service/warranty joke

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Just had a call off my (seat) dealer. 1st years service 188 quid! I said "for an oil change??!!" They said not just an oil change, but a diagnostics check fault code check, road test drive (yea "test) basically a mini mot. So i asked if my local garage could do all this would it have to be logged/recorded he said yes because if any part fails that should have been checked isnt, warranty is VOID! I asked them what exactly is checked they said they cant tell me!!:censored:

Obviously any part can be checked at any time then its staight back to dealer time so why all the bullsh!t?

Etc they check steering, or suspension, you dont take it to them when its supposed to be checked and the part fails then what happens?

While writing this they foned me back offering about 145!

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Correction on 145. Just foned them up asking can i use my privalige card 20% off. Apparantly i can so abit cheaper now. But i heard him say the word different, when i asked him what he meant, he said the 2 differnt service prices he gave me are different services alltogether. One taking 1.4 hours the other 0.9 hours. As the previous poster said, "interim service" im guessing the 0.9 hour one is this. But retains warranty??

Does anybody know what exactly the interim service is, what it checks etc? And how can my local garage proove its been done? Why doesnt it say this in the logbook (or does it have i missed it)

Richard Askew

I don't know what you are complaining about. When I first got my Land Rover Discovery(04 plate V8 auto) the main dealer tried to charge me nearly £800 for a service. Needless to say I declined politely! It has never been serviced at a main dealer but at a local independent who charges me about £250. It went back to the dealer on a number of occasions for warranty work who at first were a little reluctant to do the work as I didnt have a Land Rover history. However when I made them aware of a EU Regulation which basically says that if it has been serviced to Manufacturers spec. then the warranty is valid, they did the work no problem(although it took them 4 goes to get it right) I can't remember the exact regulation as I havent been back for a year but I'm due for service at the beginning of next month and will try and remember to write down the info for you and I will post it here.
Richard

paulfs

Nov 10, 2009
New Forest, HANTS
My dealer is flogging the "new" SEAT Fixed Price Servicing - minor service for me today is £129 all-in - not brilliant, but not bad either, plus a SEAT Stamp in the book :)
I think a major service is fixed at £229, not sure will check later.

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Well thats what you get for getting a V8! And a land rover!
I know there are laws now preventing dealers from keeping you from going anywhere else, but my point is the "mini mot" type of inspection (sort of preventative maintenance) that needs to be done at servicing apparantly to guarentee your warranty on the parts they inspect. Also im guessing the parts that could cause more damage to other parts sort of thing.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
They can't void your warranty anyway. As long as your car is serviced within the manufactures recommendations and at a vat registered garage.
As above service schedules are available in your service book and garages will have access via auto data or similar.
Dealers just try scare tactics to win the business.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=54.995288,-3.256056
Sent from my iPhone

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
They can't void your warranty anyway. As long as your car is serviced within the manufactures recommendations and at a vat registered garage.
As above service schedules are available in your service book and garages will have access via auto data or similar.
Dealers just try scare tactics to win the business.

Yea it nearly worked too!! But p1ss!ng me off in the process

Richard Askew

If I didnt have a Land Rover I wouldnt get out in the winter.

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
So do dealers do this alot then i wouldnt know my first new car and first service in it.

Dont want them to do it. All i have to do is pay for parts and my very good mechanic friend wiil fit them and clear my service indicator for a tenner. WINNING!

Mite get him to have a twiddle on vagcom while hes at it muhahaha

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
If I didnt have a Land Rover I wouldnt get out in the winter.

Just looked at your location bud lol.

IMAG0201.jpg

Iv got one of these babys. Fastest machine on snow/ice :p

Richard Askew

Nice picture. I remember in a previous life towing one of these with a 90 Land Rover when it got stuck in the snow.

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
in my previous Ford owning days, Ford do something similar.

If its anything akin to the Ford 'check' its an oil and filter(s) change and a 'visual health check', which involves them inspecting the vehicle to make sure there is nothing untoward or prematurely worn etc.

if there is anything spotted then they usually ring you to tell you if anything is spotted and if its covered by warranty or not. you will usually be provided with a copy of the checklist to show what has been done.

if i was you i'd let them do it and while its in see if they can do the 'recall' Free of charge work (such as the leaking water into the bonnet via the scuttle panel fix http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=301622&highlight=scuttle) while its in.....

Mine bonnet has the leak problem as found out over the winter and need to go in for the 'fix'

Last edited:

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Vauxhall do a check also, to keep the 100000 mile warranty. I dont know much about that recall, is it to do with that plastic panel on the bonnet?. What does annoy me is when you lift the bonnet after its been raining, it drips all over the engine!

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Jay,

yeah, water leakes through the black scuttle panel on the bonnet, dripping water onto the engine and making the under bonnet sound proofing wet/mouldy.

there is a free of charge fix by the SEAT dealers, pop your bonnet up and if it looks like your soundproofing is sagging/damp, then it needs the fix

if its got to go in for a check, they may as well fix it while the bonnet is up

quote 'Technical Product Information (TPI) No 2025865' at them

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.