Seat supplied TomTom710 Problems

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Hi Cupra R

Do you have any pics of the Tomtom installed in your car?

Thanks

Atty

Unfortunately Atty, this is the only picture I have taken so far and it was with my phone at that.

Image014.jpg

AttyNW

Aug 28, 2006
Warrington, Cheshire
Thats brilliant thanks very much. I already own a Tomtom 710 so I'm really pleased to find that Seat do this mount for the Leon. Can I ask where you wired yours in Cupra R?

Last edited:

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Thats brilliant thanks very much. I already own a Tomtom 710 so I'm really pleased to find that Seat do this mount for the Leon. Can I ask where you wired yours in Cupra R?

Follow the wiring colours that Jonial has posted on here, then I put the two + wires into one side of a fuse holder, out of the fuse holder into the fuse box that you'll uncover when you remove the side panel to fit the dash mount. For the earth I put a ring connection onto the screw that holds the fuse box to the chassis.

I then got 3 small crimp on female spades (they do need to be very small) I then heatshrinked the ends so as they cannot touch each other at all, then pushed these into the plug onto the male ends that are inside the plug. I didn't want to cut the plug off you see.

Hope this helps, if I can help you in anyother way, then please feel free to ask mate.

AttyNW

Aug 28, 2006
Warrington, Cheshire
That helps a great deal. I am waiting on a price from my local dealer for the mount, then I will decide if its worth spending the money.
Is there a cable trailing from the back of the mount which isn't visable in your picture.
Thanks again for your responses I appreciate it.

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
That helps a great deal. I am waiting on a price from my local dealer for the mount, then I will decide if its worth spending the money.
Is there a cable trailing from the back of the mount which isn't visable in your picture.
Thanks again for your responses I appreciate it.

Yes there is a cable mate, in the box if you get it, there's the mount with the cabling coming from it, a small black Tom Tom box (this will knock your 12v down to 5v for the tom tom.) and a short piece of wiring loom, this short piece of loom is what would plug into the car if you had the factory wiring installed.

Please bear in mind mate, that in my opinion it covers the internal speaker of the tom tom and therefore quietens it a bit. You can still hear it clearly enough, but all the same wanted to let you know. Obviously it is designed to be integrated into the car and the voiced instructions would come through the car's speakers.

I turned mine up to 100% volume and could hear it, but not anywhere near as loud as on the suction mount set at 90%

malcvxer

I have read this thread with interest. I last week took delivery of a Toledo Sport (brilliant). I knew that because it had the full bluetooth thingy (excellent by the way) that the fully integrated TT wouldn't work. So, I asked the dealer to fit and hard wire the bracket and unit. I didn't want any BT or speaker functionality - just the bracket and the power supply. I have a 510 and when I fit it I find three things: a) NO power supply and b) the angle of the TT appear to be wrong. c) that the unit is asking to connect to a computer!!! and keep repeating same!!! From this thread I deduce that they haven't bothered to wire it in as Jonial suggested. (John have you got it working OK now??) but what about the angle and the "computer" connection message??? It seems to me that the Seat fitment is simply the docking module moulded into a binnacle. The part itself is fitted (in terms of location) correctly so I would wlecome any "ammo" to go back to the dealer with! For £150 for a bit of plastic and a pwer supply I expect MORE. Any guidance appreciated. Malcolm

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Malcolm, If you pull the mount up, it will alter the angle. it's notched and kind of angles on a ball and socket. If you twist it then it will spin round to an angle your happy with. It will just be stiff with being new.

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
P.S. I agree, it is just the std TT mount fitted to a specific pod, for this reason it doe's cover part of the TT's internal speaker.

All I can suggest re power supply is to remove the side panel, this will uncover the fuse box and TT mount's wiring. It will be apparent if it has indeed been wired up for power.

RE asking if you want to connect to a PC, mine has done this too but on the std suction mount. I have only noticed it the once though. Mines a 910 model. I think this may have something to do with possible settings or maybe the application version you may have on your TT

Last edited:

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Just keeping an eye on this thread !!

Glad my pointers have been of use to you.

My TomTom710 is working absolutely perfectly on the mount.

Just one observation - the mount is not the same as the windscreen mount as it does not hold the TomTom as rigidly as the windscreen mount does.

Hope this makes sense

John

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Just keeping an eye on this thread !!

Glad my pointers have been of use to you.

My TomTom710 is working absolutely perfectly on the mount.

Just one observation - the mount is not the same as the windscreen mount as it does not hold the TomTom as rigidly as the windscreen mount does.

Hope this makes sense

John

LO John.

I found the Dash Mount to hold my unit alot more securely than the windscreen mount. Maybe I never got the windscreen mount on correctly.

xlray

Jun 6, 2007
Hi malcvxer

To me the problems that you are describing that the wiring may not be correct. My Seat supplied TT710 would not connect to the computer when I first got it (via the TT mount with USB) I tried my neighbours with no effect but then reset the unit and it worked fine.
Anyway in the process of faultfinding if I remember rightly I discovered that the TT mount supplied a power signal to the TomTom to indicate that that computer was connected.

If the power feed was incorrectly connected it might cause this type of problem.

To my knowledge no one yet has managed to get any circuit schematics from either TomTom or SEAT.

xlray.

AttyNW

Aug 28, 2006
Warrington, Cheshire
I haven't manged to get any circuit schematics from either Tomtom or SEAT yet. I am still following this up with Tomtom support who so far have been completely useless! Unless it's something described on their web site they aren't interested.

The story so far, needs to be read from the bottom up:

I have a Tomtom dash mount kit for a SEAT LEON (2006) as shown in the link below

Discussion Thread
Response (Elizabeth B. (UK)) 27/09/2007 08.12 AM
Dear Mr Atty,

We currently cannot offer you an immediate suitable solution for this problem. We will send your question to our Retail Support Department.

Please be patient and thank you for your query.

With Best Regards

TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer (Atty) 22/09/2007 09.02 PM

Hello again

Thanks for your reply however you still haven't answered my original question.
Whilst I appreciate hard wired options such as this dash mount kit should be installed by trained fitters, as an electrical engineer I could not install this accessory correctly and safely without the pinout information for this device, nor could an authorised trained fitter.

As this item is manufactured by TomTom then the information I require is somewhere in your organisation.

Since you are only trained to troubleshoot the devices and give support for items found on your website I would be extremely grateful if you could either forward my request onto the relevant department or provide me with an address or number where they can be contacted.

Regards

Mr Atty

Response (Elizabeth B. (UK)) 18/09/2007 10.02 AM
Dear Mr Atty,

It is true that this item is manufactured by TomTom. However, as with all hardwired options, such as the Permanent Docking Kit for earlier Go devices, they MUST be fitted only by a trained and authorised fitter/dealer. We are only trained to troubleshoot the devices and give support for items found on our website.
In this case, SEAT, or whoever sold this item to you needs to advise further.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Response (Elizabeth B. (UK)) 12/09/2007 09.09 AM
Dear Mr Atty,

We currently cannot offer you an immediate suitable solution for this problem. We will send your question to our 2nd line technical department.

Please be patient and thank you for your query.

With Best Regards

TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer (Atty) 08/09/2007 12.32 AM

TomTom GO integrated into new SEAT cars as per your press release

http://www.tomtom.com/news/category.php?ID=4&NID=298&Year=2006&Language=1

Customer (Atty) 07/09/2007 11.40 PM
If you look at the picture I attached to my question you will see that it does not fix to the car windscreen but sits on the dashboard. I am assured by SEAT the kit is manufactured by yourselves. There are several wires that need to be hard wired to the vehicle to enable it to mute the stereo and put sound through the cars speakers etc, not just charge it through a 12V socket.

If you clink the link I provided and then goto LEON 2006 then Satellite Navigation then Navigation Systems then Tomtom Dash Mount Kit you will see the part I am refering to. I need a wiring diagram showing how this is connected to my vehicle. I would be extremely grateful if you could provide this.
Thankyou for your help.

Response (Elizabeth B. (UK)) 07/09/2007 06.56 PM
Dear Mr Atty,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

If the Tomtom is mounted, it does not need to be wired at all. Only if you need to connect the device to the in-car charger while driving, then you would have to contact SEAT as to where to connect the car charger. We only manufacture mounting kits that are found on our website.

With Best Regards

Customer (Atty) 05/09/2007 10.39 AM
I have a Tomtom dash mount kit for a SEAT LEON (2006) as shown in the link below. My vehicle does not have the factory preparation for this accessory therefore I need a wiring diagram showing how this is connected to my vehicle. I would be extremely grateful if you could provide the pinout information for this dash mount kit.

http://www.seat.co.uk/generator/su/uk/SEAT/site/Service/original-accessories/main.html

malcvxer

Update

Atty

This is most helpful _ and I guess very frustrating!!!! From the forums it is clear that it CAN be done. It's just puzzling why everyone wants to pass the buck! It can't be that tricky can it? I've contacted my dealer to follow up so let's keep updating the thread eh?
Thanks to everyone for the feedback re error messages and angle of dangle - both solved thanks (the former by updating the TTN software via TT Home.

Regards

AttyNW

Aug 28, 2006
Warrington, Cheshire
UPDATE:

Lets hope it's the correct documentation..........fingers crossed.

Response (Valerie K. (UK)) 01/10/2007 10.05 AM
Dear Mr Atty,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

Please be advised that we have arranged to send you by post the requested documentation. Please refer to the first page which states, "TomTom Car Connect must be professionally installed to be covered by our full warranty. To ensure that the customer’s
full warranty is valid they will need to have a proof of purchase and proof of professional installation."

Please allow up to one week for receipt at your address.

With Best Regards

Customer (Atty) 28/09/2007 05.14 PM
Hello Valerie K

I have already been intouch with SEAT UK and since my vehicle is not equiped with the factory preparation they are unable to offer support in relation to this device. They also informed me that this device is manufactured by Tomtom and Elizabeth B confirmed this on 18.09.2007.

I am not sure why your customer support team are having difficulty in providing me with the required information.

As I have explained I wish to retro fit this accessory to my vehicle and without the pinout data for it then it is impossible.

Thanks again
Mr Atty

xlray

Jun 6, 2007
Hi AttyNW.

You seem to be having more success than me at getting the schematics ( fingers crossed). Two attempts to TT customer services from me both failed.

I would be interested in the information if it arrives. If it could be posted then that would be excellent. Please keep everybody posted.

Xlray

AttyNW

Aug 28, 2006
Warrington, Cheshire
TomTom Dash Mount Kit

OK guys the information I requested has finally arrived. I'm not sure they have sent the correct info since it is for the TomTom Car Connect. I haven't purchased the Dash Mount Kit from SEAT yet so I am unable to compare the kit with these instructions.

I have scanned the complete set of info and you can check it all out here:

http://sensesfail.bulldoghome.com/photos/BDRES/sensesfail_bulldoghome_com/

I would be grateful if someone would compare their Dash Mount Kit etc with this info from TomTom and let me know if it appears to be correct.

Cheers

Atty

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Hi Atty

The only difference that I can see is that I use pin 10 for the power earth and it does work ok.

I think that all the earths or negatives are commoned within the "Box"

AttyNW

Aug 28, 2006
Warrington, Cheshire
Jonial

You said in an earlier post that you have a twenty way connector going into a "Black Box" so it looks promising that the pinout information from TomTom is correct and possibly that the "Black Box" is the TomTom Car Connect. :D

Did you get any literature for you dash mount kit?

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Atty

There was not any info with my kit apart from a piece of paper which just gave a general idea as to which cable plug went where.

My dealer very kindly let me use my multi-meter to measure the voltages on each of the pins of the input cable.

I did not use any connections of Mic. input or audio out as I was quite happy for the TomTom710 to use its own internal speaker.

It could easily be that the negative 12 volts was on pin 3 as well as pin 10 on the twenty way connector.

The mounting that I bought and retro fitted was the dashboard mounting kit which is described as "The TomTom GO Navigation kit "

Hope this helps you

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.