SEAT Sport UK call time on the BTCC

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Didn't think i'd be posting this item of news. But sadly it's official. SEAT are pulling out of the BTCC at the end of this season. Brands Hatch next weekend will be their final outing.

The SCC is being pulled too.

http://www.seatcupra.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=987&Itemid=1

Though we are terribly sad to see SEAT UK drop out of national motorsport we hope that they may return in the future.

We have met some great friends at SEAT Sport and we wish them all the very best for the future and thanks for the great memories. :thumbup:

Especially Scott Dennis who supported this forum so much and involved the die hard fans so closely in SEAT's campaign . Thanks mate for all your support. :)

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
That's very sad. I haven't even been a follower of the racing, but the brand's involvement has been interesting and impressive.

‘Now it is time to emphasise SEAT’s sporty and stylish image through other marketing activities, which will continue to enhance the brand’s profile.
:shrug:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I can only surmise that they are suffering as a result of the downturn, that seems to be really hurting the motor vehicle trade at the moment. That's if you read the trade press releases at least. It must be especially tough for the smaller groups like SEAT and maybe they feel the money is better used in other places until things settle down.

I would hope they consider coming back in the future. The paddock is going to miss them terribly and I can only see it being hugely detrimental to the whole of the BTCC.

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish
Wee bit disapointed about this-who are we gonna follow next year??

The new Cartridge World Team? They are running 2 Leons on Bio Fuel, then of course Adam Jones will hopefully be back in his Leon, and hopefully Stockton can wring another year out of his Toledo.

I'm sure the yellow t-shirted legion of fans will still support the independants.

Only thing we stand to lose out on is group parking.

Thing is, if the SCC and BTCC stops, in effect SEAT Sport UK are no more, unless they venture into rallying or some other field of motor sport.

Oddest thing is, unless another works team comes along, pretty much all of the field will be independants, except VXR and Halfords, cos even the Beemers are independants.

Looks like a case of congratulations to VXR, 2009 BTCC team champions already. Its a sad day in that respect

Last edited:

jonv

Sep 2, 2005
Just read this news on motorsportforums and popped in here to see if it was true.
Very disappointing. Hope the cars will be picked up by a good independent.

Andywarr

Feb 27, 2008
what about the sport maxx car, didn't seat sport uk pile a load a money into that

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Good idea, that's what the MG owners did after all. Lost the works team, but still turned up to support the independent team. Shocking news, I hope another manufacturer comes in, otherwise 2009 might be a difficult year.

FSiLeonMike

Apr 26, 2007
The cartridge world team are trying something new with the Bio Fuel Car, that deserves support, and Adam Jones/Air Cool have proved that they have the pace to challenge, so thats good. Stockton has had his run of bad luck, and doing well in a dated car, but still deserves the support, so I'll be getting behind all the boys next year, whatever may happen. (with the exception of them defecting to other makes of car of course)

Last edited:

FSiLeonMike

Apr 26, 2007
Don't despair, Cartridge World (Team CVR) should be entering 2 Bio Fuelled Leons. Hopefully Adam Jones/Air Cool will be back, and Stockton/BTC

We potentially have 4 independents who will need support more than ever

OK, so group parking might be up the swanny

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members