Service Intervals

Jamieoc1

Hi guys,

Picked my new Leon 1.4 TSi up on Friday and have been looking at when it says it needs a service on the display and is coming up as needing an oil change after 10,000 miles. I was under the impression that all Leons left the factory set up for long life servicing and looking at the codes in the book it has QG1 which seems to be for extended servicing. However the manual only refers to QI1, 2 etc.

Do other people's say the same or has mine be setup wrong? I am a little concerned as the dealer I bought the car from set my wife's Ibiza up on fixed rather than long life when she got hers even though it had left the factory set up for long life. Not sure I trust the dealer in this case at all.

Cheers

Jamie

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Mine is setup for long life servicing so not due for another 2 years. My dealer said they set it up that way during the PDI as he knew I do very low mileage.

Jamieoc1

You see I do quite a lot of mileage and it's a pain having to go in every 10,000 miles so have always preferred long life as I had that on my Exeo. It sounds to me like the dealer has put it on fixed rather than long life in order to get more money out of me which I am not at all impressed with!!

roger7248

Sep 28, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
Mine is setup for long life servicing so not due for another 2 years. My dealer said they set it up that way during the PDI as he knew I do very low mileage.

Mine was set up as long life as well, but when I bought the service plan they changed it to 10,000m/1 year. Not that I'm cynical, but I wonder if they are profiteering :(

Anybody who hasn't got it showing needs to go back to the dealer to set it. You might even ask what else they missed off on the PDI check sheet.

Jun 15, 2013
Normally if you are a high mileage user it should be set to variable servicing which gives about 20,000 miles between services depending on you actual journey lengths etc. If you do less than 10,000 miles a year it should be set to the fixed 10,000 mile/1 year service intervals.

Where DeanC has read its 6,000 miles I have no idea. Back in the 80's VW group cars had 10,000 mule intervals when most other makes were 6,000 miles.

Was not given the option with mine since it was a stock car and it came factory filled with oil for the 10,000 mile schedule.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Im being a birk. 10k. 6k was China. Mine had no tick in the service option boxes and could not find a PR number so gave the dealers a call and was tild the 184 is on 10k / 1 year

Max Damage

Jun 7, 2013
I told em Hold em
My FR184 is currently set up from the dealer at 20k miles, with no setting against the oil change. May call the dealer to clarify the oil change one as the book says 10k

Jamieoc1

Ok, spoke to Seat Customer Care this morning who have confirmed to me that all Seats with the exception of the Mii leave the factory with oil and settings for long life servicing. The maintenance handbook states the PR codes of QI1, 2, 3, etc. when it comes to which servicing your car should be on but none of those were on the label for my car. QG1 was which is down as service interval prolongation when you out the code into the site mentioned on another thread. According the Seat if a car is changed from long life to fixed servicing it should be noted on their system. There was no note down for my car and even the book has had the fixed mileage box ticked rather than long life.

Needless to say I now have my car booked back in to the dealer on Friday to have this re-set as I am not going to pay for servicing every 10k miles when it is unnecessary. By the sounds of things this is fairly common practice from dealers. I guess that they hope that no-one notices that the servicing is coming up more regularly than it should and that they can get more money out of people.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Normally if you are a high mileage user it should be set to variable servicing which gives about 20,000 miles between services depending on you actual journey lengths etc. If you do less than 10,000 miles a year it should be set to the fixed 10,000 mile/1 year service intervals.

I agree with Skidpan

It is interchangeable by the dealer and will be recorded on the system for your vehicle. I have seen a record of the changes at a VW dealership on screen. The owner kept changing their mind.

Take care too that you use the correct oil. The longer service intervals demand a higher specification oil which, naturally, comes at a higher price. See p213 of the manual.

I went with 10,000 intervals or 1 year as I do 5,000 or so a year. Can't leave servicing for 4 years without an oil change and letting the "experts" look over your motor now can we. Mitigate the costs with a servicing package. In my case £11.49 pm for 4 years covers all servicing including brake fluid.

Now cambelts are another matter. As the service book stays silent on the matter of changing them and they and the rollers can destroy an engine if they fail, I rang SEAT CS and this is what they said:

Belt checked @ 60,000 and changed if necessary. If not changed then checked again every 20,000 until 120,000 when it MUST be changed. See the catch? The checking is probably not much less than the price of changing the belt etc. So you can reckon on an extra bill at around 60,000. Nice one:cry:

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
I went with 10,000 intervals or 1 year as I do 5,000 or so a year. Can't leave servicing for 4 years without an oil change :

You wouldn't leave it 4 years - on the extended service it is 20k OR 2 years.

Incidentally when I picked up mine last week I was told I was on the extended plan but I should bring it back for a basic check after 1 year which would be free of charge.

Jun 15, 2013
You would never do 4 years between services even if you were on the variable service schedule. The maximum time interval is 2 years and the dash would alert you it was time for a service even if you had only done, for example, 5000 miles in that 2 year period.

There is very little, if any, cost saving being on the variable service interval, the oil used is far more expensive for starters. The main benefit is for high mileage users because they loose their cars less often for a service.

With regards to the cam belt I allowed for a new belt at 4 years when I bought the car thus no tears or surprises.

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
You would never do 4 years between services even if you were on the variable service schedule. The maximum time interval is 2 years and the dash would alert you it was time for a service even if you had only done, for example, 5000 miles in that 2 year period.

There is very little, if any, cost saving being on the variable service interval, the oil used is far more expensive for starters. The main benefit is for high mileage users because they loose their cars less often for a service.

With regards to the cam belt I allowed for a new belt at 4 years when I bought the car thus no tears or surprises.

Is it the same as the one year/2 year servicing seat have all over their site? Because if it is then a 2 year/20k is £189 and the 1 year/10k £169.

For me (I do about 25k) its still better to only have to do once a year, even if its twice the price.

Jamieoc1

I completely agree that the more miles you do the more useful it is. I do about 25k miles a year and with my exeo only losing the car once a year or so is way more useful to me. With my previous leon every 10k miles meant I lost the car almost every 3 months as I was doing more mileage then. I have found long life servicing to actually work out cheaper in the long run.

I specifically asked the dealer three times when I picked it up and was told it should be on longlife. I am more annoyed at the dealers apparent underhanded approach and the fact that I was not consulted about what would be best for me. Instead it seems it is what will be best for them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Jun 15, 2013
Is it the same as the one year/2 year servicing seat have all over their site? Because if it is then a 2 year/20k is £189 and the 1 year/10k £169.

For me (I do about 25k) its still better to only have to do once a year, even if its twice the price.

I researched all this before buying, too late after, don't like surprises. The prices quoted on the web site are for the fixed 1 year servicing schedule. The 3rd year is £129, total for 3 years is £487.

I am paying £10.91 a month for 34 months for the first 3 services. That is £371, a saving of over £100 plus I know the price will not increase. That is the official Seat service plan and the work can be carried out by any Seat dealer. Bargain.

Jamieoc1

I also got a two year service plan and again specifically asked how that would work with long life and was told it would be two services in that case rather than two years. Beginning to think that could be a lie as well

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
My car is on long life servicing.

For starters, you don't gain anything in SEATs '2 year £189 service' over the standard £129. The actual parts changed are exactly the same. So don't pay an extra £60 for nothing.

Secondly, the parts changed on long life and standard servicing are the same, as is the price. So your servicing costs are halved. The oil is EXACTLY the same on long life.

I just had my second service and because my local dealer is nice they pointed this out to me, and even showed me their system which shows the parts changed, and insisted I saved the extra money.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members