Secondary Water Pump

bobak

Opinionated non-mechanic
May 15, 2008
For ages now, I get a noise that starts up and then seems to go after a short time. I always thought it was the rad fan, but I checked and they werent moving when it was making the noise.
Reading on here, I think it may be the secondary water pump.

It's coming from the very front right corner of the car/engine bay and sounds like a fan is dying or something. It only comes on now and then and doesnt last long - a loud whirring noise.

Can anyone confirm that this is the 2ndary water pump, or something else? Also - can I get a part number :)

Cheers,
Bob

just changed mine on the leon, it is the secondary water pump and they should come on EVERY time you turn off the car, even if it's been running for only 30 seconds. If it's intermittant it could be clogged, you can open them and clean them but certain aspects are very fiddly and ever though it's a fairly simple job it can take a while, if after cleaning it it still doesn't always work you need a new one and there about £75 :)

Danjw

Got the exact same problem, just havent had the time to take it off yet. Bit of a pain but will try and get around to doing it on the weekend hopefully!!

bobak

Opinionated non-mechanic
May 15, 2008
ok i went down to SEAT and the guy came and had a look. Seems that a bolt had come undone, that holds some cables/piping together to stop them knocking around. The nut had gone from the back and the bolt had been banging the tensioner for the auxilliary belt... so he put a new nut on. Done. Woo.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.