SEAT Stop Cupra Production

CupraDesireRed

May 18, 2018
To be honest I'm not too sure of any performance differences between a 290 and a 300, If there are I'm sure I'll not notice.

As long as the new tech, interior quality and the exhaust note haven't changed. I'm sure it will bring plenty of smiles.

Iirc there is a decent torque difference between the two set ups.

IsIs t exhaust system different? If so the sound won't be the same as the 300?

Last edited:

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Iirc there is a decent torque difference between the two set ups.

IsIs t exhaust system different? If so the sound won't be the same as the 300?
280 3/5 door has an extra silencer compared to the 290/300.

All ST’s are the same. Apart from maybe the AWD ST that may have a different routing that I’m not aware of (due to the 4drive system).

Reactions: CupraDesireRed

Deleted member 103408

seat blurb

Not only is the engine 10PS more powerful than before (up from 290 to 300), but, more importantly, it’s maximum torque has increased from 350Nm to no less than 380Nm

edit but a stage one map on the 280 would do over 450Nm

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: xyz

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
seat blurb

Not only is the engine 10PS more powerful than before (up from 290 to 300), but, more importantly, it’s maximum torque has increased from 350Nm to no less than 380Nm

edit but a stage one map on the 280 would do over 450Nm

Cheers for this, so we're looking at increased torque.

With regards to BHP I've been let to believe that it's just marketing as some of the 280's were/are producing more than the 280BHP.

With me leasing and it currently being a manual ive not had the bottle to go down the remap route. Tbh I still get the traction issues from 1-3rd so I couldn't see the benefit. I'm guessing it would mean replacement tyres and something in place to handle the extra torque and power.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
280 3/5 door has an extra silencer compared to the 290/300.

All ST’s are the same. Apart from maybe the AWD ST that may have a different routing that I’m not aware of (due to the 4drive system).

Thinking about this now, the sound of the new 300/290 may well be different.

I'm thinking it was going to be effectively be a 290 engine/exhaust setup, but aren't they going to have the new GPF's installed?

This may well impact any exhaust notes.

Think we may have to start a new thread on the GPFs. Although the tech has moved on my experience of DPF's on my MK2 wasn't a good one...

Matt-taylor

May 1, 2018
SEAT have now confirmed that all unconfirmed existing orders for CUPRA 300 2WD will be built as 290PS (although there has been no mention of what will happen to any unconfirmed orders for 300 manual - if there are any - as that variant has now been discontinued). The ST 4Drive DSG-auto is unaffected, and remains 300PS.

To find out whether your order is confirmed or not. speak to your retailer. If they don't believe you when you tell them what I have posted on here tell them to read SE0550-18 on SEAT Hub!

They have also announced that the only change for MY19 CUPRA is that all colours are now included in the price (so no more paying extra for metallic paint) but, more interestingly, they have announced the introduction of CUPRA Lux Pack as an additional model, which gains Adaptive Cruise Control, Full Leather, Electric Driver Seat, KESSY and Wireless Phone Charger.

There has been no announcement yet regarding MY19 pricing, or when ordering will open...

Proper pissed off to say the least, just emailed my dealer now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thinking about this now, the sound of the new 300/290 may well be different.

I'm thinking it was going to be effectively be a 290 engine/exhaust setup, but aren't they going to have the new GPF's installed?

This may well impact any exhaust notes.

Think we may have to start a new thread on the GPFs. Although the tech has moved on my experience of DPF's on my MK2 wasn't a good one...
I was referring to the cat back part.

I suspect that GPF’s won’t be needed/possible for these engines. More powerful injectors, better spark plugs and a revised map wil probably be enough.

Suspect the engine will need a redesign to work properly with the GPF, much like just sticking the DPF on the diesel PD engine didn’t work to well.

Future engines will need them though as emission regs get even stronger. However from what I’ve read, passive ones should be enough due to the hotter temperatures in normal running that the petrol engines can produce.

Would appear that the 300 AWD ST due to the extra weight and drivetrain, means the engine is running more efficiently emissions wise.

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

Matt-taylor

May 1, 2018
Ive just phoned Seat UK who have told me that my car will be a 290 when it arrives, ordered it in April due October, annoyed that i only found out from reading forums and not via the dealer, i hope i can get some kind of extras added, will you be offering any kind of goodwill gesture Scrogg to your customers

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
...annoyed that i only found out from reading forums and not via the dealer...
Before you go in all guns blazing bear in mind SEAT only told retailers late on Friday. I didn't see the announcement until Saturday morning, and only did because I signed in to the Hub to check an old bulletin. SEAT don't post new stuff at the weekend, so we have little reason to sign in, so some (most) will not see the announcement until this morning.

...i hope i can get some kind of extras added, will you be offering any kind of goodwill gesture Scrogg to your customers
Why should retailers give customers free stuff because the manufacturer has changed the specification of a car between ordering and delivery? If you are going to demand extras demand them of SEAT...

Last edited:
Reactions: indyjones

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
Ive just phoned Seat UK who have told me that my car will be a 290 when it arrives, ordered it in April due October, annoyed that i only found out from reading forums and not via the dealer, i hope i can get some kind of extras added, will you be offering any kind of goodwill gesture Scrogg to your customers

Mmm. At this point I'm going to go back and start looking at lease deals again.
If they offer a 290 not a 300 then that isn't what I ordered and I'm pretty sure that means I can take my deposit back and cancel my contract with no obligation
Ffs SEAT, its not like this was a surprise to anyone in the industry, the lack of preparation is piss poor.

Matt-taylor

May 1, 2018
Before you go in all guns blazing bear in mind SEAT only told retailers late on Friday. I didn't see the announcement until Saturday morning, and only did because I signed in to the Hub to check an old bulletin. SEAT don't post new stuff at the weekend, so we have little reason to sign in, so some (most) will not see the announcement until this morning.

Why should retailers give customers free stuff because the manufacturer has changed the specification of a car between ordering and delivery? If you are going to demand extras demand them of SEAT...

I am not moaning at you in anyway and I appreciate you posting it on here, i will talk to Seat again

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Ordering for the current CUPRA 300 closed today. Ordering for MY19 - in DSG-auto only - will open mid-Q3 (so sometime in August).

MY19 will not be a "new shape" nor will it be the first of the new stand-alone CUPRA brand, it is likely (almost certainly - I'm just waitng on official confirmation) to be a 290 though, as SEAT are struggling to get the current 300 through WLTP.

(Now, if anyone wants a new, unregistered 300 Manual 5dr in Monsoon Grey with KESSY and SEAT Sound I have one in my showroom ;) )

Apologies on highjacking the thread...as far as you know / or can tell to us, is the 300 Cupra the only Leon engine being 'discontinued.' Saw some great leasing deals on the Leon Cupra 300DSG (ok, got it, it's now Discontinued) 1.8TSI DSG, and 1.4EcoTsi DSG (no 1.5 Evo in sight?), about to pull the trigger on one of the latter 2, now I'm not sure....Thanks!

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
Apologies on highjacking the thread...as far as you know / or can tell to us, is the 300 Cupra the only Leon engine being 'discontinued.'...
Have a read of this thread that has been running for over two months on that exact subject.

CupraDesireRed

May 18, 2018
Now been given a new date of October! instead of the original July 3rd (Feb order) and no mention from anyone that it will be a different model.

Unhappy doesn't even cover it

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Presumably the spec will remain the same apart from the engine output?

I've not driven a 300, is the extra torque noticeable over a 280/290.

Paul1979

Mar 30, 2018
Now been given a new date of October! instead of the original July 3rd (Feb order) and no mention from anyone that it will be a different model.

Unhappy doesn't even cover it

I am in the same boat. Ordered 19th Feb..nothing confirmed and today still not confirmed so anticipating them giving me a silly long date soon.

What model / spec did you order?

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
I've seen quite a few people on here claim the different versions of the Cupra all have the same power output and it's only the badging that is changed. Is it safe to say this is nonsense given the requirement to revert from 300 to 290?

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I've seen quite a few people on here claim the different versions of the Cupra all have the same power output and it's only the badging that is changed. Is it safe to say this is nonsense given the requirement to revert from 300 to 290?
I've read the same on here between 280 and 290, particularly around the ST. However I've not heard the same said about the 300.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
I've read the same on here between 280 and 290, particularly around the ST. However I've not heard the same said about the 300.
At the risk of being told I know nothing I remember reading the following somewhere

When the 290 was released - 'SEAT are keen for it to be known that the power increase is engineering/ mechanical changes rather than software' this was written when talking about the different exhaust system on the 290 compared to the 280.

This obviously can't be the case with the 300 due to the different torque outputs of the 300 compared with the 280/290. 300 has slightly higher mid range boost whilst maximum boost remains the same which goes someway to explaining why a car with supposedly 20more bhp still has the same 0-62 time.

Reactions: Matt-taylor
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise