Seat supplied TomTom710 Problems

EBlack

I recently took delivery of a new Altea FR, but only became aware of the free SatNav offer a couple of weeks prior to taking delivery, as the dealer had not informed me of this, and I only found out by looking at the seat website.

Anyway - I took delivery of the car without the satnav having been fitted, and was just given two boxes, one containing the satnav and the other containing the fitting kit, cowling, etc.

My problem is that my car does not appear to have the connector required to plug in the sat nav as part of the wiring loom (am told by my dealer that this is what the pre-installation is).

Bottom line is there doesn't appear to be any way to get the tomtom fitted and working as the connector from the loom does not exist, and to use the tomtom with the cigarette lighter power supply involves using the tomtom screen mount, which isn't the preferred option.

Has anyone else had this experience, or know of a workaround for connecting the tomtom?.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Am totally chuffed with the car otherwise - goes like a bat out of hell, and looks the dogs dangly bits!. Will try to get a couple of pics up once the weather allows (always raining in Scotland :( )

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Has the dealer looked and told you the wiring hasn't been fitted?

I beleive the side panel has to be removed from the end of the dash, is there nothing at all to plug the satnav's wiring into?

Would be useful if you could take some pictures of it.

EBlack

Hi 'Cupra R', yes unfortunately it would appear that as my car was not ordered with 'pre-installation' (as I had not been made aware of the offer at time of order) - the wires under the dash are not there!.

My lads who fit vehicle tracking units for a living, have had a look underneath, and there's nothing (nothing spare anyway!).

Maybe I'm being a bit naieve - but I wouldn't have thought that Seat would have made up and fit different looms for each vehicle - or maybe they do?!?!.

I'm hoping that it's just a cable with wiring block at either end that can just be ordered up - but getting info from the dealer (Arnold Clark, Edinburgh) is like getting water up a ducks bum. They've got my money now and just don't care!.

Am thinking of giving Seat UK a call today to see if they can shed any light on to the problem?.

Will keep my fingers crossed, otherwise I've got a SatNav and mount that is worthless!.

xlray

Jun 6, 2007
Hi EBlack

Interesting that you were eligible for the free tomtom without ordering the pre-wiring, as my dealer told me the offer was only valid if you had ordered that option. Have you got the little black PSU box labelled "tomtom" and a right angled bracket.

I dont think the wiring can be too difficult as there are only six wires on the pre-fitted loom.

My guess is 12v permanently on (the unit will turn on without the key in the ignition if placed on the mount and the on button pressed.

Switched 12v with ingnition. The unit if placed on the cradle will turn on and off with the ignition.

Earth.

Audio out to head unit.

Mute the radio line.

I am guessing the last one turns the radio on, if it is off, as in this state if the tomtom speaks the head unit turns on (displaying phone) and the tomtom instructions comes out through the speakers.

Don't give up the system works fine you just need to find ont the connections on the head unit.

XLRAY

EBlack

What happened in my case, was that I ordered my car on Saturday March 31st, and was not aware or told by the dealer of any promotion due to start the following day.

I found out about the free TomTom offer only by accident when I visited the Seat website about a month ago. I took this up with the dealer, and at first they told me that as I had ordered on the 31st of March that I wasn't eligeable, but I kicked off with them, and they then agreed to supply it.

When I collected the car, I was given 2 boxes, the TomTom and the fitting kit. Fair do's I thought - I'll fit it myself!. Only to find out that the reason they had not fitted it was that the wiring wasn't present, as the vehicle had not been ordered with pre-installation.

Maybe it's Seat's problem rather than the dealer - I suppose I'll never know. i do find it hard to believe however, that a main dealer did not know of a promotion due to start the following day!.

May just have to have some wiring made up myself if the dealer can't help. I called Seat customer services yesterday and was given a case number, but am yet to hear back from them.

Just a bit hacked off in general with the dealer (Arnold Clark Edinburgh), as the central armrest that I've paid for has still not arrived (collected car 2 weeks ago), the chrome boot trim was put on squint, and is now coming away at the near side, and of course the satnav issue is still outstanding!.

I love the car - but unfortunately can't say the same about the dealer, which doesn't bode well for the future!.

Hey ho....

'xlray' - thanks for the update on possible wiring connections. I work for a company that makes/installs vehicle tracking systems, so hopefully one of my engineers will be able to rattle up a cable for me, if Seat/Dealer don't come up with something!. P.S. Is your connector (6 wires) part of the main loom, or does it look like it could be an extension cable plugged in further back on the main loom?

Thanks for all your help.

Ewan.

EBlack

TomTom Update

Just had news back from Seat UK that because my car was ordered without the pre-installed wiring loom for the TomTom, it can NOT be retro fitted.

So..... can anyone who has had a free TomTom fitted with the pre-installation, please take a look with a meter at the connection from the loom to the extension lead from the dropper box, and let me know which of the six wires is the power, and which is the earth.

It looks like this is the only way to get it working, and even then not fully, ie through the car speakers, cutting out the stereo, etc.

I'll fit a handsfree car kit, and live with it, as long as I can get the satnav itself working!.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ewan

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
I don't see why Seat won't sell you or anyone else for that matter the necessary loom to get it working.

I was led to beleive that this was going to be able to be retro fitted to the car's, possibly at dealer level.

If this is not the case, I'll be a little miffed.

Having said that all I want to be able to do is power the unit, I'm not fussed about the instructions coming through the stereo, I think this would annoy me more personally, what with speed camera warnings every two minutes and the like. There'd be no point having the radio on.

xlray

Jun 6, 2007
Hi to Ewan and others.

I have put in a support question to Tomtom asking for schematics of their powersupply box and its wiring, with special questions on the use of the third connector and if it for the external microphone and TMC receiver.

This was submitted yesterday but I have not had a reply yet. If its negative I will keep pressing them, as the interface box is most certainly tomtom branded, so somebody there must know.

In the meantime I will get out my scope and try and work out how it all works. One point I don't believe the link above to be correct as the go 710 has a single 15pin connector. try this link

http://www.satnav-shop.com/index.php?ln=en&pg=6&sec=10

I will report back soon

XLRAY

chrispy

Be aware that the vehicle has a Canbus, and hard wiring in may create problems, i dont belive that the TomToms use a speed pulse so that should be one problem less.

As previously mentioned you really need top know the pick up points used on the O.E. upgrade.

Chris

EBlack

Reply from TomTom tech support

Sent TomTom tech support an email requesting wiring pin outs on their connector box - TomTom part number - guess what!. This part number doesn't show on our screen - so f*ck off!.

Got to say that I'm getting so hacked off with this 'free' satnav that I'm seriously thinking of just binning it!.

TomTom must have (next to Seat) the worst support/customer service in the developed world!. When I called them they were abrupt, rude, and just didn't want to know. If it's not on their screen as a supported product - then you're out of luck - even if it was manufacured by them!.

Seat are almost as bad!. Sent an email to Seat Spain over a week ago. Got an automated reply telling me that I would have an answer next business day - guess what...... I'm still waiting!.

How difficult is it!. All I'm asking is what is the pin for 12v in - and what is the pin for Earth on the connector block that they have supplied. Not exactly rocket science is it?.

xlray

Jun 6, 2007
Hi Eblack.

My support call to tomtom is still outstanding. Asked for details of schematics and how to connect TMC and ext mic. 1 week since submitted.

I was intending to try and work out the connections but ran out of time prior to leaving for my holiday.

With regard your other thread concerning fuel I did 250 miles up the A1 yesterday, 40 min delay through the Dartford Tunnel, and a 20 min stop.

Five hours overall, time dor to door and 47mpg overall. (XL 2L TDI , DSG)

XLRAY

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
EBlack, bit of a long shot, but how about contacting your dealer, ask them if they have any new Seats being registered with the free TomTom, and if so, could you arrange to observe the "mechanic" installing it and maybe able to see what wires go where?

Just a thought?

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
EBlack, my local dealer is absolutely fantastic (I think they have had best dealer for a few years!), I took my (company) 2005 Altea 2.0tdi Sport to them and asked if I could hard wire my Road Angel into the ignition switch for an ignition live, the owners son, who is head mechanic, told me "don't touch the wiring for f*ck sake, is can-bus and you can't just splice in, leave it here & I'll sort it for you", so I did just that, (& I had a courtesy car!), returned to collect it at the end of the day & he had gone off the back of the fuse box to get me an ignition live. In by the fuse box, he left me a pair of wires with a female shielded spade connector for live & male spade for earth to connect to whatever I want. I now have a TomTom 910 & have hard wired it in in replacement of the Road Angel. So, its all bollocks, it is perfectly possible provided you have the right man on the job! They also did it for nothing/no charge!
Raymonds Garage in Pontyberem, Carmarthenshire is THE best dealer!!!!!!!

Last edited:

EBlack

SatNav wiring

Thanks for all of your replies!.

My dealer can't / won't fit the satnav for me. Won't/can't even show me where the power lead and earth from the satnav should be connected to - as wait for this - they don't have an auto electrician. I asked them what they do if a car develops an electrical fault, and was told - they have diagnostic equipment that finds the fault for them. They weren't even prepared to look at finding out where I could take a feed from to power the unit!. :censored:

Unfortunately my dealer is probably the WORST Seat dealer in the known world, who I'm happy to name and shame as being

ARNOLD CLARK SEAT
SEAFIELD ROAD EAST
EDINBURGH

To anyone out there who is thinking of buying a car from them - my honest advice would be - DON'T!..

If you have a problem as I have - then there is no one central point of contact that you can complain to - the sales blame service, service blames parts and sales, etc, etc. Everyone says they are trying to help - but aren't, as no one can eithe give an answer or accept responsibility for just getting the job done!

I should have gone to a smaller Seat specific dealer rather than buy purely on cost!. A big mistake by me - but a lesson learnt!. I will NEVER buy another car from Arnold Clark. [:@]

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Hi to EBlack and others

Don't give up yet as I am hopeful that my dealer will come up trumps and let me discover for myself the + and - 12volt connections to the "black box"

I will keep this topic posted as to progress

John

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
Am I hearing this correctly. Somebody not happy with AC :lol:

Funny you should mention this branch. The now sales manager there, his first name begins with K and his surname begins with D totally mess me about around 5 yrs ago when he was a salesman at Hamilton road in Glasgow.

I can't tell you how angry I was at the time and he was not interested in helping me out either.

They are a poor company and it riles me that they do so well. Avoid like the .....!!!

Thanks for all of your replies!.

My dealer can't / won't fit the satnav for me. Won't/can't even show me where the power lead and earth from the satnav should be connected to - as wait for this - they don't have an auto electrician. I asked them what they do if a car develops an electrical fault, and was told - they have diagnostic equipment that finds the fault for them. They weren't even prepared to look at finding out where I could take a feed from to power the unit!. :censored:

Unfortunately my dealer is probably the WORST Seat dealer in the known world, who I'm happy to name and shame as being

ARNOLD CLARK SEAT
SEAFIELD ROAD EAST
EDINBURGH

To anyone out there who is thinking of buying a car from them - my honest advice would be - DON'T!..

If you have a problem as I have - then there is no one central point of contact that you can complain to - the sales blame service, service blames parts and sales, etc, etc. Everyone says they are trying to help - but aren't, as no one can eithe give an answer or accept responsibility for just getting the job done!

I should have gone to a smaller Seat specific dealer rather than buy purely on cost!. A big mistake by me - but a lesson learnt!. I will NEVER buy another car from Arnold Clark. [:@]

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Hello to all

I Promised to report back so here goes
On the twenty way connector into the "Black Box" the power connections are:-

Grey or Slate wire = Earth
Red Wire = 12 volt positive permanent feed
Purple Wire = 12 volt positive switched by the ignition switch.

Hope this helps

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
John.

Where did you get the supplies from to power the Tom Tom?

Also, what did you do, chop the plug connector off the short loom, then connect this to the car's wiring?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.