or just in my head etc, but I feel like I tend to not get this as often when I turn Stop-Start off.

Also it doesn't happen too much at all but I'm pretty sure it doesn't feel normal lol :s

Ive had 1.8 manual and i get the exact same thing, only in 2nd gear, it seems more of a clutch problem to me than anything else.

Sometimes in 2nd it jutters abit, tends to be at the start of journeys when its cold for me.

I have put it down to the gear box oil being cold mabye?

Blackdog

Jul 14, 2015
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I’m struggling with a similar problem at the moment, which I’ve had from the very beginning (2 years ago).

In my case it’s a 1.8 TSI FR with a manual gear.

It happens sporadically, when you start the engine it something does not boot correctly. When it is in this mode when I try to move at a traffic light as soon as I start releasing the clutch I see the RPMs drop significantly and the car chokes and doesn’t respond. In second gear the problem is similar, you just don’t seem to have the power and you see the RPMs drop.

When it is in this anomalous mode you can accelerate to 3000RPM before releasing the clutch at the green light and it will drop well below 1000 RPM and just not move. Then slowly catch up, but very unresponsive.

One spin-off my wife discovered the other day is that when in this sluggish mode she just kicked the gas pedal to force a response and the engine revved up to around 6000 RMP and sticked there for a number of seconds even though she immediately lifted her foot from the gas. The car just didn’t jump forward because she kicked the brake.

This anomalous mode is completely random. Simply truning the engine off and on again solves the problem on most cases. On some extreme cases like yesterday it keps re-booting in the same “anomalous” mode for a number of times until it eventually boots correctly.

I have contacted SEAT in Holland (where I am) and they told me that they did not have any record of this failure. They suggested to take the car to the authorized service center for a 3-4 day perdiod, but with the caveat that if they don’t find the failure (might happen, this is a random failure) then all the garage costs will be on me. Furthermore, costs of a rental car for that period are also on me.

I find this simply outrageous, Why should I have to pay the costs of their debugging ?

I’m still trying to figure out how to deal with this (short of getting rid of the car), but wanted to know if any of the posters in this thread has gotten any positive resolution of their issues.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise