Seat Leon MK2 timing belt change intervals

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
The maintenance books are a load of shite. Either ring seat it aim for 60k or 4 years. I did mine after 4 years and had only done 37500 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crmpicco

May 2, 2012
Timing belts scare the **** outa me if the book says change it then id change it, they make a hell of a mess when they go .

I agree. I bet many people think that way too. How many stories have you heard of someone's timing belt going? I remember hearing of a woman who took her Vectra into the garage only to be told that the timing belt needed changed urgently, she drove it back home and the belt snapped en route. Goodbye Vectra!

I wish a timing belt change was a DIY job, but as it is critical and quite involved its a mechanics gig really. Just have to suck it up and pay.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
It is a DIY job if you understand what you're doing and have the right tools.

Did mine on my old mk4 on my driveway never having done one before :)

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
Agreed and you don't even need the correct locking pins to be honest. A nice thin drill bit stop the cam at the top. Lol

jmc1976

Jan 8, 2013
wakefield, west yorks
I agree. I bet many people think that way too. How many stories have you heard of someone's timing belt going? I remember hearing of a woman who took her Vectra into the garage only to be told that the timing belt needed changed urgently, she drove it back home and the belt snapped en route. Goodbye Vectra!

I wish a timing belt change was a DIY job, but as it is critical and quite involved its a mechanics gig really. Just have to suck it up and pay.

They can be changed diy with something like a Haynes manual if they still make them ,i personally prefer to let a garage do it . When i left school i did an apprenticeship at a ford garage and regularly saw cars towed in with snapped belts and holes in the bonnet where the valves have come through some cars were written off by a belt snapping so i wouldn't take the risk

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Just make sure you change your water pump at the same time
Interval should be 60,000 miles or 4 years.

When these cars first came out dealers where advising anything from 80,000 to 120,000 mile cam belt intervals !

There is no rule of thumb as to how long they really last , every one drives their cars differently which has an affect on how long the belt will last.

If I buy a second hand car I says change the belt regardless for peace of mind.

Deleted member 74601

As said, it depends on the engine.

Different engines (especially different technologies) will have different belts, and different intervals.

I've checked the 1.6TDI CR engine on all new cars that have it (Golf, Leon, Octavia etc) and they're still saying 120k or 4 years.

The only thing all the intervals have in common is the 4 year interval. So if you're doing low mileage, don't worry about the mileage, just aim for 4 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Well I bought the wife a 10 plate leon FR cr170 yesterday and rang Seat UK regarding belt change interval.
I was told the schedule was revised in January this year to 5 years across the board but different mile ages depending engine type and chassis number.
Anyway after she checked with technical I was told 5 years or 140,000 miles?????
One dealer said 5 years or 50,000 miles another 5 years or 80,000 miles.
I've came to the conclusion that nobody seems to know.
I'm going on the old VW theory of 5 years or 60,000 miles.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Well I bought the wife a 10 plate leon FR cr170 yesterday and rang Seat UK regarding belt change interval.
I was told the schedule was revised in January this year to 5 years across the board but different mile ages depending engine type and chassis number.
Anyway after she checked with technical I was told 5 years or 140,000 miles?????
One dealer said 5 years or 50,000 miles another 5 years or 80,000 miles.
I've came to the conclusion that nobody seems to know.
I'm going on the old VW theory of 5 years or 60,000 miles.

I would ask for that in writing from them to protect your self in case your belt goes before the age or distance is reached.
It's very worry when the so called manufacturer hasn't a clue what the schedule should be !
But based on all my dealings with seat dealers I'm not surprised.

wilkwan

So guys, things are confusing... I know I have asked this before but may I repeat again:
I have a 58 plate 1.6 petrol (the normal 16v 105bhp) have i got a camchain or cambelt? I have different answers. The dealer said I need to change the belt but honestjohn plus a few members here said its a chain, which would mean no work is required. How can I find out for sure before the dealer rips me off?

I have about 35000 miles on the clock.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Can't you just whip the cover off and have a look? Not sure how easy it is.

Sent from LG G2 using Tuppytalk

Dodsy

Dec 30, 2012
We've got a ibiza with that engine in too and I've always been under the impression it's a chain

wilkwan

@crafoo - i do not know how to look, there seems to be no cover on the engine.
@dodsy, i will make more queries and when i am certain i come back to you, how old is your car?

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
@crafoo - i do not know how to look, there seems to be no cover on the engine.
@dodsy, i will make more queries and when i am certain i come back to you, how old is your car?

There will be a cambelt cover (not engine cover) on the engine, a quick peek behind would reveal if it's a belt or chain, you probably won't even need to take it off, it's probably only held on by a few clips.

wheels3333

Feb 24, 2016
Cambelt Replacing

Hi,

I have a 2007 Leon FR 2.0TFSI which has done 44,500 miles. It has had its cam belt and water pump changed at its 4 year interval where it has done 29000 miles.

Since then only 15000 miles has been covered on the new one but 5 years has passed should te belt need replacing again?

Thanks

Number12

Dec 22, 2011
Portugal
Here at Portugal, I send an e-mail to 5 diferente Seat oficial service shops and all of then answer the same: 210 000 km (130 500 miles) with no time interval defined.

Seat Leon FR 2.0Tdi 170hp CR (engine code: CEGA) Year:2010

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.