SEAT keep the New Leon Cupra underwraps

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
There will be a distinctly sporty atmosphere on the SEAT stand at the British International Motor Show this July. Not only is the vibrant Spanish manufacturer previewing the exciting new Leon Cupra for the first time anywhere in the world, it will also be showing off the new Leon FR and Altea FR, to coincide with the launch of the full FR Series in the UK.

Link To Original Article

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
cool. i got tickets tot he premier, so will get to see the actuall launch,

Athough sad as it sounds, actually looking forward more to seeing the new Freelander 2 in the flesh as my old man has put a deposit down already, looks lush.......mmmm mmm

NeilW

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yorkshire!!!
So is that pic on the main article actually of the new Cupra? From what you can see it doesn't look much different to the FR. Where's the huge red brembos, skirts and spoilers????? :(

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
On the High res image you can just make out the std looking callipers (same as FR) and the very FR bumper, and exhaust looks identical

however, I kind of expect the Cupra to look very similar to the FR, but with brembo's an oval exhaust - maybe that's about it....

NeilW

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yorkshire!!!
I see what you mean Mork. Just been comparing the Yellow FR pics with these Cupra teasers and, apart from the bigger wheels I'm stumped. Would have thought they'd do a bit more to differentiate the two (like VW did with the GTi and R32).

What's to stop someone buying the FR, sticking on the Cupra wheels and remapping the ECU to the same 240bhp??? Would probably save a few quid as well.

Surely in the three weeks before the show they can stick on some skirts, different bumpers etc.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I need to have a good look under the bonnet of a TFSi

But on a car I saw recently, it looked like it had a different turbo on it....

So I don't think the Cupra will be a maxxed out k03s based 2.0T like the GTi & FR use.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Well anything above 225, cynics might say 230 :p But most of the mumberlings i've heard and in the press, indicate it will be 240bhp. Torque no idea, but its likely to be a bit more than the Leon R, its a bigger engine after all, and the Golf Gti was praised in the press for its torque delivery.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
m0rk said:
I need to have a good look under the bonnet of a TFSi

But on a car I saw recently, it looked like it had a different turbo on it....

So I don't think the Cupra will be a maxxed out k03s based 2.0T like the GTi & FR use.

:funk: I'd always thought/hoped it was a different/bigger turbo, even though other said not :p. Bigger tubby should remap nicely :D

But pray tell - what's this mysterious "car you saw recently"? :think:

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Feel said:
:funk: I'd always thought/hoped it was a different/bigger turbo, even though other said not :p. Bigger tubby should remap nicely :D

But pray tell - what's this mysterious "car you saw recently"? :think:
If it is a bigger turbo, do you recon they'd stay borg warner (excuse the spelling) or go garret / ihi. This cupra could be a belta depending on the turbo it is packaged with.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
AFAIK the current GTi/TFSi/vRS 2.0T uses an updated K03, so I assume they'll do the same and use an updated K04...

They're out there, the Asbo/T4(?) uses one. although it more than likely packaged very differently to one one that VAG might use.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Feel said:
AFAIK the current GTi/TFSi/vRS 2.0T uses an updated K03, so I assume they'll do the same and use an updated K04...

They're out there, the Asbo/T4(?) uses one. although it more than likely packaged very differently to one one that VAG might use.
Your probably right Phil, but it would be nice to see the likes of a detuned VF34 or similar.

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
jason said:
are we waiting for an almighty anti climax?

Dunno. It will shift for sure. Great kit for the price. Great looks still (even if it only has the FR kit) IMHO. 18" poss 19" optional wheels - big red brakes - http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphotos/6060414.001/6060414.001.mini2L.jpg
(can't see why they would be testing them if they weren't going to use them). I think the pic above with the cover is not a full Cupra spec car (the wheels are the same though). Still we are speculating of course (which is fun).

All will be revealed soon - and I still will want one either way. :yes:

Scott

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.