Seat and Leon virgin

jonnywright

Ya if u have a look at even leons that ur friends have or something. will give u a better idea when u looking at it.

also check and the very bottom of the rear doors near the side skirts it can sometimes rust there.

but looks like a nice car i had a 110bhp leon for my first car had it sitting about 140 or so after a bit of playing but the cupra r kit is the best u can get and is so worth it i put the whole kit on my leon and every1 always said they loved it so when it can to me changing cars i couldnt sell it so now have it and a 130tdi toledo lol :)

juneau

Dec 29, 2010
Midlands
True and he did say I wouldn't be disappointed. I came across the first advert on eBay last night and he's advertising free warranty with it aswell now. Don't know if that mean a lot though these days as they always seem to toggle out of doing any work in my experience.
I'll have a look for that rust problem aswell as that's the firs I've heard about it tbh. It's posts like like this that made me want a Leon in the first place though as every owner seems to be in love with their Leon be it petrol or diesel, cupra r 225 or base line

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
If you don't go & have a look at it you'll never know if it was the 1,i knew mine was the right 1 for me as soon as i saw the ad on auto trader,had a good feeling & rang up about it as soon as i saw the ad,following day i bought it

juneau

Dec 29, 2010
Midlands
Right I just phoned up a seat dealership for the Williams of Nottingham Leon and managed to track down where he bought it from originally. He bought it from Livingston in Scotland and unfortuneatley they only have service history for 2006 and 2008. Seat did say that due to them being franchises, each dealership has their own database so it could be that he moved from Scotland and used some other seat dealership or just even a independent garage. I'm just going to have to go and have a look like you guys say, maybe even convince the garage to change the cam belt and water pump for me before I buy it =D

jonnywright

ya thats the best thing to do cause i also knew when i first saw my leon i just had to have it and i still love that car my first wee car that was a pure rocket :)

juneau

Dec 29, 2010
Midlands
Been to see a Leon today and want to see what you guys think about it.
This is the link: http://www.delphgarage.co.uk/used-cars/seat-leon-1-9-tdi-150-fr-5dr-dudley-201221473517814
I had a good look at the service book and as advertised it had all the stamps up until present with regular oil changes, although there wasn't any receipts for the water pump and cam belt and the guy didn't know if it had it done either. I told him it was a deal breaker though and he did say that if I buy the belt and pump etc that he would do it for free. The only negative thing I could find was that 3 tires were bald but he said he would replace them.
I didn't drive it but turned it on and it sounded nice and strong. I also tried the air con on auto and there was no weird noises or that fan problem and there wasn't any signs of damage from the door seals or any rust. There wasn even any damn stone chips!
As for price he wasnt budging in the slightest as he said he knows it will be gone next week, and tbh any other salesman I'd take it as sales patter but I actually believe him based on the condition of it. He also said he would give me £2000 for my C2 which isn't great tbh so I'd have to find £1700 from somewhere =( with that, the increased insurance and the fact I've just been given 3 points on my licence for speeding means its going to be a bit tight but do able.
So what do you think?

juneau

Dec 29, 2010
Midlands
Also has any one else seen those holes/cover things in the bumper before? The ones under the headlights? They look like maybe where washer jets would go but there slightly too big and seem to far away. They look standard though and aren't some mod but I've never seen them before or at least never noticed them

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
That's where two of the bumper fixing bolts are. On other bumpers the rubbing strip hides the holes.

Last edited:

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
The cupra r bumper is the only 1 that hides them.

Looks nice & have cambelt & water pump done will be peace of mind,i prefer that bumper,do think you needed to drive it tho,as for ur car could you sell it private ?

juneau

Dec 29, 2010
Midlands
Oh right, I've never noticed them before. Does that mean you can't upgrade to the cupra r bumper? I like both bumpers but I do prefer the cupra r one tbh.
If I do decide to get it I will be driving it first before I hand over any cash, its just this was a last minute discovery so I didn't have time. I would prefer to sell my car privately but can't do without a car in the mean time because of work etc, plus it feels like I've had my arm cut off when I havent got a car. I hate that I'm basically giving the car away, especially when I've just finished paying off the £7k it cost me 5 years ago =..(
What do you think about the price?

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
Been to see a Leon today and want to see what you guys think about it.
This is the link: http://www.delphgarage.co.uk/used-cars/seat-leon-1-9-tdi-150-fr-5dr-dudley-201221473517814
I had a good look at the service book and as advertised it had all the stamps up until present with regular oil changes, although there wasn't any receipts for the water pump and cam belt and the guy didn't know if it had it done either. I told him it was a deal breaker though and he did say that if I buy the belt and pump etc that he would do it for free. The only negative thing I could find was that 3 tires were bald but he said he would replace them.
I didn't drive it but turned it on and it sounded nice and strong. I also tried the air con on auto and there was no weird noises or that fan problem and there wasn't any signs of damage from the door seals or any rust. There wasn even any damn stone chips!
As for price he wasnt budging in the slightest as he said he knows it will be gone next week, and tbh any other salesman I'd take it as sales patter but I actually believe him based on the condition of it. He also said he would give me £2000 for my C2 which isn't great tbh so I'd have to find £1700 from somewhere =( with that, the increased insurance and the fact I've just been given 3 points on my licence for speeding means its going to be a bit tight but do able.
So what do you think?

I'd say you definitely want the cambelt, tensioner and water pump replacing as it's due on age if not mileage. Also for the price some decent new tyres and not ditchfinders.

The car looks clean otherwise. If the service history checks out (esp. oil changes at the required intervals), all electrics work and there are no mechanical or cosmetic issues it could be worth a punt.

juneau

Dec 29, 2010
Midlands
Bad news, he sold it today =( he has said that if the deal falls through tho he will call me. Btw can you put the cupra r bumper on any mark 1?

frfred2009

Apr 22, 2012
Stoke On Trent
Hi, not read the whole thread, but if you are buying check the pre tensioner has been done at same time as Cam. Its not a part of the Cam belt change work recommended by Seat, but when one goes its as disastrous as the cam belt going. Mine went M1 outside lane at 90....was interesting !
Pump is a good change choice at same time if you get the opportunity.

juneau

Dec 29, 2010
Midlands
No ones mentioned that as of yet so thanks. I've got me quite a list of things to check now lol when I went to look at the last one I think the sales man was a bit intimidated as I knew more about the car than him. It's always funny when they start trying to feed you rubbish and you tell them your part of seatcupra.net lol they go all quiet for some reason =S

juneau

Dec 29, 2010
Midlands
Still no luck finding one =( plenty of mk2's though strangely enough and I'm getting that frustrated I'm tempted! The vast amount though tells me somethings wrong with them

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.