Secondary water pump

SidewaysCupra

Mar 20, 2007
Carmarthen
My secondary water pump is playing up. When I first had the car the pump would work even if you only turned the ignition on. Now it rarely works at all.

I have replaced the old one with a reconditioned pump and it still only works when it wants too. For some reason it works every time on frosty mornings but won't come on when the car is hot.

I'm pretty sure the pump is fine. I'm thinking there may be a loose connection somewhere. Anybody know where to start looking?

ian_cupra

hmm, not sure if WD40 would be the best thing to spray on it :lol: might well be the pump on its way out then mate

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
hmm, not sure if WD40 would be the best thing to spray on it :lol: might well be the pump on its way out then mate

Whats funny mate? he is suggesting spraying the electrical connectors with wd40? Its a moisture repellent so its normal to do so

ian_cupra

i'd have used some electrical connector cleaner, but then i get it from work

OliMonty

Mk 3 Ibiza Cupra
Mar 13, 2007
Check your spade fuses on top of the battery, my pump stopped working randomly and I thought it had gone. Checked the fuses on a random tip off from a mate to find one was badly damaged from arcing (cant remember which). Replaced fuse and never had a problem since.....worth a shot and is easy to check

SidewaysCupra

Mar 20, 2007
Carmarthen
Check your spade fuses on top of the battery, my pump stopped working randomly and I thought it had gone. Checked the fuses on a random tip off from a mate to find one was badly damaged from arcing (cant remember which). Replaced fuse and never had a problem since.....worth a shot and is easy to check

Just been out for a look now and they are all quite grotty. Will give them a clean and report back tommorrow.

This seems like a suitable job for electrical contact cleaner.:lol:

$mila

this is a possibility as im having simular sort of troubles.... there is a module that controls the secondary water pump, it also control aircon and engine fans. it is situated next to the radiator fan switch. my water pump, air con and fans wernt working, i checked all of the fuses etc and then came across this module. i picked a second hand one up and now the water pumps works but not 100% of the time. a new module is approx £100 from stealers. im going to invest in one. it might be something to consider.part num....1j0 919 506 G but check the last letter on yours for correct part spec.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.