Scary SXE Toledo problem

desire

I'll get some redex just to be sure its not blocked injectors. Sometimes mine will cut out completely then come beack after a couple of seconds mostly will just judder and misfire. Hope the relay cures yours, let me know. Good Luck

snoopdogg

Praise the lord.....

Well im not holding my breath just quite yet but it looks like changing that relay
might just of cracked it:clap:

I've just changed it and took her out for a run and usualy within the diatance iv just been she would of conked out on me but nope it didnt happen :funk:

So hopefully all being well..touch wood..the old girl is cured :worship:

Thanks alot for all your advice guys :coolthumb and have a drink on me:drunk:

P.s i'll keep you informed if it hasnt worked :banghead2

rdv

Its almost certainly the ECU relay sometimes called the fuel injection relay. If it has no country of origin on it chuck it. The replacements are made in Germany

snoopdogg

Get this i spoke to soon took her out as i said and she was fine took her out again and she's back to her usual self loosing revs and the relay starts clicking like mad then she cuts out, thats after having a new coil, relay, plugs it got me beat anyone know a cheap mechanic with a diagnostics machine around the Lincoln area?

teknow

Feb 10, 2007
Great Wyrley, Walsall
Lost revs!

I've had the same problem on my 2000(W) 1.4 Ibiza.

I had a new key programmed into the car by an auto locksmith and he looked at the ECU faults.

The fault was reporting that an engine speed sensor was faulty. This is called a G28 sensor on other sites I have found and produces the same symptoms that you are all describing.

I think you can get them for £60+VAT but I plan on cleaning the connectors to mine within the next week and running it around for a while. If this fixes the problem then result! Otherwise, will replace the sensor.

I will keep you all posted.

desire

I've had the same problem on my 2000(W) 1.4 Ibiza.

I had a new key programmed into the car by an auto locksmith and he looked at the ECU faults.

The fault was reporting that an engine speed sensor was faulty. This is called a G28 sensor on other sites I have found and produces the same symptoms that you are all describing.

I think you can get them for £60+VAT but I plan on cleaning the connectors to mine within the next week and running it around for a while. If this fixes the problem then result! Otherwise, will replace the sensor.

I will keep you all posted.

Thanks for the post. It sounds interesting. I think i'm going to have to book mine in for a session on a diagnostic machine to try and cure this. Sorry to hear the relay didn't work snoop. Keep posting!!!

teknow

Feb 10, 2007
Great Wyrley, Walsall
Sod's law

Well a whole week has passed since I had my new key programmed to the car.

The bloke cleared the faults from the ECU as earlier reported and since this I haven't had any problems.

On Friday I took the car in to the Seat dealer to have a "recall notice" addressed. Concerned the servo vaccum pipe or something and should have been done ages ago. They told me it would just be an inspection, but they ended up changing bits looks like the pipe that comes off the top of the engine and the black (servo?) box that it goes to ... sorry for lack of technical ability!

Could this have been the cause of the problem I wonder? Dunno.

Other theory is that the starter motor packed in at 50,000 miles and when the mechanic examined it he said the insides had disintegrated. It was replaced with a non-genuine part which has been fine for the last 25,000 miles. I wonder if the crap that came out of the original starter motor had got on that G28 sensor I mentioned earlier? The two are very close together I understand.

Will keep posting here regardless of whether it happens again or not.

Ian.

teknow

Feb 10, 2007
Great Wyrley, Walsall
Well - this problem hasn't happened again.

However, the whining noise that is coming from the gearbox is likely to set me back £400 to £600 depending if it is just the main bearings or "something else"!

Also - the starter motor that was fitted 2 years ago at 50,000 miles [ now got 72000 on the clock ] is showing signs of going ! Could my gearbox be knackering the starter prematurely??????? :wtf:

I'm almost resigned to replacing the gearbox now - unless any of you experts out there can save my bacon with another recommendation? :confused:

snoopdogg

I havnt had time to do anything else with mine iv had to borrow a car for long distance journys....my missus oldman has spoke to a couple of mechs and they all reckon its a loose wire somewhere, wot good that is to me i dont know..."loose wire?" where do you start theres thousands of wires it'll be like looking for a needle in a hay field not stack:shrug:

So im letting them have a look at it, im holding my hands up and admiting it's got me beat:(

So i'll keep you informed if they can find the problem, the only thing im worried about is there BILL:wtf:

teknow

Feb 10, 2007
Great Wyrley, Walsall
Since I had the new key cut 3 weeks have passed without a hiccup .....

... wierd ...

So its one of 3 things then:

1. There was something wrong with the "master key" I was using after losing the original key?

2. Clearing the faults out of the ECU stopped the problem (software glitch?)

3. Sods law - it isn't fixed and will come back again one day.

I'm having the main bearings in my dodgy gearbox done on Thursday but everyone says this wouldn't be causing the problem.

Still non the wiser - but will keep posting here. :funk:

teknow

Feb 10, 2007
Great Wyrley, Walsall
Car jolted this morning at 80mph on the motorway. Only for a second and then resumed as normal.

No EPC light this time though and it did not limit me to 3000rpm.

I'd put money on it being that G28 sensor ... but until she stops I'm not spending a penny.

snoopdogg

G28 sensor

well let us know if you have any luck with it mate....i'll keep my fingers crossed you've fixed it. wot does the G28 sensor do mate and do you know how much they are if you haveto buy one?

Good luck catch you later mate.

teknow

Feb 10, 2007
Great Wyrley, Walsall
G28 is an engine speed sensor. It reads off the flywheel [cleverly]

It is down near the starter motor i'm told but is a bugger to get to coz the engine mount gets in the way. Held on with 3 bolts.

I believe there are 2 types depending on chassis number but only difference is the size of the bolts they are held in with??

Around £60+VAT from main dealer.

Others seem to have had problems with them - as well as the connector which sometimes with a bit of a clean can sort the problem out.

Problem is it could also be a damaged flywheel or something else that is causing the ECU to log this error.

I'm having my bearings done in the gearbox over the weekend, so will get them to inspect the flywheel for damage during this process and clean up the contacts.

teknow

Feb 10, 2007
Great Wyrley, Walsall
It happened again on the way home tonight.

No EPC light this time but limited me to 3000rpm.

Was good weather so no damp in electrics or anything like that, was mostly sitting in traffic on the way out of Nottingham. Then it was running a little lumpy and max rpm 3000 (electronically limited for some reason)

Turned off engine and back on again and back to normal.

Until this point it had been about 3 weeks or so since it had happened.

Was down to just under 1/4 tank of petrol at the time - am seriously wondering about this fuel problem!

teknow

Feb 10, 2007
Great Wyrley, Walsall
Just found this thread (dates back to 2002) http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79487

Looks like the solution might well be the G28 sensor - keep an eye on the above thread coz Ibiza Guy had this problem way back and he is still a member!

Basically he removed the sensor, cleaned it up, cleaned the plug and refitted it.

I've asked the question whether he's had any problems since so watch the aboe thread!

:clap:

snoopdogg

Hello agen....im taking mine to a garage tomorrow im to busy at work to have any time to mess about with it lately....i got told it might of been the crank sensor from the start but i'll find out wot the mech's have to say about mine and i'll let you know.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members