SEAT Unveils the All-New City Car - the Mii

cliveseat

May 15, 2008
West Yorks
Reality check....

Obviously the Mii (how the hell do you pronounce that?) isn't aimed at the majority of the contributors to SCN, but that's missing the point, I think. The UP's been getting rave reviews for its quality and driveability, so why shouldn't the Mii be more of the same, only at a cut-price?
When I got my '09 Exeo recently, my 23-year-old son drove it for the first week on a free 7-day insurance policy, as part of the deal. Needless to say, he loved it - but adding him to my full-time policy would have cost £2k. When he gets a job - hopefully soon - he'll be looking to replace a seven-year-old Group 1 Citroen C2 with something cheap to fuel and insure, which has folding rear seats so he can fit his drum kit in the back (he's a gigging musician). Questions may be asked of the Mii's interior quality but, take it from me, it looks to be leagues ahead of the C2, and if SEAT pitch it at the right price and it's in a low tax and insurance group, I can imagine my lad hot-footing it to the local dealer to give it a spin. If it gives him economical, sturdy transport for a few years, where's the the problem with that? Modern SEATS - Ibiza, Leon, Exeo - are pretty well screwed together and there's no reason why the Mii shouldn't be too.
Sure, it's easy to carp about SEAT just getting VW's cast-offs but platform sharing/badge engineering is where it's at these days - and I think we can all agree that most of their current models are a damn good drive, even though their underpinnings appear across the whole VAG range. And obviously VW don't want the Skoda and SEAT versions to outshine their new pup.
I'd also like to see a bit more Spanish flair re-introduced to the SEAT range. But that says more about VAG's bid for global domination than anything else - I think they've got their fingers in so many pies just now, that SEAT's future direction is a pretty low priority at the moment.
However, I'd be quite happy to see my son driving about in a Mii rather than its over-priced and (to my eyes) uglier VW/Skoda counterpart or, worse still, any of the C1/107/Aygo brotherhood. Now they're REALLY cheap and nasty.

cliveseat

May 15, 2008
West Yorks
Actually, in the Aygo's case, not that cheap! Suzuki Alto's worth a look, though, despite third world plastics - that three cylinder engine's a gem.

McMillan

Hmm not so sure about this, thought it might have been a bit more interesting

Adam_

Dec 16, 2010
Gloucestershire
Actually, in the Aygo's case, not that cheap! Suzuki Alto's worth a look, though, despite third world plastics - that three cylinder engine's a gem.

The interior in the Mii won't be any better! Coming from a VW to a Seat the only downer really was the interior plastics are terrible imo! VW much better.

foto2021

May 2, 2011
Buckinghamshire
:confused: Um, one what? Mii? I very much doubt it.

I spoke to SEAT and they quoted a list price of "under £7500" for the cheapest model.

This car doesn't deserve most the criticism it has had here. First, it is a city car, the replacement for the Arosa and I suspect most of the critics are not in the market for such a small car. Second, it is a completely new design. The engine, gearbox, suspension and body structure are all completely new. This is very unusual - the Arosa was basically a shortened Polo, and very little about it was new.

The Mii is the same length as the Arosa but there is masses more legroom inside. The boot is twice the size of the Arosa's. Reviews of the VW Up!, Skoda Citigo and now the Mii have all praised the build quality and the quality of the ride.

All this for "under £7500" makes it a very competitive entrant to the market for city cars.

I'm an Arosa owner and am already thinking about replacing it with a Mii just as soon as the automatic version is released. Based on reading several reviews, the Mii is a much better car than the Arosa in so many ways.

Those of you who own or aspire to a larger or sportier car shouldn't criticise, because this car is NOT aimed at you!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.