Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.

Search Facility Rant

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Merchandise' started by DubSteve68, Dec 11, 2010.

1. DubSteve68

DubSteve68 Active Member

I've seen a number of questions posted where members have replied with "Try using the search facility". This is particularly unhelpful in so far as if you are going to bother taking the time to type something like the above it will only take a few more seconds to add "...next time" and then a link to the appropriate thread.

If the appropriate thread really is that easy to find (which thanks to the relatively crude search functions on many forums, results frequently bear little relevance) then a link to the info would be very helpful for the next person who stumbles across the original (unanswered) question.

To illustrate the point, I'm having a problem with the rear washer on my Leon. I search in the appropriate section and eventually find the info I'm looking for, but only after reading several posts where there is little or nothing of use in the responses due to the "Try searching" type meaningless answers.

To those that are serially guilty of doing this, how about next time you need to remind someone to use the search function you actually give them a useful pointer in the right direction and say to them something like "I took 5 minutes out to find this for you, don't forget to search before posting questions... :idea:". It will stop you looking like a smug, superior to$$er and people will respect you more for actually being helpful.

Cheers, DubSteve

2. DPJ

DPJ ...........

The trouble is that when people start new threads instead of adding to an existing ones, more and more bitty threads come up in the search, making it difficult for people to find the useful ones.

#2 DPJ, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  3. LEE69

LEE69 Stage 2 Revo'd

I am guilty of this, do i care, not really.
    If you could use the search function properly the threads are there to be found.

4. DPJ

DPJ ...........

Those that say 'use the search' are usually those that are generally the most helpful here, but get tired of answering the same question over and over and over again.

I'm sorry if some people get wrongly tarred with the brush 'too lazy to search' - but most are just that.

(the others that say it are the newly converted who have seen the error of their ways.... :D )

#4 DPJ, Dec 11, 2010
  5. traumapat

traumapat Leon Cupra IHI

Sorry but use the search. Youll learn more and youll find people get irritated having to answer the same bunch of questions weekly.
    Admittedly sometimes the results take some sifting but why expect others to do it?
    Its worth the effort :)

6. andycupra

andycupra status subject to change

Im a long term member, and i have to say i am sympathetic.

When i first used the site i found it difficult to find what i was looking for, and honestly i find the search function not to be particularly good on here.
    Im not to saying the site, people or search function are poor, but its difficult to effectively search for something when there are so many similair threads, or theads which start well and end up as being a chat facility, lots of entries not adding alot. And lets not forget often people dont know what to search for, they wont know what a maf is, what an FPR, CTS etc are. Not to mention something can be spelled many ways depending on whos writting it.

Anwyay, back to the point of the thread, i do think that there are many unhelpful enties, such as 'use the search'. ok make that point, but help them a little, give them a pointer, suggestions of abbreviations that apply etc. I do try, and i resist simply writting search, i will try to give them pointers where i can.

how many posts have they made? just a few? maybe even just 1? - they are new, give them a bit of slack, make them feel welcome.
    hundreds or thousands of enties... well perhaps less patience may apply.

#6 andycupra, Dec 11, 2010
  7. DPJ

DPJ ...........

The trouble is, it's becoming the norm for newbies to post threads willy nilly as if SCN works the same as Twitter/Facebook. They seem not to understand how a forum works and care little for the rules. Unless there is some check, there will be chaos. Do we want our high standard to be dragged down?

8. andycupra

andycupra status subject to change

it is difficult.

i would think that a pointer to the search facility and a tip, eg try searching for door seal repair, or maf or coil pack would show them the wway to do it but is also helpful.

9. si-mate

si-mate Jai Ho or Jay Ho?

I actually find this forum to have the best search facility of any I use. Another I use regularly has a 60 second delay between searches and another requires you to one of those stupid squiggly font words.

10. Nath.

Nath. The Gentlemans Express

I'm sure this topic has been covered before, if you do a search I'm sure there are threads all about it. :whistle:

11. Slimy

The problem I find is that new threads pop up, which are a question with some vague responses. But because that thread has shown up, the older thread with the very useful detailed information disappears to the bottom of the list, or in the worst case gets thrown out with the trash. So I think it would be useful for people to go and search for the older thread, perhaps update it with their experiences or required variations. Then those useful threads would evolve and become the source of information for the newbies.

The only thing I might suggest is that some of the most popular threads with good information on (VAGCOM for Mk2 Leon springs to mind) get transferred into a permanent 'FAQ' topic on the forum. Now I know there is a similar thing on the SCN main page, but because Google does such a fantastic job of only showing threads instead of the bigger picture, most people don't even know they're there. How many people have come to this forum, and not even realised there is a whole website on top of it? At least if they were in the forum they would be picked up by Google. People could vote on whether a thread gets FAQ'ed perhaps, and over a certain limit the thread gets promoted?

12. Brummy

Brummy Nazi Moderator-Bot

Although sympathetic with your issue (well, not really, i dont have a Leon ;) ) my knee jerk reaction to this is 'another noob trying to tell us ho;w the forum should operate..' it is/can be very tedious when you're faced with pages full of gripes about this that and the other when you log on tbh, this is a VERY imformative site if you think things through when using the search.... *GO ADVANCED*.. put a few more details in, rather than just a simple word like "leak" and expect to find the Holy Grail..

now Im sure given time, when you've learnt all there is to know about Leons, you will sit , tirelessly giving out all the info you have to all the newbies that come on and whine about not being able to find the info.....:sleeping:

13. DPJ

DPJ ...........

Interesting point on Google............

We try to be selective about what gets moved to FAQs. The difficulty we have is where members start threads in the FAQs themselves, it seems harsh to move them out (witness the multitude of how-to-change-a-bulb threads in Mk5 Ibiza FAQ.)

14. Crafoo

Crafoo Crazy Fool!

Like others have said before in most cases where the response to a newly opened thread is that of "use the search" is normally because it's obvious that someone hasn't tried at all, and in a lot of cases these people do seem to be fairly newly registered to the site and long term members do get bored of answering the same questions over and over again (usually dump valve related :sleeping:).

If these newly registered folk would have done the first step and the read the rules which should be the first port of call, they would see the section which mentions the use of the search facility to find the answer you are after (also with tips on searching) rather than creating new threads because you are too lazy to spend 5 minutes trying to find the answer for yourself.

excerpt from the rules

Search Tips
    The forum has been active since 2001, and as such a forum this large has a vast number of re-posts. A great deal of this information can be overlooked by New Users. We politely encourage users to lookup the information that is freely available to find if you simply use the search functions - Click here for Search functions

Be specific and enter lots of keywords, also narrow your search field by searching only specific forum sections. For example if its a Leon specific query, set the search engine to only search in the Leon forums. The more information you give the search engine the more chance it has of finding something from the database that answers your question.

Many common questions, such as dump valves (whooshy), chip tuning (remaps) have been discussed in great length many times before. If you have searched and can either not find what your looking for or have more questions relating to the subject that may not of been answered. Then by all means start a new thread in a relevant section. If the subject is already covered in an existing thread then please add to the existing subject rather than starting a new thread.

15. jc_boc

jc_boc Back in CUPRA ..... R!

erm, try using the search facility [B)] hehehehehehehheehhe. Just kidding. I must admit, when I first started using the search facility I did struggle a good deal but it has become more easy with regular use. I personally don't mind helping out but do usually check if it's a newbie or not. As said, some folk are genuinely too lazy to search themselves.

16. DPJ

DPJ ...........

There's also the factor that they'd prefer to ask the last person who had the problem........ that last person isn't necessarily the best source of information ...... a bit like Chinese Whispers really. :scary:

17. jc_boc

jc_boc Back in CUPRA ..... R!

Aint that the truth.

18. Slimy

Yep, I'd agree with that. It almost seems like the older the information gets the more 'unreliable' it is thought to be, whereas in fact the earliest threads had the most contributors and is more likely to be accurate.

19. DPJ

DPJ ...........

I'm 100% in agreement with that!

Unfortunately, those that should learn from this thread will never read it........

20. Dean T

Dean T Guest

I'm new to the forum, rather than post every question I wanted answering I went away and searched and tried to find the answers I was looking for, spent quite a lot of time doing so but got good information.

I then posted the remaining questions I had in a thread.

I appreciate time was on my side and sometimes there are occasions when people do need a quick answer though.

There is nothing worse than new members coming on a forum and asking questions which have been asked time and time and time again.

£0.02 :)