Seized rear calipers

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
yeah what is it there doing? stuck on?, mine was well sticky to say the least so i stripped mine down. got the piston out, cleaned up with fine sandpaper, stuck in new seals (got a new set if interested) rebuilt and were much better

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I might be wrong, but VAG are particularly keen on wind in calipers on the back of their cars, they cannot simply be pushed in? Is that why you think they're seized?

ather`s

EXEO Sport & mk2 IBIZA
Sep 7, 2008
mansfield, notts
as you are pushing it in, screw it in (clock wise) at the same time! you can do it by hand but its obviously alot easier if you have got the correct tool.

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
Cheers guys

Well as you all probably know it's been sat for quite a while but I'd had it in a garage on a level surface so knowing VAG cars are prone kept the handbrake off, but due to reversing my girlfriends car into a lampost (in an empty carpark may I add:redface:) smashing out the back window I've had to park it on the drive so needed the handbrake on, tried to move it last night and let the handbrake off and it didn't move (drive is quite steep). it also takes a fair few rev's to get it moving so this gives me the idea they are seized.

Knew they'd probably need a rebuild, is there a guide anywhere??

Crezz those seals are sold, pm me what you want and I'll Paypal it over.

woody1986

mad as a box of frogs
Oct 21, 2008
Derbyshire
If they are stuck on try reversing first to free them, i had to do this before same thing parked on a steep hill with handbrake on and left for a while, reversed the car and they freed off!!

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
If they are stuck on try reversing first to free them, i had to do this before same thing parked on a steep hill with handbrake on and left for a while, reversed the car and they freed off!!

As the saying goes if in doubt then give it a clout, will give it a blast.

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
Right embarking on rebuilding the rear calipers and bleeding the system whilst I'm at it.
Never done either before so just wondered if anyone had any tips/warning/list of tools thatwould make my life easier?

Cheers in advance

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
right dude, did you get them?

as for tools, have you started taking them off? the rear calipers that is? i used a brake line spanner if you ever seen one of them, makes it alot easier to take hoses off without rounding the nuts ect....

big par of pliers/grips to turn the piston back in.... wire brush to clean up hand brake mech......soak them rubber seals in the juice provided...cant remember if i had a sacht of rubber grease in there or not? fine sand paper, clean up the piston...as for bleeding, im sure you know how to, but start with caliper furthest from the reservoir

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members