SEAT to produce two new C/D-segment models in Martorell

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
The Spanish car maker SEAT, S.A. will manufacture two new C/D-segment models at its plant in Martorell. This was announced today by SEAT chairman Erich Schmitt, during a meeting with several media representatives at the SEAT headquarters. In the future, SEAT will have two versions: a saloon and an estate car.

It looks like it'll be a passat sized car (probably based on the current gen chassis) - and look! no dynamic line

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
looks nice(for a sketch) i think they have been needing an estate.i was thinking a leon vario. on the current leon chassis.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Liking that, if they stick to the brief at least. Be just about the right time, 2010, 2011 for the quick versions. ;)

I would wager this is the first full design with Luc Donckerwolke in charge as Design Director. You can see some of the Lamborghini styling in that drawing.

Bit more angular. Certainly the early signs look good.

andyb

Admin -SCN Canada:)
Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
www.andyblackmoredesign.com

Its just a sketch….and a much better one than I can do….BUT, that would have taken about 10 minutes top, probably less, so designers will create hundreds and hundreds of thumbnails like this. When I worked on the F1 GT front end concepts (I had nothing to do with the rear) I must have had a couple of hundred thumbnails like this…anyway I digress, the point is, probably don’t read too much into this. When concepting, you take liberties with the proportions.

Assuming this is as per a 'real concept' (and limousine in some languages means saloon) I’d agree, its Passat, A4 size. It’s a very Audi influenced design.

Take away the SEAT badge and its very close to the A4 right down to the bonnet and side shoulders, even the bumper lines and lights. The way the bottoms of the doors integrate into the sill hints at A4 door blades. Luc Donckerwolke is great with detail design, and even as a design director, I suspect he’s very hands on with that.

Still lots of pre-Donckerwolke influence in that car from the Da Silva era (who IIRC is above Luc in VW Audi).

The dynamic line has gone (yeah!!!), but the new less dynamic line does seem to taper down towards the rear, a little like the Jaguar S-Type. IMHO, that line isn’t that successful on the Jaguar, so its relationship with the trunk will be critical.

I do like the angled front, look at the lower bumper. Its just a sketch so crash structures, ped safety will probably cause issues with this, but it looks great. Makes it look very dynamic.

Overall its much more conservative, BUT the Toledo, Passat market needs that. I’m sure this will share the chassis with something, maybe the Passat or Skoda Octavia

Last edited:

andyb

Admin -SCN Canada:)
Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
www.andyblackmoredesign.com
main.php

Just seen the rear view. Interesting, line doesnt taper down as much as the front view on the rear fender, just artistic licence.

So, the rear is nice. The lights give a hint of Altea to them, but also a little Alfa (and new Lancer) with the subtle shoulder suface underneath the lights. The way the bumper shutline and the small lip spoiler is pure A4 though.

I wonder, how much A4 this car might have. Don't forget how close the original Skoda Superb was to the VW Passat (Superb and Chinese Passat are the same)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
main.php

Just seen the rear view. Interesting, line doesnt taper down as much as the front view on the rear fender, just artistic licence.

So, the rear is nice. The lights give a hint of Altea to them, but also a little Alfa (and new Lancer) with the subtle shoulder suface underneath the lights. The way the bumper shutline and the small lip spoiler is pure A4 though.

I wonder, how much A4 this car might have. Don't forget how close the original Skoda Superb was to the VW Passat (Superb and Chinese Passat are the same)

I think they just etcher sketched over this image

r36p_rear.jpg

r36p_8002.jpg

S-X-I

This is the type of car SEAT should be producing, sporty and sleek.

Scoobster

Scooby THE Scoobster
If they want a good high-end vehicle to the SEAT range, I would suggest somewhere between the A4 and A5.... Current sketch from the front suggests the sloping rear end of the A5, but the rear sketch doesn't and sticks closer to the A4 and Passat R36, as suggested above.

I imagine the finished thing won't be too dissimilar to the R36 that is shown above and personally I like it. However, by the time it arrives I suspect I'll have moved passed that type of vehicle and be sloping towards an early "mid-life crisis" purchase (e.g. sports car) to accompany a business-leased daily diesel guzzler.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
At last a Seat the size I need.....early concept pics as AndyB says and this may well be a long way off what we get.....still very promising.

Hope it stays this good looking and doesn't end up looking like a Pseudo MPV dogs breakfast

Mar 26, 2007
Norn Iron
Anyone else think from the front that the Seat looks like the new leon FR..? The lines, the wing mirrors etc..

Could be a very sexy car, id definately consider one..

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.