Seat ibiza SE 1.4 - Car Overheating?

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Hey guys

I have a 2009 1.4 ibiza SE. I noticed that my my engine feel quite warm (that warm air hits you) when you open the bonnet. More from the side left side where the alternator , ac compressor and all the the pulleys are. I noticed that when my car is up to temp (well I believe it is as car is running 10 - 15mins - seen there.is no temp gauge on my car) that the radiator fan kicks in, which I no is normal but seems to do it every couple of minutes while stationary. I've not lost ant coolant but since we don't have a temp gauge I'm not sure if it's something to be concerned about?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Have you checked if the cooling fan low speed is working okay, that can fail due to dropper resistors failing?
I was unaware there was a slow fan cooling speed. So what us the purpose of it being a low speed fan?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
To trim back the coolant temperature as the temperature rises above the optimum level.

Edit:- if that is working then the coolant temperature is controlled to stay within acceptable limits, if it does not, the fast speed kicks in as the temperature rises to a "too high" level and hopefully pulls it back down.

Reactions: everson38

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
To trim back the coolant temperature as the temperature rises above the optimum level.

Edit:- if that is working then the coolant temperature is controlled to stay within acceptable limits, if it does not, the fast speed kicks in as the temperature rises to a "too high" level and hopefully pulls it back down.
So these low fan speeds when do they actually come on? Is it on constantly? As the fast speed is when it hits a very high temp but when should you see the low fans come on.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'll give rough approximations as to when the fan runs and its speed high or low:- engine coolant temp 90C no fan running, 110C fan running slow speed and will continue to until the coolant temperature drops down to 95C, 120C fan speed changes to fast speed and will continue until the coolant temperature has dropped back down to 105C then the speed changes back to slow speed. At all times the AC is switched on the fan speed will be fast regardless of the engine coolant temperature. As I said these are just typical points/temps that the fan will run and at what speed.

Reactions: everson38

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
I'll give rough approximations as to when the fan runs and its speed high or low:- engine coolant temp 90C no fan running, 110C fan running slow speed and will continue to until the coolant temperature drops down to 95C, 120C fan speed changes to fast speed and will continue until the coolant temperature has dropped back down to 105C then the speed changes back to slow speed. At all times the AC is switched on the fan speed will be fast regardless of the engine coolant temperature. As I said these are just typical points/temps that the fan will run and at what speed.
Thanks for this rum. So let's say that the low fan speed has stopped working. Is this a must fix urgent issue? I ask cz if cooling fan kicks in (fast one) doesn't this just do the job that is needed anyway?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that it is always a good plan to get/keep things working as they should, if you lived in the far North of UK and never got stuff in heavy traffic, then you could get away with the slow speed not working - but there again, that slow speed, ie its series dropper resistors would not see much action so would not have failed.

So, bottom line, best to get it sorted as it not working will be causing overheating of the engine at times.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
I think that it is always a good plan to get/keep things working as they should, if you lived in the far North of UK and never got stuff in heavy traffic, then you could get away with the slow speed not working - but there again, that slow speed, ie its series dropper resistors would not see much action so would not have failed.

So, bottom line, best to get it sorted as it not working will be causing overheating of the engine at times.
OK I'll have a look at trying to diagnosing if it has gone or not. Do you know how I would go about that. Or also I was gna ask do you no of a vw car that is similar to a mk5 seat ibiza that has a haynes manual so I can try sort some problems as the forum doesn't always have what you need.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
For most powertrain/chassis issues, the equivalent Polo 6R/6C Haynes will work, I bought that for my wife's 2015 6C which was the later version of the 6R Polo, main differences being the "electronics package" and 1.2TSI engines - it worked okay and I used it for my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza which has been replaced by a new Leon Cupra!

One thing though, maybe check the Haynes website as they might have brought out a manual for that Ibiza by now, I seem to remember hearing that recently.

Edit:- https://haynes.com/en-gb/seat/ibiza/2008-2017-0

Is that not what you want, I've ordered direct from Haynes in the past.

Last edited:

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
For most powertrain/chassis issues, the equivalent Polo 6R/6C Haynes will work, I bought that for my wife's 2015 6C which was the later version of the 6R Polo, main differences being the "electronics package" and 1.2TSI engines - it worked okay and I used it for my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza which has been replaced by a new Leon Cupra!

One thing though, maybe check the Haynes website as they might have brought out a manual for that Ibiza by now, I seem to remember hearing that recently.

Edit:- https://haynes.com/en-gb/seat/ibiza/2008-2017-0

Is that not what you want, I've ordered direct from Haynes in the past.
Thanks for this info. I have been waiting for a while but never time in enter my reg it says it doesn't have one. But they do have an ibiza mk5 book from 08 - 2017. It must just nit cover then 1.4 SC SE model or something but better to have than not.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes, a mistake by Haynes I think, initially I entered the reg number of my daughter's previous Ibiza and got "zero" - so I went further and entered the car type with a reg date of 2012 I think, and that worked, so I'm guessing a slight mistake on the Haynes website. It does say that it covers SC, Hatch and ST and includes the engine for your mum's and your sister's cars.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise