seat toledo 02 1.9tdi 110 blowback problems

cavie_toledo

when i put on straight pipeon exhaust it willnt blowback! why???

willives

Apr 20, 2008
Wiltshire or Spain
Blowback?? I'm assuming your talking about the popping noise some cars have on the over-run.

It is caused by the engine running too rich and excess fuel is ignited in the exhaust.

I always thought only petrols did this as diesel requires heat and pressure to ignite :shrug:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I've no idea what you're talking about. The individual words are English, but put together they are gibberish.

Diesels don't backfire.

cavie_toledo

u must be stupid then cause my friend took back box of his and she blowsback when he lifts of the rev!!

cavie_toledo

put this into youtube (gti tdi golf exoust sound) bring up a black golf listen to it!AND ITS DIESEL

Jun 28, 2001
Thats the waste gate there you are hearing. I take it the cat has been taken out along with the centre silencer? Thats why there is so much soot coming out!

willives

Apr 20, 2008
Wiltshire or Spain
You can hear it with just the backbox removed, but it is far louder with the cat removed as well.

BTW, calling somebody who obviously knows far more than you do stupid only makes you look stupid yourself. Politeness costs nothing.

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
At least the misspelling makes it easy to locate the correct clip.

That isn't backfiring, as has already been pointed out. That's the wastegate opening on the overrun. Like I said, diesels don't backfire.

Something fishy about this though. GT TDI has a 130bhp PD engine and variable-vane turbo, no wastegate. So either that's an aftermarket turbo or a TDI 90 engine.

Anyway it explains your problem. No wastegate.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i'm sorry but that has got to be the funniest sheet i've since on youtube since 'Charlie bit my Finger'

need some tissues ? sounds like someone's got a cold - aaaaaAAAAA CHOOO

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
At least the misspelling makes it easy to locate the correct clip.

That isn't backfiring, as has already been pointed out. That's the wastegate opening on the overrun. Like I said, diesels don't backfire.

Something fishy about this though. GT TDI has a 130bhp PD engine and variable-vane turbo, no wastegate. So either that's an aftermarket turbo or a TDI 90 engine.

Anyway it explains your problem. No wastegate.
The early GT TDI Golfs had the 110bhp engine, and some continental spec cars came with a wastegated turbo rather than a VNT. Not in this country though as standard, but the Youtube clip is an Italian car.

Toledo_130

it obviously has nothing to do with the wastegate as the 90 - 150 engine all make a loud poooow noise with the backbox n cat removed.... 90 having a wastegate, 100 110 115 130 150 all having a vnt

iirc it is something to do with the turbo turbine spining the opposite direction when you let off the revs.. could be wrong.lol

il have a wee search on uk-mkivs again

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
it obviously has nothing to do with the wastegate as the 90 - 150 engine all make a loud poooow noise with the backbox n cat removed.... 90 having a wastegate, 100 110 115 130 150 all having a vnt

iirc it is something to do with the turbo turbine spining the opposite direction when you let off the revs.. could be wrong.lol

il have a wee search on uk-mkivs again

I thought the wastegate (or its equivalent device) is designed to stop the turbo spinning in the opposite direction? The sudden drop in pressure when changing direction can cause a reverse pressure flow into the turbo, but in general if this pressure is allowed to progress to the turbo, you either have massive lag as the turbo spins up again, or in the worst case the turbo will eventually self destruct from the forces.

I may be wrong though, I'm desperately trying to remember my turbocharger theory!! :)

Edit: Oops, I thought I'd got it wrong. The wastegate simply controls the amount of boost pressure to stop the turbo from spinning beyond it's limits. It's the dump valve that stops the air pressure from killing the turbo...

Last edited:

infinityraver

poww

Most toledos ive ever seen with straight throughs poww. Its class and im considering it. You get the same effect taking the clip out in the middle the exhaust. I think its something to do with the drop in pressure and the turbo when you change gear etc

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Thinking more about this fluttering noise on the overrun, the wastegate is actuated by overpressure in the exhaust manifold, and there shouldn't be overpressure on the overrun. Although the ECU could be opening the wastegate to slow the turbo down.

What happens when you lift your foot off on a TDI engine is that fuel is cut off from the injectors, and the engine becomes an air pump. This will reduce the pressure in the exhaust manifold as there are no hot combustion products. So, maybe with the silencers and catalyst removed, the noise that can be heard is the difference between an engine producing power, with fuel going bang in the cylinders, and an engine in engine-braking mode, with no bangs in the cylinders, just flutter as the air is pushed out of the exhuast valves. Mind you, that still has to make it through the exhaust turbine, which is going to damp it down.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise