Seat recognition of misfiring problem!

CyborgCupraJQ

Boca Inside*
Dec 28, 2010
Oporto, Portugal
How did you manage to get authorization for them to replace the piston rings? Was it a compression test that failed or was it oil consumption. Just getting my catalytic converter replaced now. Misfiring was only occuring with all new bits and new software when the emissions light came on and stayed on. Hopfully thatl be it now unless i have ware to my rings. Time will tell though

Oil consumption. They kept my car for 3 days to do some tests.

Maybe I'll call them and ask for spark plugs to be fitted.

CyborgCupraJQ

Boca Inside*
Dec 28, 2010
Oporto, Portugal
So I picked up my car today.

They just changed the piston rings and did the software update to solve battery problems.

The guy told me he could not change the plugs and fuel pump if the car doesnt show any kind of error, I didnt get any misfire tho...

So he told me if I get any problem like you guys get he would call Seat and change the other parts right away but for now he cant do anything.

Lets see how the car keeps from now on. (I drove the car for 4miles seems fine)

NathWraith

Misfiring like a boss
Sep 2, 2011
Staffordshire

They just changed the piston rings and did the software update to solve battery problems.

The guy told me he could not change the plugs and fuel pump if the car doesnt show any kind of error, I didnt get any misfire tho...

So he told me if I get any problem like you guys get he would call Seat and change the other parts right away but for now he cant do anything.

Well aslong as the car drives fine and the misfires are gone, then you won't need anything else replacing.

If you do get any more misfires, plugs would be my first port of call mate.

AndreJ

Mine still Got the engine open they were putting it back together, i asked about the fuel pump and stuff they said the same thing but i had misfires, he said one of the conectors of the bobbin ( think thats the name) was kinda disconnect and that cause the misfire on cold starts..

CyborgCupraJQ

Boca Inside*
Dec 28, 2010
Oporto, Portugal
Well aslong as the car drives fine and the misfires are gone, then you won't need anything else replacing.

If you do get any more misfires, plugs would be my first port of call mate.

I didn't get any kind of misfires in 11k (kms) mate that's why they wouldn't fit the new plugs.

Mine still Got the engine open they were putting it back together, i asked about the fuel pump and stuff they said the same thing but i had misfires, he said one of the conectors of the bobbin ( think thats the name) was kinda disconnect and that cause the misfire on cold starts..

Well let's if we get rid of the problems for ever :whistle:

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
I would get the plugs yourself. Not just the seat ones but the revo ones.the fuel punp dosent cause the misfiring. Those new plugs and software will solve your issues and the plugs wil be fine for a future remap should you want it

Mixpower

Brought my car in to the dealership today,
they are going to replace the piston rings as far as they told me.

Hope they are going to replace some more things,
should i call them and ask if they replace the fuel pump and new plugs as well?

Thanks for the help!

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
Brought my car in to the dealership today,
they are going to replace the piston rings as far as they told me.

Hope they are going to replace some more things,
should i call them and ask if they replace the fuel pump and new plugs as well?

Thanks for the help!

I believe they will only replace a part if it's faulty or causing a fault. If they determine that those parts are ok they won't replace them

AndreJ

I would get the plugs yourself. Not just the seat ones but the revo ones.the fuel punp dosent cause the misfiring. Those new plugs and software will solve your issues and the plugs wil be fine for a future remap should you want it

wich plugs are recommended by revo?

chuckb

Mo bark n' Mo grunt
Apr 4, 2010
Sunny Slough
Got mine back today after 3 weeks. New engine fitted. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::D:D:D Dealer has been fantastic. Cant fault them.

Thank you Hughes, I owe you a pint!

ca1der

Hi sorry for the delay in re-posting but I've been waiting to get everything resolved and it took it's time.

So after being told by my local dealership which is W Livingstones in Uddingston (Scotland) that I would be charged for the repair and then having no luck with SEAT UK in convincing them otherwise I went back to the garage I bought the car from.

This was in Hatfield (north london), the Service manager there and the Sales Manager both agreed that this TPI is nonsense and they run all there Cupra models on normal 95 RON fuel which is from the Tesco garage nearby.

I obviously said that as I'd bought the car from then they needed to speak with SEAT UK and my local dealer as I had no control of what fuel was put in the car for the first 3 months of it's life...

Long and short after going through the aftersales area manager Barry I received a call to let me know I'd be refunded the full amount (£160). This was only after refusing to take a free service as an alternative option!

When I went in to my local dealers the service manager Sandy said the following....

"I'm pretty astonished actually you've managed to get SEAT to refund the money!"

"Do you want to know why they agreed?"

"It was the garage you bought it from, the guy Barry is new and he made a mistake!"

I literally walked out, the guy is a total bell end!!

Anyway I wont be going back to that delearship in future even though it is 2 minutes drive away!

Apr 9, 2009
I once again had my car back in the garage with the same problem having had no reasonable explanation of it given to me yet again last time. I wrote to seat UK ahead of my car going into the garage explaining all of the problems i have had not only on this car but my old boc etc. Had a call from S. UK saying theyll send them the new spark plugs ready for my car and no need for the fuel pump as i already have that.

Anyway the tone of the garage completely changed this time, it also turns out they were having another boc in that day with the same problem lol Anyway i have had the new spark plugs and they have completely reflashed the ECU getting read of any of the learned settings for driving/ fuel etc. And since they haven't been able to get it to misfire again. I had a 200 mile drive straight from the dealers and drove it just like i should be able to rather than being worried about misfires and it was perfect.... I don't want to tempt fate as i won't be 100% confident until i have a month without a single misfire but so far so good...

Apr 9, 2009
Ive got the paperwork in the car so will check tomorrow for you, i assumed they would be the ones previously mentioned on the thread but ill double check :)

Mixpower

Just went to the dealer to pick up my car.

10 km from the dealer i put it in sport mode and pushed the pedal,
and within 20 sec the EPC and Engine light came on with complete power loss!

Pulled over and then smoke started coming from underneath the bonnet,
called the dealer and told me to drive back so i did and got a Yeti to take home (yay..)

So not a happy story,
and i'm afraid its not over yet..

They replaced the piston rings and that was it,
didn't do anything about the misfiring problem.

I guess they call next week to inform me,
if i could i would bring the car back and get my money back but i think that isn't possible.

I want to thank everyone so far for the info and help!

CyborgCupraJQ

Boca Inside*
Dec 28, 2010
Oporto, Portugal
Just went to the dealer to pick up my car.

10 km from the dealer i put it in sport mode and pushed the pedal,
and within 20 sec the EPC and Engine light came on with complete power loss!

Pulled over and then smoke started coming from underneath the bonnet,
called the dealer and told me to drive back so i did and got a Yeti to take home (yay..)

So not a happy story,
and i'm afraid its not over yet..

They replaced the piston rings and that was it,
didn't do anything about the misfiring problem.

I guess they call next week to inform me,
if i could i would bring the car back and get my money back but i think that isn't possible.

I want to thank everyone so far for the info and help!

Looks like they forgot to put all the pieces back together...