Seat Leon Cupra R Standard Head Unit & Speakers

Cpt BlackBeard

Hello Guys,

New to the site. Been looking at it for the last few weeks and have now brought myself a Seat Leon Cupra r 2004, I admit I paid more for it than I should have, but it seems a clean little motor. However, after purchase I realise that the stereo and changer work, but the speakers are literally barely audible (due to distortion - something the seller didn't mention).

Now, I know that I cant change the head unit and keep the CD changer. I would rather keep the car standard, but obviously the speakers have blown as I refuse to believe that the speaker system really sounds like that normally.

Problem is I cannot single out which speaker has blown? I have read the Cupra has tweeters in the front but it all sounds horrible so its hard to tell where the distortion is coming from.

Am I right in thinking there are 4 speakers (16.5) and 2 tweeters in the entire car?

Can I change the speakers and the standard head unit still give me a good sound. I don't want the hassle of installing subs/amps and re-wiring. Just want a normal sound.

HELP? I would appreciate if it guys

jack_1.8t

Sep 28, 2010
midhurst
there is 1 tweeter in each door, have you tried plugging an aftermarket head unit into the car just to see if it makes a difference? could be the amp in the standard head unit is buggered.....BUT before you try this make sure that you have the code for the standard head unit!! :) only other thing i can suggest if it was a trade sale is to take it back and ask for a partial refund or for it to be sorted. if it was private then i guess theres not much you can do unfortunately.
hope this helps :)

Cpt BlackBeard

Hello mate, thanks for getting back to me, I have had a little bit of joy, or at least narrowed down the problem! My mate turned up in a Leon last night! It's not the speakers because the radio works fine, I swapped my changer for his, and it still has interference when using the CD changer only?

We're thinking it must be faulty wiring between the head unit and changer? Brought the keys to remove the stereo today do with luck it's not a break in the wires as that will be a pain.

Could we be along the right lines? Can't be speakers if the radio works and isn't distorted?
Cheers

jack_1.8t

Sep 28, 2010
midhurst
yeah sounds to me like a cd changer issue to me....and it is probably the loom that goes from the back of the head unit to the changer, not sure if u can buy a new loom to whack in there?
i gave up with it in mine as i had an aftermarket head unit and facia plate laying around with direct ipod connection :) and im also wanting to put a small sub in just to boost the sound system ;)

Cpt BlackBeard

What did you do with the changer? I assume it cant be used with any other HU?

The cable is a b**** to get hold of? I have been onto car audio direct who are calling me back, halfords no longer do it. In all honesty I am getting to the point where I think it may be easier to change the head unit and be done with it.
Thing is, I then have the Changer taking up all the glove box space, and taking it out makes the car look a mess.

Sub in the boot? It would have to be a small one, there's barely any space in there?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.