SEAT PORTABLE SYSTEM [GARMIN] Skins & Hacking

Pher

Mar 1, 2014
Portugal
Hi guys,
as promised i will share a process that will make possible extract the bitmaps contained in some of the .nfs files present in the SEAT PORTABLE SYSTEM.
This method will work on the GARMIN version. For the NAVIGON users i can't say if it will work, just give it a try and say your veredict.
The files that contain car related bitmaps are present in the VwUserShell folder. Remember always to save backup copies from this files.

For now, this method will require 3 diferent software tools.
The process is the folowing:

1) Use the NFSExtractor v0.8 from KlingMeiDing for extract all the content. This content is almost .kbi files that contain the usefull bitmaps.

2) To extract the content from .kbi files use the KBIExtractor tool. This content could be binary data and the wanted bitmaps. The bitmaps are present in the Bitmaps_480x272.kbi file.

3) The bitmaps that are present in the .kbi file are in PNX format. To convert that files to a more convinient image file (PNG), use the PNX-Converter tool.

With this process you will gain access to all the bitmaps present of the .nfs files. For now, this method will not allow to generate the .nfs files with custom bitmaps. In the next days i will try to build a tool that could make the opposite process.

All this tools can be downloaded from:

NFSExtractor v0.8 - http://www.china-rns.com/downloads/tools-27/nfsextractor-v0-8-532/

KBIExtractor - http://www.4shared.com/rar/dIJxDLhfce/KBI_Extractor_v11.html

KBICompressor - http://www.4shared.com/rar/aJA7pJGHce/KBI_Compressor_v11.html

PNX-Converter - http://www.4shared.com/rar/n9f2-Hztce/PNX-Converter.html

Just a message for FR owners. The new VwUserShell.exe that will enable the performance display in FR models can be downloaded from:
http://www.4shared.com/rar/LBMLXofGba/VwUserShell_714.html
Just replace the file present in the VwUserShell folder. Always remember to save a copy of the original file.

Last edited:

Dharms

Sep 17, 2014
West Midlands
Awesome work!

Just tried the kbi extracter, works great! I assume you'll need to make a application to then make pngs back into pnx and the extracted pnx back into kbi to beable to use the files on the Garmin?

Pher

Mar 1, 2014
Portugal
Awesome work!

Just tried the kbi extracter, works great! I assume you'll need to make a application to then make pngs back into pnx and the extracted pnx back into kbi to beable to use the files on the Garmin?

yes ,i'm doing exactly that.

Dharms

Sep 17, 2014
West Midlands
Awesome! I'm more for OEM look than crazy skins. What I'd love to do is make the numbers non italic (like the FR dials) move rpm redline and numbers x 100, maybe -1 from the boost skin, the needles maybe red (although seems like 400 files for that!) and finally some CF.

Heres what I've comeup with so far

Mock%20up.jpg

Pyrres

Ibiza Cupra -14
May 2, 2014
Finland
Awesome! I'm more for OEM look than crazy skins. What I'd love to do is make the numbers non italic (like the FR dials) move rpm redline and numbers x 100, maybe -1 from the boost skin, the needles maybe red (although seems like 400 files for that!) and finally some CF.

Heres what I've comeup with so far

Mock%20up.jpg
If you can get that ready, inform me as I like the style you are after. What car do you have (will the same files work in Fr's, Cupras etc.)?

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Dharms

Sep 17, 2014
West Midlands
As you can see I've already skinned the gauges for the changes (apart from the needle, theres 399 needel files left to do if I want to do that!). Just need a way to repackage them

These would be for my 1.2 FR, would work with other FR's, Cupra's but for Cupra I think the dials already match the dashboard dial do they not?

Last edited:

Pyrres

Ibiza Cupra -14
May 2, 2014
Finland
As you can see I've already skinned the gauges for the changes (apart from the needle, theres 399 needel files left to do if I want to do that!). Just need a way to repackage them

These would be for my 1.2 FR, would work with other FR's, Cupra's but for Cupra I think the dials already match the dashboard dial do they not?
They match but the extra boost bar could be fixed to show proper boost pressure and background could be a bit darker like your carbon version.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

g_berserk

Smartass in training
Oct 15, 2014
Monterrey, Mexico

Is your SPS Garmin or Navigon?
I'm guessing Garmin, but still have hope that someday there will be something new and useful for the Navigon :(

RPJS

Jul 29, 2014
Thanks for the effort and hard work that you are having.. :clap: im after this too.. Im tinking if the vagcom doesnt give you the proper maximum boost gauge value..? now at this moment when you step on the gas pedal it gives the maximum value that is 2,5.. but the 1.2 FR and the 1.6 tdi FR should be a value under 2,5 bar.. why does not give you the correct value if the boost is at about 1 Bar or so.. thanks :think:

Last edited:

Batedor3D

Mar 19, 2014
Awesome work Pher!!!

I'll give this a try maybe later this afternoon and will post back the feedback!

SaracenUK

Aug 28, 2010
Just a message for FR owners. The new VwUserShell.exe that will enable the performance display in FR models can be downloaded from:
http://www.4shared.com/rar/LBMLXofGba/VwUserShell_714.html
Just replace the file present in the VwUserShell folder. Always remember to save a copy of the original file.

Fresh V7.14.11 and with the latest VwUserShell.exe from Pher

Just to confirm what other FR 1.4 ACT owners have stated.
Boost gauge does NOT work.

Last edited:

Pher

Mar 1, 2014
Portugal
Hi guys,
I have finished the first version of the KBI compressor tool. To use this aplication you will need to open the original .kbi file. The original .kbi file needs to be in the folder that contains the output folder with the extracted .pnx files. For example, if you have a folder named "VW_UserShell_SeatSkin.nfs.dir" with the folder "Bitmaps_480x272_Output" inside it, you will need to have the original .kbi file in "VW_UserShell_SeatSkin.nfs.dir". This app will create a new .kbi file without deleting the original one.
You can dowload the application from this link:

http://www.4shared.com/rar/ewq29H2sba/KBI_Compressor_v10.html

Feel free to try.

Regarding the problems with the pressure gauge in the 1.4 ACT version, i have no clue about what is going on, so i cannot solve that issue.

Dharms

Sep 17, 2014
West Midlands
I can upload a single zip if you want, I think the main thing that would be of help is the ability to batch convert files rather than converting a single one at a time, if that's possible.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.