Seat leon cupra r 210 high rev when warm

toddster180

Greetings fellow seat owners , how are you all ? I'm after a bit of advice I have a cupra r 210 and have been getting a high rev issue like the choke comes on when it shouldn't , when the car is cold it is fine , then afters it's warm and I start it up again it revs to about 2 thousand revs and eventually drops down to normal again , if I try to pull off when it's idling high it feels like its gonna stall , hope you guys can help , any replys would be most appreciated :) thanks Andy :help:

Haribo

Hi,
I'm having the exact same problem! Except I stall a couple of times. The high revs last about a minute before returning to normal. Also noticed when the accelerator is pressed during this time there's an immediate loss of power (like a misfire) before you feel the power. I don't know if you get the same thing Andy

toddster180

Hi yes get the exact same thing , I changed the coolant temperature switch which seemed to cure it but then it wouldn't get to temperature , and the temp reading would fluctuate , so I thought there may be air in the system so I took the cap off and run it up till it hit 90 and stopped and started it again and have the exact same problem !!! Don't get it , you figured it out yet your end lol as I don't wanna take it to a garage until last resort

Haribo

I just changed the coolant temperature sensor today as well. Just took it for a run and same thing, not cured the problem. In fact the sensor had already been changed to the newer green one.

Haribo

I think next step is to change the thermostat. It looks like a lot of other people are having the same problem just in the last few weeks!

toddster180

Problem solved guys , my thermostat was stuck slightly open over cooling the engine , replaced and back to normal so check your thermostats !!

Haribo

Ok, Thanks for the info. I ordered it all and been waiting for a dry day to do it. Going to do it today. Hope it's not too tricky. Did you do yours yourself?

toddster180

Hi yes I did mine my self , it was mega fiddly , remove the front cover and bracket off the intake manifold by removing two cover screws and 2 Allen key bolts , disconnect the front sensor in the manifold then swing the bracket out the way , you can then see the coolant hose with a dog leg pipe with 2 10mm screws bolted to the engine , remove the clip on hose and pull hose off , then with 10mm spanner reach in and take two bolts out , better with a 3/8th socket and knuckle , the thermostat will be sat in recess when taken plastic pipe off , let me know how ya get on !!

Haribo

I couldn't do it. Got all the way to the pipe with the thermostat but my socket wrench was just a little too big to undo the last two bolts. Going to attempt it again once I get some socket wrench extensions. Extremely fiddly! However took for test drive and the revving has stopped when warm. But the car is still under heating. Glad you managed to fix yours in the end and highlight that it's not always the CTS.

toddster180

Oooosh sorry to hear that mate you can access with a 10 mm spanner but its by feel on the awkward bolt once cracked off you can unscrew with ya fingers , good luck

Haribo

Got the extensions I needed and the flex joint and managed to do it. Went for a test drive and all works perfectly fine. So it was my thermostat too. Done a search and funny how lots of people had the exact same problem within the space of a couple of weeks! So for anyone else who has this problem if it's not the Coolant temp sensor it's the thermostat.

Mickycupra

Nov 5, 2014
Uk
Not warming up and losing power

Hi guys after abit advice,I have a leon cupra 180 it's not warming over 60 and when warm it is losing power so I depress the accelerater and press it bk on n powers there again anybody suggest anything or had same problem thanks

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.