Seat recognition of misfiring problem!

Mixpower

I guess so...

hope they just put a new engine in now,
it is one from the bad batch.

jp1990

Any advice?

Hi

I've had my 59 plate Ibiza cupra for roughly 14 months and it is now little over 3 years old. (out of warranty).

From buying the car I noticed problems with oil consumption and was told how much they considered acceptable, which seemed a little ridiculous, and told that if it wasn't using more than the acceptable amount, I would have to pay £300+ for them to check it. Eventually I took the risk just before the warranty ran out and they installed new software.

A few days ago I noticed a small amount of misfiring at higher revs (3.5k+) which then led to it misfiring almost constantly (full range).

I've been told by a mechanic friend that it's likely to be something to do with a coil? Sorry for the lack of more information - I'm not exactly a pro with this kind of stuff.

I know this thread is old, so I'm not even sure if I'll get a reply but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Any one think It's worth moaning at my local Seat garage and saying how it is a known problem within this batch of cars and should have been spotted when it was last in?

Thanks in advance!

Jp

jp1990

Had a mechanic friend take a look at it today and I now know that it's not the coil pack. (I think that's what is called? haha).

His diagnostic machine thing is saying there is a fault in cylinder 3. (Tried swapping the coil around with others. 3 into 4 and 4 into 3 for example, and still getting the original cylinder 3 message)

Getting the compression tested tomorrow and I've been told that if the results come back fine, it's likely to be the injectors (been quoted about £200 without labour).

If the results are bad I'm going to be having words with my local seat branch.

Once again, sorry about my lack of knowledge!

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
if you have the old injectors its a strong possibility. You also need change spark plugs to the shorter colder type, bkr7eix ngks

jp1990

Compression results came back fine. Plugs havebeen replaced with Bosch titanium tipped one's.

No damage to pistons or piston rings.

All seems to be good.

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
have you had the software update because the old version is poor.
Main things you need to check are:

1. Uprated plugs
2. New model injectors
3. Software update

As said the old versions are poor and cause problems.

jp1990

Well up to now I have the uprated plugs + software update

Missing the new model injectors.

Thanks for the help by the way

Baxterlad

Jan 24, 2013
Are seat fully accepting all problems now? Mines a sept 09 BOC. Oil consumption is awful. Going in on Monday. What all do I need to ask, check, record and ask for? I know little about engines......so don't want to be blinded by technical talk!

Thanks

Sent from my fingers using Muscle power HD

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
yeah, you must have just missed out on the new style pistons, thats more than likely the culprit, ask for an oil consumption test.

Baxterlad

Jan 24, 2013
Apparently the new/recommended spark plugs are only for the 1.4tsi turbo charged engine. Not the supercharged, turbo charged. They tell me they aren't aware of any other updates etc. can anyone provide me with tpi numbers?

Baxterlad

Jan 24, 2013
Mechanic came out and said I was wrong.......hence why if anyone has proof I can provide it?!

WRC555

Feb 18, 2005
Slovenia
www.seat.gostovanje.ws
Problems again...we looked the sparks with my mechanic last week...one of them was full of oil, then we looked in the cylinder, also wet of oil :) Drove it to the dealers, they said that this is nothing wrong, so I was driving on as usually.

On saturday had a missfire, the EPC light came and lost power :rofl:

This is the third missfire in three years :rolleyes:

WRC555

Feb 18, 2005
Slovenia
www.seat.gostovanje.ws
Spark plug after 1 year :clap:

20639994.jpg

20639995.jpg

LJA

Oct 8, 2010
Derbyshire
Sorry to bump the thread a further time.

Basically, be fine for the first 6 months I bought it.

Car is on 59,000 miles / 59 Plate
Bocanegra
Full Dealer history and had 60,000 miles service done last month.

The last 2 weeks the car has been acting strange.

As I accelerate whether fairly medium/hard it sometimes stutters (Almost like its ran out of fuel/misfiring)

I thought it was the clutch slipping as it always did it in 5th but now its any gear bar 1st.

Very strange - Can anyone shed any light. I dont think its burning a mass amount of oil.

Unsure - Definitely had the software update - not sure on the SparkPlug update or uprated internals like i think Lucifer said earlier?

If anybody can recommend anything to help me out that would be great. Also its just gone 4 months out of warranty

Thanks

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members