service due in 400 miles or 431 days

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
Had a long drive today (car is brilliant in 4" of snow by the way!!) which added about 300miles to the clock. Its now at 8944miles.

Its due for its 1st service in March some time.

But when i started it to go to the shop it told me "Service due in 400 miles or 431 days"

So, the computer says it needs serviced at 9300 miles or in 14 months time!?

I looked again more closely when i next started it not believing it the 1st time, thought maybe it was supposed to be 43.1 days but there was no decimal point!

The 9300 miles seams a bit short (10k to 12k surely more normal) and the 14 months time is a bit far away, whats the idea behind this?
Anybody else had such an odd combination of numbers?

Stuart

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
its the way km's are worked out by miles.... its slightly off

dont know about the 14months. mine had 8200 on now so that will be apprearing shortly for me also!

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I never got to the bottom of this one on mine.

As said it actually works it out in km but displays in miles of the U.K market.

Mine actually came on at exactly 10,000 miles and said something like 500 miles or 15 days to the service.

15 days took it to just over a year old (by a few days) and 10,500 is about the accepted tolerance before it may affect your warrenty regarding meeting service intervals.

SEAT did hint to me that it actually variable when it alerts you as they said due to mine have the wrong oil put in at the 10K service it would need servicing again sooner if oil wasn't changed.

Best way is to take it in at 10K or 12 months and ignore the indicator.

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
even better, just reset the indicator lol switch the ignition on while twisting the trip reset knob clockwise

Id have thought there would be more to it than that!

I didnt knoe the trip reset twisted, does it have any usefull function normally?

The message doesnt bother me as its not on all the time, cant fathom where it gets 431 (or 430 today) days from.

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Id have thought there would be more to it than that!

I didnt knoe the trip reset twisted, does it have any usefull function normally?

The message doesnt bother me as its not on all the time, cant fathom where it gets 431 (or 430 today) days from.

dont think i have ever used it for anything else. all the settings for the clock etc were done via the rocker switch for the mfd.
my service reminder was as erratic as yours lol

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
I thought the service indicator takes into consideration running time & number of starts as well as the mileage? When I first had my LCR I was doing a lot of long distance (motorway) driving and the service indicator came on at about 9800 miles / 5 months (10k / 12 month interval). Then when I started doing shorter, more frequent trips, the service indicator came on at about 19200 miles / 11 months. If it was calculated on mileage alone, everyone's service indicator would flash up at the same mileage (which it doesn't), and I should have had another 600 miles before the indicator flashed for the second service :shrug:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.