SEAT Sport UK call time on the BTCC

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
I can't see such things happening.. and if they did, I don't think I could bring myself to support VXRs! :ban:

Me too! F:censored:izio G:censored:ardi and Ma:censored: Ne:censored:ll are in my view possibly the two most arrogant drivers to ever grace the BTCC.

Especially the latest outburst of total arrogance from the Itallian saying he wants to wrap the title up in race 1 so he can "play" in the other two. The BTCC is not a place in my view and even with my limited knowledge where drivers can treat a race like it is a time to "play". And the most sickening asspect of that comment is surely that it surely pays a certain amount of disrespect to Jase', to his abilities as a driver to compete with him and to SEAT on this their final meeting.

I wonder what would happen if no genuine title contender is able to step forward next season and he is the only quality competitive driver out there in the field who is able to fight for the title like he would deserve the title? How would the BTCC pan out without anyone to challenge him? Coz it could happen y'know. If no manufacturer with any quality driver in their team comes forward for next season, I don't see which of the existing pack or of the CVR drivers (Dan and Phiroze) would fight G:censored:ardi all the way without conceeding the title before next seasons finale at Brands Hatch. Yes, drivers like Turks, Jackson, Shedden, Jones and of course Eaves are very god driver but are they good enough to stand toe-to-toe with someone of Gi:censored:ardi's quality and compete for outright wins over most of the season?

And how would he and his fans feel about being the lone runaway driver in the Championship.

Another thing. Why can't NorthernSouth run as Independents next season? Why not? WSR did it for about 3 years when MG collapsed. First in 2004 with Reidy and Turks, then in 2005 with Rob Collard and then with Collard and Turks in 2006. Surely it would keep NorthernSouth, Jase and DT in the BTCC and the issue of funds surely won't be that difficult. How much does DT and Jase have in the way of money exactly?

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
Its a very sad day indeed. I hope they reconsider.

Like I say I cannot see why NorthernSouth cannot run the team as Independents.

I mean WSR did it. If WSR didn't do it then it mustn't be impossible for a works team to continue without that factory support.

But in all honesty the only way Jase can finally beat Gio outright for the title and on a level of competition better than what Gio can produce - atleast at the third time of asking - is to be with a new factory team and one that has more resources and better personell than VXR.

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
i only just heard about this today, but it is a sad day not only for Seat and fellow forum members but to BTCC as a racing series as well.

i would just like to thank all of the guys who have helped organise stuff for SCN members at the BTCC meets, not just the moderators and forum members but also all the guys at Seat for their support as well

The team will be missed next year, and i am sure everyone will agree this and hope that we see Seat Sport UK back in the competition in the near future

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
Damn.. Only just read this! Am gutted! Was always good to see the Leons owning.. Was part of what got me interested in buying my FR!

Not going to be the same without the diesels. I won't have anything to prove to other people that diesel cars are actually good without them in the BTCC! :(

AusCupra

Sep 22, 2008
Wexford
Well I think they could run as independants and probably do it better then with manufacturer support... It all comes down to money though and who will pick up the bill! If they get a sponsor or dealer support then maybe, just maybe they'll stay... Otherwise i'm sure they'll field a team with someone else or in some other series??

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Damn.. Only just read this! Am gutted! Was always good to see the Leons owning.. Was part of what got me interested in buying my FR!

Not going to be the same without the diesels. I won't have anything to prove to other people that diesel cars are actually good without them in the BTCC! :(

Ahh but there is the Audi diesel monster at LeMans to fall back on ;)

And to prove my point that VAG petrol engines own all i whip out a piccy of the Veyron and then give said doubter the finger!

steveshady

Back to Deezley Weezly!
Mar 15, 2004
Exeter
VXR, seem to "get away with things" sometimes.

Their drivers have been a bit "aggresive" in their style all season, (and yes, I am aware the Touring cars have always had the odd tap here, the odd shunt there) as highlighted at Silverstone, when (not before time), Gio was fined and has race license docked for his aggressive moves against Darren Turner.

If another of the teams were to "seemingly" get away with murder on a regular basis, I'm sure Forum members/SEAT fans would be equally pi55ed off with them.

Totally agree, if i could look back over all the races I could come up with a load of instances where VXR used their offensively oversized elbow-shaped bumpers to get past. OCs move on Plato at knockhill was so blatent and he knew exactly what he was doing.

And its not just moves on Seats either, does everyone remember Neals retaliation against Jackson at snetterton? Jackson gave Neal a bit of an accidental rub just as he was lining up for the esses, then Neal responded with a huge boot back putting Jackson back 3 places in the gravel!

Not to forget when Gio shunted poor Andrew Jordan at Thruxton, turning him sideways and possibly costing the lad his first podium.

On a positive note however, did anyone hear who the possible new Manufactures might be on the ITV4 coverage the other day?

Honda? Ford? Volvo?

Honda and Volvo I can get (with their C30 from the WTCC), but I thought ford would be too tied up with their Rallying.

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish
.................On a positive note however, did anyone hear who the possible new Manufactures might be on the ITV4 coverage the other day?

Honda? Ford? Volvo?

Honda and Volvo I can get (with their C30 from the WTCC), but I thought ford would be too tied up with their Rallying..................

Even better than that, it seems that the 2 TDi Leons are actually not going back to Spain as first reported, but SEAT UK are putting them up for grabs, to the highest bidder (wonder what the finance would be like on one over 5 years?)

Bring them back to the BTCC, with one of the big independants.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
From what I've heard, Andy Priaulx has been told there's no WTCC drive for him next year as BMW are downsizing their programme to coincide with their ALMS M3 GTR coming out. The word in the paddock last weekend was Priaulx and Jackson in an RBM-run BTCC works team. That car of Jackson's has effectively been a works one this season anyway, a lot more RBM input into the car than people think there is. Small family-run team no longer......

seatstu

Apr 15, 2004
I am deeply saddened by this news. I really thought that next year could have been the year they won.

I hope that JP and DT do stay in the BTCC but don't drive either a Vauxhall or Halfords Honda, I don't think I could watch it if they did.

This is a real shame as the Leon is the best looking car out there and I think they were really brave going with the Diesel, they must have known this year would be mostly a development year and not too likely they would actually win but next year they could have done it.

We'll have to see what happens over winter.

Backdraft

VAG Saloons

Why not support the VAG Saloons series next year. We have had a good season this year and we expect to go from stregth to strength next season.
We may also be interested in running the diesel Leons in the Silverstone 24 hour in 2009 after our great race this year in the Audi TT.
Watch this space;-)

Bets Regards
Mark
Backdraft Motorsport

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise