Seen Leon FR & Cupra at the Motorshow for the first time, my thoughts

sw1

I just got back from the motorshow, I was really keen to see the FR and Cupra.

Outside I think they looked really nice, the 18"s really help finish them off. Only odd thing is the odd little bit of window they have in the front door, why couldn't they just create one big window. The build felt quality and I like the way the back doors opened. Seat's on the FR were okay, Cupra seats were a lot better.

My previous motor was a MK V Golf GTi, I was shocked by the interior on the Leon :-o , I know it's cheaper then the golf but still that centre console and other bit's were nasty.

Another guy came and sat in the passenger seat when I was in the drivers seat and he was also considering buying one until he saw the interior.

I'm currently driving a temp 03 Clio 172 due to selling up my last car to put towards a new house, even that has better interior and that is saying something considering A) It's a 6 years old design B) It's a Renault Clio.

IMO is destroys what could have been an awesome car.

This is just my opinion guys, maybe I was expecting too much due to owning some quite nice motors previoulsy(prehouse + other half ;o) )

I really hope that anyone who orders either the FR & Cupra really really enjoys it, the outside looks really nice. I just spend 2 hours a day commuting and I would find that interior really depressing.

I saw a red Honda Civic EX with 18"'s, if you are looking for an alternative and you are at the Motorshow check it out, It's really is cool plus has a night rider syle dashboard.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
sw1 said:
Only odd thing is the odd little bit of window they have in the front door, why couldn't they just create one big window.

It wouldnt be able to wind down as there is not much door below that.

GAmbrose

May 5, 2002
Essex
Visit site
I agree with you 100%, the interior is shocking and I thought it was actually a step back from my Cupra R, which doesn't have the best interior in the world either (Old A3 dashboard though...)

I was quite dissapointed by it, the seats were really nice but the rest of the interior was bad.

I was expecting more from a 237 BHP 2.0T engine as well if I am honest.

Focus ST-3 was a much nicer car to be in.

Gary A

sw1

Yep, I think I would rather spend the extra and get an all round package, nice looker and nice interior.

The Cupra is GTi money, if you put the 18" Monza's on the GTi it looks the better car IMO plus the interior is 10 times better.

Also 240bhp is pointless in a froont wheel drive car IMO, you won't be able to put all that power down from a standstill, the MK V GTi I had used to spin like mad in the wet although it was an awesome drivers car.

Hope I'm proved wrong, the astra apparently suffers from it too.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
sw1 said:
Also 240bhp is pointless in a froont wheel drive car IMO, you won't be able to put all that power down from a standstill, the MK V GTi I had used to spin like mad in the wet although it was an awesome drivers car.

240+ is fine, you just need to get used to it. Its not all about standing starts.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Right went to the Motor show yesterday and of course I observed the new Cupra very closely. All I can say is...I do like it but it’s a little to similar to the FR.

The interior is good and I'd say better than the Focus ST and the VXR in terms of quality. Exterior.. I like it but again it didn’t have the wow factor I was expecting from the top of the range model. They really should of made it a lot more distinctive.

Anyway I am sure you will get a good idea of what the new Cupra is about anyway.

The actual star of the show is the Mazda 3 MPS. It really is leagues ahead of the VXR, Leon and the Focus ST (I know I was shocked as I thought it would be a focus in disguise). Everything is a grade above in terms of quality, plastics, leather, seats, doors...everything is better. Doors are solid, leather is very well put together, dash is solid...I just was amazed that I am very tempted to trade in the Leon and change (I know I don’t want to leave seat )

nej

I saw it yesterday, and the outside was good, very nice indeed.

But the interior... urgh! The console is just a big lump of grey where somebody forgot to actually do some designing. Not nice at all.

dangel

Nuclear Banana Boy
DanGB said:
240+ is fine, you just need to get used to it. Its not all about standing starts.

Agreed (have that now) - I don't do traffic light racing and so it never bothers me. On the move it's not an issue as long as it's progressive rather than 'all at once' (aka subaru/vxr style) which is just down to the mapping and the type of turbo used. Plenty of folks with LCR running much more anyway.

CupraJay

20v T - Its where its at!
Jan 17, 2006
South Wales
240bhp is fine from a standing start also...after all...its all about how hard u press your right foot...

People can say what they like bout the astra vxr, iv covered alot of miles in one and been around one constantly and its fantastic.

As for the new cupra...Its rubbish...really boring and understated. Interor looks cheap...and the power isnt exactly mind-blowing.

A TFSI is a much better buy...for the 20k asking price, u could have a TFSI with the optional bodykit and wheels and 260bhp from a remap. Job done.

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
A TFSI is a much better buy...for the 20k asking price, u could have a TFSI with the optional bodykit and wheels and 260bhp from a remap. Job done.

here here...:whistle:

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Jay GT said:

And the rest ;)

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Saw both the Cupras at the show yesterday (yellow and aubergine colour). Looked 'alright' but think they have missed a trick.

The interior doesnt look good standard. I have the aluminium trim inserts and the armrest in mine and these little changes make a world of difference.

Best thing i heard said about it when i as there was 'nice colour' :)

Obviously fantastic engine and the wheels look pretty good - but IMHO i think my Black Magic TFSI on 18" looks just as good - well maybe not quite but i dont think i'll be changing it for a Cupra, as long as i can avoid driving it of course ;)

Rob

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
Not much difference visually between the normal leon Sport and the FR/Cupra when in Black I think. lighter colours show up the main differences like the front black bits.

andih98uk

I reckon it won't be long before Seat Facelift the new FR & Cupra, IMO the old style Cupra's with the more blocky wing mirrors look really dated now compared to the ones with the bodykit on and i think they'll do the same with the new one. It's just not aggressive enough and i think they'll realise this when they go on sale and get disappointing figures...

sjtscott

Now with added Revo! :-)
Apr 15, 2003
London UK
Visit site
Had a look last night at the new Cupra.

Oh dear that interior is not good at all! I did like the instruments and backlighting but that was it.. that centre console is a design nightmare.

I still don't like the exterior design of the car either. Sadly not going to grow on me either.. I didn't like the new leon design from the pics in the flesh nothing has changed. I much prefer the Golf mk5 gti and audi a3 designs. The audi interior (which I've seen first hand from a mates) is in another league!

I'll keep mine I think for now.. still don't know what I might replace it with.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
You can't see the dynamic line on black cars so easily - you really need normal light / top light and a paler car

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.