SEAT LCR Platinum with teaching session

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
Andy contcated me having read lots of my reviews, he'd spoken to people who had already had their cars detailed and wanted his LCR detailing properly too. Dave, a mate, is also getting into a detailing, so he popped up from Wrexham for the day to pick up more experience. His car was detailed back in March/April time and he's really got the bug now lol.

So here's the car waiting for me to get started:
ec14b311.jpg

ec14b311.jpg

Some close ups of the troubled areas:
ec14b416.jpg

ec14b413.jpg

ec14b415.jpg

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
So we got started - if you've read my reports you'll know my routine by now:
DP foam gun shampoo, APC alloys and arches. Today tho we used the Gilmour on the O/S of the car, and the Karcher Foam gun on the N/S. (see separate report. Here's the Gilmour shots:
ec14b2e6.jpg

ec14b2b8.jpg

ec14b253.jpg

Two bucket wash. Rinsed it down, then using the karcher for lub spray, Pinnacle Poly Clay and gave it a good surface clean.
Managed to wash, clay, re-wash and dry in just over hour and a half.

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
Having tidied up we stopped for bacon butties, and let the car dry off a bit of its own accord. I then dried using a Super Guzzler, and the odd spritz of QD.
Once dried we taped using the 3m tape, set the kit up amd took the PDG readings:
ec14b210.jpg

Dave taping up:
ec14b15d.jpg

Whilst I was doing that, Andy went round and marked the spots requiring some extra attention:
ec14b1b8.jpg

First up was the Metabo, a wolfgang polishing pad and pinnacle Swirl Remover. Here's the minor swirling before shots:
ec14b18e.jpg

ec14b18c.jpg

I didnt take the after shots, whilst the bonnet was improved, and the surface swirls had been removed, all I could see under the halogen light were the swirls the bodyshop had sprayed over - Gutted! So onwards, continued with combo and de-swirled surface blow over panels and the original panels. Needless to say, the original panels all looked mint, shame the bonnet had the swirling underneath. Both Andy and Dave got to experience the rotary and its power:
ec14b111.jpg

Next using a finishind pad on the Metabo and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish we worked my way round, putting a true shine back into the paintwork:
ec14b085.jpg

Using the PC, a finishing pad and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant, applied to the whole car and left to cure for 30 minutes.

Whilst that cured Andy applied megs #20 sealant to the alloys. Wiped the wolfgang clear, cleaned the windows in and out with Stoners, Poorboys Bold n Brite in arches, and Optimum Tyre Shine to the treads.

I then applied Collinite 845 IW using a Megs foam applicator, left to cure for 20 mins, and wiped clear with a Poorboys Ultra Plush MF. A final wipe down with Pinnacle Crystal Mist, and the detail was complete. Here's the products we used on the paint:
ec14b06b.jpg

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
Total work time around 6 hours, job doen, moved outside, the boys fitted the blanking plates:
ec14afb6.jpg

ec14af35.jpg

ec14afda.jpg

ec14af16.jpg

some close ups:
ec14afc5.jpg

ec14ae8f.jpg

and yes, it was raining when we'd done:
ec14aece.jpg

Thanks to Andy and Dave for taking the time to visit today, was an enjoyable social meet too :)

thanks for reading, Iain.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Cheers for inviting me along today to get some experience, it was good to refresh on qhat i was shown earlier this year, and learn some new techniques to take away and apply.
Shame the weather was poor and we couldn't get some pics of the paintwork in the sunlight.
Nice to meet Andy too :)

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Ah whats the foam gun on the hose pipe? Been meaning to get something like this but thought it was for jet washers only? Is it worth it or should i stop being lazy and get the jetter out?

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Whats with the weird pic of Andy on his bonnet? lol

He pulled a quick cheesy smile for the camera, just as it snapped. Priceless:lol:
The foam gun is pretty good, but not cheap. Its RRP is £50, but it is worth it if you plan to use it alot, however on comparison to the karcher foam gun, they were equally as good in their own right.
I'm sure Iain will go into it in more detail, but the karcher was a finer mist of foam, where as the Gilmour was a thick, sludgy type of foam.

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
He pulled a quick cheesy smile for the camera, just as it snapped. Priceless:lol:
The foam gun is pretty good, but not cheap. Its RRP is £50, but it is worth it if you plan to use it alot, however on comparison to the karcher foam gun, they were equally as good in their own right.
I'm sure Iain will go into it in more detail, but the karcher was a finer mist of foam, where as the Gilmour was a thick, sludgy type of foam.

I hope he kept the machine moving whilst he was smiling!

Last edited:

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Cheers, i will order one for crimbo!
It says 40-90 psi, but how much is a stock hose pipe? i wouldnt have thought it was anywhere near that?

Any recomendations on foam as well?

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
I have no idea on the actual pressure from my hose pipe, but it foams up as you can see in those pics.
Yesterday i used Fairy liquid to strip a car down, and then i used Poorboys Slick and suds to wash and clay, and they both foamed up as well as the DP Iain put in it today in the above pics.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.