SEAT preview new Leon Cupra and Ibiza FR ahead of Barcelona Motorshow

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Ibiza FR and the Leon CUPRA boost SEAT sporty range

SEAT have today previewed their latest exciting hot hatch offerings ahead of their world debut at the Barcelona Motorshow which takes place from 9th to 17th May. UK sales are due to commence around July for the Leon Cupra and September for the Ibiza FR. Prices will be announced closer to their respective on-sale dates.

Read more at SEATCupra.net...

Last edited by a moderator:

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish
Sorry, I'm disappointed with that. (just my opinion)

Not a lot different visually from th FR. 3 slots under the grille and a couple of splashes of black paint.

No power increase from the outgoing model. Considering the new Astra VXR is bumping up to 270bhp (some reports claim anyway http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/235174/new_astra_unveiled.html ), an increase would've kept up with the competition.

Doesn't even look as good as the outgoing K1 in my eyes.

SEAT could've done so much, shame really

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
It's rumoured that SEAT have something a bit special lined up for the Leon Cupra later this year. This car is simply an updated model based on the recent face-lift.

K1 looks awful, in my opinion. No doubt controversial, but I've never hidden the fact that I hate that kit and it's constant recycling across the range. Personally i think this latest facelift freshens the range a bit for new buyers, but isn't a huge update that earlier adoptors will feel hard done by too much.

I like the new alloys on the Cupra, they are an undoubted improvement on the older cars, which I didn't think flattered it. But i still prefer my 19" inch BBS over them. :)

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Sorry, I'm disappointed with that. (just my opinion)

Not a lot different visually from th FR. 3 slots under the grille and a couple of splashes of black paint.

No power increase from the outgoing model. Considering the new Astra VXR is bumping up to 270bhp (some reports claim anyway), an increase would've kept up with the competition.

Doesn't even look as good as the outgoing K1 in my eyes.

SEAT could've done so much, shame really

+1

Credit crunch refresh pack!

At a time when any new custom is critical for car companies I feel they've gone too safe. Audi are doing OK at the moment as they are generating interest and pushing high profile models even though they are discounting to do it.

Brands need to be kept alive in this downturn period and SEAT seem to be one of the few playing it overly safe. The hot hatch market is not big on 'conservative' right now. Given its original positioning within VAG you think they'd be leading the fight to Focus RS, the VX-R's etc... Such a shame, although the interior is a marked improvement.

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish
It's rumoured that SEAT have something a bit special lined up for the Leon Cupra later this year. This car is simply an updated model based on the recent face-lift.

K1 looks awful, in my opinion. No doubt controversial, but I've never hidden the fact that I hate that kit and it's constant recycling across the range. Personally i think this latest facelift freshens the range a bit for new buyers, but isn't a huge update that earlier adoptors will feel hard done by too much.

I like the new alloys on the Cupra, they are an undoubted improvement on the older cars, which I didn't think flattered it. But i still prefer my 19" inch BBS over them. :)

Lets hope they have something lined up. The MkII Leon is a good car, I think with a real "Flagship", it would have fairly competative sales against the Astra VXR, maybe even the Golf GTi or R20 (when it arrives)

Maybe the "chop" they have released is just a taster.

LEONS.jpg

Lets face it, they haven't burst through any design and styling boundaries

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Like the front but still prefer the louder K1 version.

Rims are really nice and those seats look terrific.

Echoing previous comments a minor tweek should have been done under the bonnet.

All in all nothing to get too much excited about.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Facelift though, not a design change!

Only so much you can do to change a car design, short of crashing it into Halfords and hoping something tasteful sticks to it. :rolleyes:

Which is what some of the competition seem to think makes a good hot-hatch. :think: In my opinion how it looks in drag, is only a small part of my attraction to sporty hot hatches. I put more emphasis on wanting them to go like the clappers and handle really well.

A new Mk3 expected early 2011 timeframe is when the Leon design will be fully under the control of Luc Donckerwolke and his Ibiza design has been heaped with praise. I think better things are to come and SEAT shouldn't throw away too much money at revising an older design.

I see the rumoured R version as being a last hurrah for the Mk2 Leon, possibly with a lairy kit ala Focus RS, and larger brakes, more powerful engine, bigger wheels etc.

Last edited:

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
But it looks too much like the FR, which on its own is nice.

Visually Joe Public should know its a Cupra at reasonable distance. The K1 kit gave it that (although a bit too loud imo). Now 'is it a Cupra/FR, no its a Cupra, no its an FR... wait till he's almost upon us then we can read the writing front or rear'

Joe Public needs that visual impact.

I agree with the design of the new Ibiza - very pretty.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Only so much you can do to change a car design, short of crashing it into Halfords and hoping something tasteful sticks to it. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Think that is basically how the LCR was initially reviewed by one of the motoring rags (maybe Auto Express) back in 2003/4.

I think that's a bit harsh Mark, they do have some lovely stuff in there, including these:
linky

Personally I've always wanted crystal wheel cap centres for the S3, but just never known where to get them. Problem solved!

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I believe that since they produced the K1, they have realised they have a split market sector to field for also.

The Cupra continued to be sold alongside the K1, and no doubt many people love the K1 for its Halfords-esque road crash looks. ;) But on the flipside many also like the more conservative less in your face styling of the Cupra. All the performance but not so much of the look at me!!

It's obviously easier to achieve that update to the range now, having already produced the face-lift models such as the FR. The rumoured Cupra R would be more likely to be squarely aimed at those that want all the flash with the dash!!

If they are geniuinely producing something special and not just a bolt on kit, then that will take time to finalise also. They are probably waiting for the more powerful powerplants to be released too.

Last edited:

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Crystal wheel centres??? WTF that's all about???

'New to our range of wheel centres, these simple self adhesive mounting crystal wheel centres will catch peoples eyes'

Liliputians beware.

Apologies for off topic.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
The FR and Cupra bumpers dont even have the black line at the bottom to separate them now :(. The holes on the Cupra bumper are not that pretty either.

Interior is nicer though :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.