Seat leon 2.0 tfsi 2009 mk2 noise

Matty92

Mar 18, 2018
Hi, my 2.0 tfsi makes a knocking type noise i can only hear it from inside the car, it doesnt sound like tappets, it sounds like a wood pecker type thing knocking on my car, its like tap tap tap tap pause then tap tap tap tap pause and continues to do it like that, but i can only hear it on idle, the engine takes a few turns when cold to start like its starving on fuel and idle is a bit iffy but when driving it pulls like a train. i hope someone can help on what this could be, thanks

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Is this a new noise that has started or has it always done it? Does it go when you dip the clutch? If you rev it slightly above idle does it go away? (like 50-100 revs above idle).

Matty92

Mar 18, 2018
Its a noise ive had for a while, but its bugging me incase its something serious and i dont have a clutch pedal its a dsg gearbox and yeah it goes away if i touch the throttle a bit, the noise comes on when the engine is at temperature doesnt do it when cold

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
When it's cold the idle will be slightly higher. The injectors on my Cupra are really noisy at idle, same kind of thing I can hear tapping from the drivers seat. Just tickling the accelerator 50 revs get's rid of the noise. I've actually been tempted to have the idle revs raised through software to eliminate the noise but never got round to it.

Matty92

Mar 18, 2018
So could be just normal with them engines? And that could be a good idea, at first i thought the timing could of been out a bit to make the idle a bit iffy

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
My memory fails me as I get older... forgot I'd got this... any noise you can hear in this video is 100% normal:

Nick Nick

Ibiza Veteran, Leon Virgin
Nov 13, 2005
Southampton
I bought a TFSI 2.0 '07 a couple of weeks ago after driving Ibiza Mk2's for the last 13 years, and I've noticed a noise similar to the one you describe when idling, or coming to an idle on occasion while waiting at lights. The noise is like a tapping noise that lasts for a few seconds and is intermittent (or at least as far as I can tell because I can't hear it while driving) and isn't massively loud, but I'd love to know what is causing it. It does happen sometimes when coming to an idle too, lasts for a few seconds and stops. I made a video after just starting the car, which is very quiet however with enough volume on headphones you can hear my woodpecker (ooer). The video is repeated to make it easier to hear.

Thoughts appreciated!

Nick

jonny87

Aug 2, 2019
I had an oil change recently using genuine vag oil correct for my particular car/engine. Ever since then my engine has been louder, sounding similar to yours.

At first I thought a bearing but its not consistent enough. I can hear mine when driving, just.

Sorry I am not offering an answer here but maybe characteristic of these engines? Especially if higher mileage like mine (121k)

Nick Nick

Ibiza Veteran, Leon Virgin
Nov 13, 2005
Southampton
Mine has only done 53K, but I have done a bit of testing and it seems that I can only hear the tapping noise when the fan is on for the heater, and then only occasionally. It doesn't seem to get any louder if the fan is on high, but I can turn the fan off and on (to the lowest setting) and reproduce the noise. It sounds more like ticking noise rather than tapping, as if some gear mechanism is a little worn. I'm not sure that this is the same issue as the thread title, as the noise reported seems a little more permanent than mine and possibly not heater fan related.

I'm going to be installing a replacement stereo soon so will be able to get behind the heater unit a bit and have a listen. This is when I have a) decided which new headunit I want (possibly Joying for the SPDIF out), and b) mustered the courage to take off the trim and door cards to install amps, DSP, speakers and xovers. Lots of very useful guides on here, but it don't look as easy as the Ibiza Mk2, especially the door cards and footwell trim. The post that said 'taking the trim off is hard and really pi**ed me off' worries me, they were pain enough in the Beeza. :( I am semi-tempted to (shudders) pay for the install, or at least the cable runs.