Seat Leon MK1 Temperature Sensor

Seat-SL

Hey People, My first post! :D

After looking into buying a reliable motor, I decided on the Seat Leon! Have had it a short time and it's been fun to drive. Was after a nice small hatchback for the local trips instead of driving my own petrol guzzling car!

It seemed to fit the bill, however yesterday I noticed the diagnosis light switched on! Was not pleased!

It is indicating:

P0116 Engine Coolant Temp CKT Range/Perf

Which I have been told by some people it might be a new sensor needs replacing!

Can any of you fellow Seat owners help me out here? I've had a look on eBay and if this is the right part it seems reasonable? Item No: 180346231369

Thanks!

Seat-SL

Thanks for the replies!

Oh...The light came on plugged in the Diagnostic Machine and it gave out that code! LOL

Would that part be right then? I'm thinking of buying it and then get it replaced by the local workshop.....Also is it wise to drive the car whilst this fault is present?

The thing is I have no idea how it looks visually! LOL...Kinda worried if I start to look for it (no idea where it's located) then might make it worse..

I had a look on eBay and again it came up with Dual Sensor for Leon..SO even more confused what's the part I actually need...

Guess I could save time by just sending it into the woekshop but thought if I can put some effort with some members guidance! :) couls ave myself some cash! Well it is Credit Crunch!

Seat-SL

It's a 2002 Seat Leon...with a very powerful..erm 1.4 engine! lol

Seat-SL

No probs mate...But thanks for trying..

However, I guess the sensor type will be the same..Is the first item I posted on eBay the right one? Thinking of buying it today!

JPeacock18

Coolant Temp Sensor

Hello,
I have a Leon 1.4 with the same fault code which is bringing up the management light , the guys are right , it is located to the right side of the engine , make sure you release the pressure from the coolant bottle before you do the change and make sure you do it when the engine is cold , i got mine for £11.00 ex vat and it worked a treat :D

wakko

Jul 27, 2005
Blackburn, Lancashire
The temerature sensor not only tells you the coolant temperature but it's also used by the ECU to calculate the air/fuel mix (for cold starts).

When mine went faulty i had the engine revs hovering around 1500 rpm whenever i started it up when the engine was already warm. it also had no power for the first few minutes and mis-fired as i went spluttering down the road :)

As the other guys have said, it's really easy to change and really cheap. Let the engine cool and release the pressure in the coolant system by opening the lid in the coolant bottle before changing it. You simply pull out a clip, swap the sensor and replace the clip. Easy!

Also make sure you remove the old O-ring. Mine didn't come out with the sensor and baffled me for a minute as the new sensor didn't go in far enough. doh. You should get a new O-ring with the new temperature sensor.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
<nitpick>
The ECU uses the coolant temperature reading to determine if the engine is up to operating temperature or not, and adjusts the mixture to suit. A more sophisticated version of the old automatic choke.

In your case it was misreading a warm engine as cold and richening the mixture.
</nitpick>

Mr Bigglesworth

Dec 13, 2008
Herts
Let the engine cool and release the pressure in the coolant system by opening the lid in the coolant bottle before changing it.

I would have though that after letting the engine cool it would be better to leave the lid on the coolant bottle as this should hold the vacuum in place which will help the coolant to not spill out when you change it.

[I recently changed mine - did it first thing in the morning and and left the cap on - no spillage whatsoever]

link for 1.8T change http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1287042 - maybe relevant to your 1.4?

Last edited:

wakko

Jul 27, 2005
Blackburn, Lancashire
A good point fella! After releasing any pressure in the system tighten the lid again as Mr Bigglesworth said. This will stop the system emptying coolant all over the floor :)

ross-cupra R

Great thread guys I've had the same problem with mine for the last 2 months as just not had the cash to put it into the garage and it's a nightmare with the warm starts if I'm in a hurry. I'll try this myself as it's cheap and hopefully it will work in mine.
Question tho will I have to get the engine management light reset or will it go out if this fixes the problem?

superplumber

climate control

hi guys great thread, i've got a 2003 leon cupra r and the climate control panel has no power, tried fuse box nothing wrong,any ideas desprete at moment as weather and 4 months old boy so despreate to fix it cheers

superplumber

hi mate sorry havent replied, put it in for the problem to be looked at turns out one of the wires from it behind the dash had worn on a clip and becasue i was lucky (not) i broke so no power to it.thanks for help though hopefully now i can concentrate on drying it out and fixing leak before any snow and rain hits.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.