1. Hi Guest. We've recently updated our forum rules. Please take some time to review them. You can read the new rules here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Scraping sound when accelerating

Discussion in 'Mk1 Leon FAQ's (1M) 2000-2006' started by Suz, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Suz

Suz Active Member

Hi. I have had a look for a thread on this but I couldn't find anything that matched what it seems is happening in my car.
    So I've noticed that when I accelerate in lower gears, my car makes a horrible scraping sound for around 2-5 seconds maybe. I don't know how else to describe it.
    When I had my windows open it sounded like it was coming from the front passenger side, however I'm not too sure on that.
    I don't know much about cars at all so I'm thinking I'll need to take it to the garage.
    The sound doesn't usually occur if I accelerate really gently.
    Any ideas what it could be?

2. MarkTDI

MarkTDI Active Member

Gearbox ?

If it has not had a gearbox oil change then worth doing as doesn't cost much and what comes out is often like black water or treacle and not much of it on older cars as not many people ever bother to check the gearbox level or replace it.

3. Pew.

Pew. Active Member

Gear box or clutch/flywheel are my guesses

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. verbal_kint

verbal_kint Active Member

I would get a bit more basic and check for something caught underneath.

I went for a good while trying to work out what my horrible screeching was at low revs and turning, when i eventually looked I found the inner steel wire from a wheel trim someone had deposited on the road had wound itself around the drive-shaft and scraping against parts. Luckily it hadn't hit any pipes or hoses.

Also, does it happen at stand still when you rev the engine?

#4 verbal_kint, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018