Seat Ibiza MK3 20vt Advice

Schumigt20vt

Nov 4, 2010
Good evening to all the members , i am from Greece and i am interested for 3rd time in the last 9 years to buy again an Ibiza MK3 20vt not Cupra, here in Greece we had also the detuned MK3 20vt ''simple version''. which had bucket seats, normal 16 inches alloys,simple brakes, and a simple interior without the details of the Cupra model. The engines though, were the AYP and the AQX same as the Cupra with the normal turbocharger K03 if i am not mistaken. Anyway i have found a couple of bargains here, because of the price in the petrol fuel rising, and the annual taxes also for having a 1.8 liter car , many of the owners are selling a lot of 20vt`s , but i need your advice in order to get an Ibiza as clean as possible, and not a lemon.

My questions are :

1. How to thoroughly check the engine for possible future problems or serious damage from weary parts, connecting rods, pistons, piston rings. I know that i can perform a compression ratio test in the cylinders, in a auto workshop but is there any other way to be sure about the good running condition of the engine ?

2. The prices between Ibiza MK3 6K 20vt and MK4 6L FR are very identical, in your opinion and reliability wise, which of the 2 would you recommend me to buy ?

3. After a lot of mileage is it obligatory for these engines to have a general overhauling , i mean to replace con rods, pistons,valve springs, head gasket, or this depends on how well the car was preserved when it was needed from his previous owner?

4. If i have the Ross Tech VAG COM will i be able to check in detail the faults of the car? Or if the fault codes have been erased, it will be difficult to make these checks ? I know if the problem keeps occuring it will appear , but here they find all sort of new tricks in erasing the faults, and even removing the electric resistances of the lights from behind the dashboard lights, so if the problem occurs the light will not stay lit in the dashboard!

I would really appreciate your assistance in helping me choose a good MK3 20vt.

Thank You

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise