Seat Ibiza PD130 BLT Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement

Discussion in 'Ibiza Mk4' started by Foo Bar, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Foo Bar

Foo Bar New Member

Hi all,

I've recently had some issues with my Ibiza starting. At first it was the odd few extra seconds cranking, or it would fire on the second attempt. It then packed it and cranked no start. Code read it (not vagcom) and it gave "Engine speed sensor - No signal".

Checked the wiring, checked for continuity between the CPS (crankshaft position sensor) plug and ECU and ensured the sensor itself wasn't open circuit. Checked the plugs and terminals, cleaned them up and put it back together.

It then started, I cleared the codes and went on my way. It worked for a day or two then returned to a crank no start state. Rechecked the wiring, cranked with camshaft position sensor unplugged which made no difference.

Ordered up a crank sensor and oil filter housing gasket from TPS and got it today. Bit of a pig, oil pressure switch off, 4 filter housing bolts off (snapped my ball-end hex in one, lovely). As I was on my driveway I left the coolant lines connected and the turbo oil feed pipe. Some more swearing later I got the pesky 12 point bolt out holding the CPS in and tried to budge it.

2. Foo Bar

Foo Bar New Member

It wasn't having any of it. Penetrating spray, brute force and everything else under the sun. With a long pry bar I gently rocked the sensor to free it slightly, went underneath and gave it a good old tug and out it came. Inspected the old sensor and this is where I realized.

3. Foo Bar

Foo Bar New Member

Image: https://prnt.sc/k4ek73

Image: https://prnt.sc/k4elnl

Part of the old sensor had remained in the block, breaking at the face of the sensor. Due to the horrible access and the nature of it I'm unsure of how to proceed.

The only thing I can think of is to completely remove the oil filter housing, possibly the front end too and melt it out?

4. R3k1355

R3k1355 Senior Member

No access to get anything long enough in??

Wind a self-tapper into the broken bit and try to wiggle it free?