Seat Leon MK2 timing belt change intervals

crmpicco

May 2, 2012
My Leon MK2 has just returned from its' yearly service. I have been given a warning that I need to attend to the timing belt.

I checked the service schedule and the timing belt was changed in September 2010 at 60,000miles. The mileage is now 99,000miles and two years have passed.

Is it fair enough that the timing belt will need changed at this stage? The mechanic seemed quite adamant it needed changed, and soon, but I'm wary of being "up sold" a £200-250 job to replace a timing belt when it may or may not need it.

Could it be that it needs changed because it wasn't fitted correctly or they used a poor quality belt? Looking at the service history it was done at a Seat dealership.

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
My Leon MK2 has just returned from its' yearly service. I have been given a warning that I need to attend to the timing belt.

I checked the service schedule and the timing belt was changed in September 2010 at 60,000miles. The mileage is now 99,000miles and two years have passed.

Is it fair enough that the timing belt will need changed at this stage? The mechanic seemed quite adamant it needed changed, and soon, but I'm wary of being "up sold" a £200-250 job to replace a timing belt when it may or may not need it.

Could it be that it needs changed because it wasn't fitted correctly or they used a poor quality belt? Looking at the service history it was done at a Seat dealership.

I think it's every 40,000 so as it's 39,000 since it was changed then it's probably right. Looks like the first change was done very late. There's lots of debate about the need to do it every 40,000 or 4 years, as your's is only 2 years you could risk it a bit longer. Possible new engine if you get it wrong though.

Deleted member 74601

I know on some engines, the cambelt interval was revised from 60k down to 40k, but no idea which engine that is.

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
This is such a grey area

SEAT UK told me for mine

"Toothed belt replace every 120,000 miles or 4 years, whichever comes 1st"

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
the above was confirmed in an email to me after SEAT had my reg a Chassis number

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
I wasn't doubting you mate.
Just being a mechanic and doing cambelts on a daily basis I've found that autodata now shows most vag cars are now showing 4 years or 60k.
When we first checked with our local vw and seat and skoda dealers they all confirmed this.

To be honest I wouldn't believe anything Seat say as there full of shite anyway. Even if it broke early they probably wouldn't be interested and deny all knowledge.

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
Sorry Kev didnt mean it to come across like i was doubting you

It don't make sense to me but then i wont be hitting anywhere near the mileage in 4 years so don bother me

if i was thou it would be 40 between changes for me

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
its 4 years across the range but the mileage varies depending on the variant of the engine

my fr was 4 years or 120,000 thats the interval for the 2 litre diesel

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
1.6TDI is 120k or 4 years.

Just checked autodata and the 1.6 tdi is 140k or 48 months:confused:
Give it another year or two I'm sure they'll amend that too.
My last Leon said 115k for all Tfsi engines in the service book when produced but after 2 years it was then reduced to 4 years 60k
It's not just Seat.
Vauxhall sell cars with 80k changes then drop them to 40k almost straight away.
I don't know how these manufactures get away with it as the service costs over 5 years could swing a sale for some people then once you own it they change the goal posts.

Edit
Just checked autodata again and it must be updated as it now shows my Cupra R as 120k or 48 months.
All tfsi's show 120k or 48 months
Even more confusing.

Looks like everything's been amended again to what Seat told LeonCR

Last edited:

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
I was informed, especially the FR 170 TDI is every 40k or 4 years.

I am reliably informed it should be changed when Mars is in Aquarius and a german team has won the champions league.

Last edited:

Deleted member 74601

I was informed, especially the FR 170 TDI is every 40k or 4 years.

It depends on the engine. The PD engine, yes, the CR engine, no. The CR engine uses a different belt.

On the CR diesel engines (i.e the newer ones) they're probably all 120k.

@ Kevs FR - I was going off the manual. It all depends on engine type/year as above, LukeFR is right for his engine, but wrong for the newer FR 170s.

Last edited by a moderator:

alesi27

My other car's a Mustang!
May 2, 2009
Cork, Ireland.
Looks like we're all different...

Looking at the service book I got with my car, 18 month old 2.0 TSi FR DSG, it shows some intervals where the "toothed belt" is to be inspected and changed if necessary. The only call for a mandatory change of timing belt is after the first 180,000 kms.

Am I reading this wrong, (I suppose so, I must be...) what should the timing belt (or is it a chain) change be due at?

TJenkos

Feb 12, 2009
Derby
I'd assumed chain driven engines didn't need them replacing!! You certainly don't on the BMW's so why on SEAT would you - which would back Alesi's quote..

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise