Service cost

Tell

Staff member
No that was a quote off a previous page which I thought was the latest thing posted, Loadswine. Couldn't delete it after typing.... no mine comes up in December and that will be 12 months, so I am musing over where to take it. Not kean on the dealer in MK, think they are expensive and unfriendly but willing to take anybody elses views on that one.

nimay

Aug 26, 2004
Tell said:
Not kean on the dealer in MK, think they are expensive and unfriendly but willing to take anybody elses views on that one.

I know what you mean Tell about unfriendly but they are not as expensive as Watford. I got them to price match MK which saved £55

Tell

Staff member
Well I might put up with their glumless if it saves £s, but they charged me £65 to fit the stainsteel tail piece and the cost of it was £72 or something [determined to get it back], so everything seems hiked up a bit to me. We'll see come December when I do a price check. Skoda in Walthamstow ;) v MK Seat v Seat on the N Circular v Seat up round Waltham Cross. All info welcome.

Arciphel

any irish altea owners on here in the dublin area, i need to bring mine for it's first service soon and was wondering which dealers carry out the best service?

carterc_ae

Tell,

Have you thought of trying Pilling Skoda at Westcroft, Milton Keynes. Our very own Techie (search for him in the members list) is an ex SEAT technician working there at the moment. He quoted me approx £150 for a 2nd annual service on the Alhambra TDI130, and of course they will use genuine VAG parts / recommended fluids.

Here is his reply to another thread listed under Servicing & maintenance / Servicing at normal garages:

techie said:
as long as...

The garage is VAT reg'd
The parts used are made in the EU (all parts in EU made to the same standards)
The service is carried out to SEAT's service guidelines (inc things like fault code checks)

I'm seriously considering this, providing SEAT (or rather my friendly supplying dealer, who unfortunately is over 80 miles away) will give me written confirmation that this is acceptable and will not invalidate the warranty.

Chris

Mankind

Hobin of Preston are very cheap, cost me £118 for 10k service thats with 10% discount

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Most seat garages wanted to charge me £180 for a 10k service on my Leon, so I booked it into a Skoda garage for £128 - Bargain !!

Try ringing a few local Skoda dealers :)

Tell

Staff member
For info I'm getting my 10,000 at 12 months Altea done, which will be 10,000 either way, by Seat's MK dealer at £130 including VAT. I can read a newspaper whilst it's being done, I doubt that a Skoda dealer would have been cheaper and I do have some spare time in MK then. I'm having them put their diagnostics on over the three, no starts in the year, but I'm not pushing for a software download. Perhaps best to leave things alone that work, but see what they get off their diagnostics.

Arciphel

Irish service

Got my Altea 1.6S it's first 15,000 km service this week at Finglas Motors in Dublin.

Cost was €175 (which is only about £130 sterling).

This didn't include changing the pollen filter which would cost, I am told, another €22 (about £14) on top of this.

Tell

Staff member
loadswine said:
Let me guess Tell,..... I'd say you went to a Skoda dealer then. If I'd just gone for a 10k instead of the 12 month I could have had that done for £115 at a Seat dealer. Most did not offer the 2 options though. Realy am confused about the required service intervals . I wonder if there are any Seat dealer experts out there who could explain this for me. :shrug:

Ha.

I'm told by the Seat dealer it's going to cost £130 and I told them it was annual. Get up early and they come out of the workshop and say, it's needs an annual and not 10,000 which will cost £200.

Price inflation. Seat needs to come clean on this one as to how the pricing system works.

Say I got it done at 11 months for 10,000 miles what happens with the annual check ?. Do they say at 20,000 miles at say 18 months, oh you need it ?.

Or is this all sharp practise ?.

greeny

Jul 23, 2001
Hants
Visit site
Tell said:
Ha.

I'm told by the Seat dealer it's going to cost £130 and I told them it was annual. Get up early and they come out of the workshop and say, it's needs an annual and not 10,000 which will cost £200.

Price inflation. Seat needs to come clean on this one as to how the pricing system works.

Say I got it done at 11 months for 10,000 miles what happens with the annual check ?. Do they say at 20,000 miles at say 18 months, oh you need it ?.

Or is this all sharp practise ?.

They have got to be taking the p*ss with that quote.

The annual 10k service should be no more than £160 and for high milers like me the 10k check and oil change should be £95.

My 20k service was £220 ..... I hate to think what they will fleece you for that!!!

When I rang round the surrey hants area I found that using a Skoda garage was no cheaper than the Seat dealers .... so for less hassle I use my local seat dealer.

If Seat dealer think they can start charging VW Audi prices for servicing they need to get some radically better dealers than the ramshackle bunch we have at the moment

Tell

Staff member
I was suitably annoyed that a quoted price of £130 after I said annual service was mapped into a 10,000 service and what I wanted was "an annual" at £200, when I've got up early to be there sat around for 60 minutes without anything happening. MK we are talking. Perhaps I should ask for quotes in writing if they think they can change a verbal agreement if it suites them.

I do admit that when you read the service manual a few additional things are listed for checking, not replacing. They charged me to fill up the screen wash, funny it didn't need it since I brimmed it the day before. I reckon this could be a standard dodge that some garages do of bluring the the mileage services with the annual services and giving you a price on an annual which is their mileage price and then hiking it. Others reported similar on this thread as I recall.

loadswine

loadswine
I think Seat need to sort this one out asap. There are two big things that really hack me off as an owner:
1. Unreliablity and
2. Taking the car in for its services, as it always seems something's waiting around the corner just waiting to trip you up. I can't be the only one to feel a conspiracy between manufacturer and dealers to fleece us. I think Tell might subscribe to this point of view too!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members