Seat Uk

rji

Dec 18, 2010
Whats the problem youve got mate?

Unidentified noise from the engine when under load, even a light load. Extremely bad fuel consumption. Too many active DPF regens. Sometimes another will start about 10 minutes after I have cleared one as described in the manual, but no DPF warning light yet. All present from new.

But no fault codes = no fault. Dealers can't do anything because there are no fault codes. Seat Customer Care and Seat Technical Unit will not accept that anything can possibly be wrong because the ECU has not recorded any fault codes.

rji

Dec 18, 2010
Yeah thanks, but I've had nothing done. Motech do an ecomap and I think they can install start/stop but I wouldn't have anyone else do anything to it while it's still under warranty.

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
rji, document everything, including all phone calls, who you have spoken too, what they have said, dates and times.

Then send SEAT UK a registered letter and send one to your dealer as well.

As I said above read the sale of goods act and your warranty. Once you understand these points you can then argue your point correctly.

Last edited:

rji

Dec 18, 2010
what is the mileage on the vehicle?

Now has over 4,500 miles. If you think it's still tight and it just needs more miles then you need to understand that it will require a 50% increase in mpg to get it to where it should be. There was a slight improvement up to around 2,000 miles but nothing noticeable since. We have owned 2 previous CR diesels from new and 2 diesels from 1 year old. Plus 2 Peugeot 205 diesels from new about 25 years ago. We know what to expect. We know that we can achieve close to or better than the combined cycle figures for the cars we have owned. We have fuel records back to August 1998. This should be the most fuel efficient car we have ever owned and it is only very slightly better than the 7 seater mpv and worse than others.

Because there were no fault codes recorded by the ECU the low mpg and the engine noise have just been dismissed without investigation.

We have kept a record of all communication. The next visit to the dealer will be the first time at the dealer we bought it from. If the outcome is the same and they refuse to have Seat Technical investigate then we will have take the problem to Seat UK.

adamb87 was told:
wait until my second service and see what the crack is then
It's all very well referencing the Sale of Goods Act and Warranty T&C's but if they refuse to accept there is a problem and want to fob you off for 2 years what can you do?

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
Did you buy the car for the claimed efficiency?

If so I wonder if you can reject it for not being fit for purpose if it's purpose was to be a fuel efficient form of transport?

Was it sold on the basis of it's fuel efficiency?

rji

Dec 18, 2010
m0rk said:
After two years you will be deemed to have accepted the car with all it's characteristics.

Rightly so!

Seat Customer Care said that the Technical Unit would refuse to even look at it until it had done 8,000 miles. For us and indeed for most owners the car would then be more than 6 months old. At which point you would be deemed to have accepted the car.

Mr Cellotape
Was it sold on the basis of it's fuel efficiency?

The Ibiza brochure says "So our new range of engines is cleaner and more fuel efficient than ever before...". The claims are based on the official emissions figures. Even the claims for the new VW Passat (same engine with BlueMotion) of up to 1,000 miles per tank is based on its official combined cycle figure of 65.7 mpg.

It is required to meet the low emissions and low consumption that was achieved by the test vehicle that had 1,800 miles when tested. The manufacturer has to prove Conformity of Production before the official figures can be used. Many other owners on this forum can achieve good mpg even where some are being a bit "heavy footed". If a defect in manufacture or workmanship is preventing this car from performing as required then under the terms of the warranty it must be repaired. If it cannot be repaired then it must be replaced.

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
It is required to meet the low emissions and low consumption that was achieved by the test vehicle that had 1,800 miles when tested. The manufacturer has to prove Conformity of Production before the official figures can be used. Many other owners on this forum can achieve good mpg even where some are being a bit "heavy footed". If a defect in manufacture or workmanship is preventing this car from performing as required then under the terms of the warranty it must be repaired. If it cannot be repaired then it must be replaced.

There you go, get letter writting and demand a repair. :D

K1Shane

336bhp 319 lb/ft
Apr 17, 2010
Northfleet
Well, I've hopefully started the ball rolling on getting everything sorted with the K1. Me and the service manager have had our meeting and discussed the problems. We have agreed only 1 tecchie (the Head tecchy I'll have you know!) will ever accept the car in, undertake the required work, then complete the car hand back to me personally. Which is a good start. Am booked in for the 2nd of April to go for a road test and to physically point out the problems etc, so will update then.

'Darren' @ SeatUK in the mean time keeps calling and leaving me messages to return his calls. Never describing what its about. Yet anytime I call back I get told "he's on the phone can we ask him to ring you after he's finished?"

"Yes please"

That was Friday @ 11am. And then again yesterday at 10:30am and today at 12:30

SeatUK -> USELESS!

rji

Dec 18, 2010
K1Shane said:

We have agreed only 1 tecchie (the Head tecchy I'll have you know!) will ever accept the car in

Do you mean the "Master Technician" :worship: is going to look after your car personally, oooooh. You are honoured. I actually got to peak to a "Master Technician" once. Not a Master Technician from the Seat Technical Unit of course. Customers are never allowed to contact the Technical Unit.

Have they reversed what they said about you having to pay labour charges to find a fault that's going to be repaired under warranty? Because I think they'll find the warranty covers parts and labour.

He said Seat customer services aren't really the ones to be calling as they don't monitor the service centres

Did they tell you who you should be calling? The customer care assistant I was talking to appointed himself as my Case Manager. Doesn't that mean they are the people to talk to?

My Case Manager took details of all the problems (wrote them down longhand because it was faster than typing) to pass on to the dealer saying he would get heavy-handed with them. But when we got there the dealer had not been given the details.

Seriously though, I hope they get it sorted for you.

K1Shane

336bhp 319 lb/ft
Apr 17, 2010
Northfleet
K1Shane said:

Do you mean the "Master Technician" :worship: is going to look after your car personally, oooooh. You are honoured. I actually got to peak to a "Master Technician" once. Not a Master Technician from the Seat Technical Unit of course. Customers are never allowed to contact the Technical Unit.

Have they reversed what they said about you having to pay labour charges to find a fault that's going to be repaired under warranty? Because I think they'll find the warranty covers parts and labour.

Did they tell you who you should be calling? The customer care assistant I was talking to appointed himself as my Case Manager. Doesn't that mean they are the people to talk to?

My Case Manager took details of all the problems (wrote them down longhand because it was faster than typing) to pass on to the dealer saying he would get heavy-handed with them. But when we got there the dealer had not been given the details.

Seriously though, I hope they get it sorted for you.

Yeah he is a master technician lol I would feel privileged but it's taken me threatening to 'dump' the car back on their forecourt to get here.

We haven't agreed terms in the sense of what is and what isn't warranty as the faults haven't been able to be replicated as such. But trust me, it'll be under warranty ;)

Thanks for the good wishes. Watch this space I suppose haha

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.