Servicing Costs

Penfold

May 18, 2007
Hello everyone,

I have had my 2.0TDI Sport for about 16 months, and normally start to look and change after about 18 months. However, on this occasion, I am really reluctant as I love my Altea. It ticks all the boxes, practical for the family, economical, and, when the need arrives, can leave a lot of cars in a cloud of diesel smoke wondering what the hell is under the bonnet.

So, I am after some information. What have you all been charged for servicing at the standard intervals. So far I have had a 10,000 and 20,000 service, costing £150 & £265 respectively. Just wondering what it might cost me in the future, especially the 40,000/4year service. Had my wifes ibiza 4 year service done recently and it was a shock at £285 + cam belt replacement, total just over £400.

Any help would be appreciated.

Penfold

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
30k miles service should be the same as 10k miles but at 2 years you need a brake fluid change which could be anywhere from £30 - £80. 40k miles service should be similar to 20k miles, maybe some extra stuff in there aswell. Cambelt will be due at 80k miles or 4 years whichever comes soonest. Cost for that would be similar to the Ibiza maybe, and a bit more for good measure.

DAN M

Oct 15, 2002
Visit site
I see David Cook are advertising £99 on servicing for all SEAT's (probably not 20k, 40k service). I hope this is still an offer in May, when my Altea needs its first service.

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
Go to an independent garage which is VAT registered and users OE parts. Should bring the costs of servicing down nicely. For instance a 10k service at my indy is £85 all in and around £150 for a major service

Merino

Just had the first 10K service on our 2.0 TDI SE Altea at IMG Warrington - that was £148 including the cost of screenwash/sump plug etc. Wish they'd properly explained the terms of use of the courtesy car though - put £10 of unleaded in as it was running on fumes when we got it and ended up giving it back with quarter of a tank. Would they knock it off the bill though - would they b***ery! :rolleyes:

Apart from that though good service there - the car was ready when they said it would be and we did get to try out a leon with the ickle 1.6 engine for a bit.

alex1

I would just like to give a big thumbs up for LC Charles in Crewe, Cheshire.

I have just had my 1.9 TDi serviced there, and they price matched the DC Cook price of £99. This was the cars first service (10K) and I did pre book. As part of the service I asked if I could wait as the dealership is a bit of a distance from my home They asked if I could be there at a certain time and said it would take 1.5 hrs.

I also asked them not to wash the car as I am a bit of a detailing fanatic and didn't want any swirls introducing to the car.

Everything was spot on. I dropped the car at the allocated time, took some work with me, which I did in reception whilst having free tea and coffee. The car was finished exactly on time and delivered back to me spot on. Price paid was exactly as agreed - £99 which included all parts - oil, filter, sump plug, screenwash and any software updates and recall work (apparently there is a recall on possible wiring harness chaffing in the steering column.) They had also left coutesy fluids (1 ltr oil and 1 ltr screen wash) in the boot.

So overall extremely pleased with the service provided and an extremely professional service it was to. Nice to see for a change, especially following a brand swap from Ford, where the service arangements were appalling!

Regards
Al

ceepan

I would just like to give a big thumbs up for LC Charles in Crewe, Cheshire.

I have just had my 1.9 TDi serviced there, and they price matched the DC Cook price of £99. This was the cars first service (10K) and I did pre book. As part of the service I asked if I could wait as the dealership is a bit of a distance from my home They asked if I could be there at a certain time and said it would take 1.5 hrs.

I also asked them not to wash the car as I am a bit of a detailing fanatic and didn't want any swirls introducing to the car.

Everything was spot on. I dropped the car at the allocated time, took some work with me, which I did in reception whilst having free tea and coffee. The car was finished exactly on time and delivered back to me spot on. Price paid was exactly as agreed - £99 which included all parts - oil, filter, sump plug, screenwash and any software updates and recall work (apparently there is a recall on possible wiring harness chaffing in the steering column.) They had also left coutesy fluids (1 ltr oil and 1 ltr screen wash) in the boot.

So overall extremely pleased with the service provided and an extremely professional service it was to. Nice to see for a change, especially following a brand swap from Ford, where the service arangements were appalling!

Regards
Al

Are all 1.9TDis going to be recalled for the wiring harness chaffing?

alex1

To be honest I didn't know anything about the recall until I went in for the service. I hadn't had any separate notification. I can only assume it is advisory.

I have had similar before with ford when we had a focus. When the main dealer did a service on that, they did an "advisory software update."

I haven't got any specific recall notice confirming it was done on the Altea, but I did sign a recall document at the dealers authorising the work, and it did list the Altea and Toledo as requiring the work.

Probably worth giving your dealer a call and asking them about it.

Al

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Just got this quote for 40k service.

the cost of a 40k service is £245.00 inc vat
parts cost £50.85
oil cost £32.26
labour cost£125.40
vat £36.49

this does not include the recommended brake fluid change this has a charge of £60.00

Seems very high! Although brake fluid change done at 30k so that dont need doing.

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
Just got this quote for 40k service.

the cost of a 40k service is £245.00 inc vat
parts cost £50.85
oil cost £32.26
labour cost£125.40
vat £36.49

this does not include the recommended brake fluid change this has a charge of £60.00

Seems very high! Although brake fluid change done at 30k so that dont need doing.

Hi Googies, what's included in the 'parts' costs ??

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
I don't know Phil, i am trying to find what needs done, need to go get the service book and look it up. fuel filter, pollen filter and oil i would imagine. Oil i have for £25 myself, Millers.

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
I dare say you are still in warranty ?, mine was out of warranty last Sept., so this time round i thought i'd have a go myself:
Oil - £18.95
Air filter £12.70
Oil Filter (element) £5.40
probably took me 1hr taking it very very steady.
If i'm reading my service book correctly i think the fuel filter is good for 60k (2.0tdi, i need to re-read it to make sure), i priced one up at about £25 but i believe you can tinterweb 'em for about £15.
I think a pollen filter was £10 or £11 but i decided to do that later.

You can check tyres, lights, exhaust, brakes etc etc all yourself for free !!

All in, it makes the garage prices look incredible.

I've previously had the car fully dealer serviced but now i'm reasonable sure i'll only take it if there's something i can't do myself.

Not worried about a stamp in the book (or warranty obviously), just sign it off myself and keep receipts.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
I'm in warranty until November. But that was Agnew in Belfast, notoriously expensive for servicing. Emailed around six garages for quotes and only one replied so far!

Check this place out: http://www.vwspares.co.uk/altea_filters.php

all filters delivered = £31!

Edit: Asked for parts included, Fuel, oil, air, pollen filters and sump plug. RIP OFF!

Last edited:

eugene walsh

Hello if you are looking for vag car repairs in belfast can help we have all up to date diagnostic equipment inc vag com check out www.walshmotors.co.uk we also are a vtune installer and registered on the good garage scheme thanks
eug

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Hi, i am the person who mailed you last week about a remap. Couldnt reply, wouldnt send. Can the map have the torque tweeked on it? How much you reckon for a 40k service then? you can email me if you you prefer, found at my user profile, click on username.

eugene walsh

hello when we service a car we change oil pd only oil oil filter fuel filter air filter check brakes front and rear give car a full check over and report that you can keep with your service book that we stamp. free diagnostic check for £105 also forte engine flush and fuel treatment if you want the remap and the service i can give you a bit of discount thanks eug

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
hello when we service a car we change oil pd only oil oil filter fuel filter air filter check brakes front and rear give car a full check over and report that you can keep with your service book that we stamp. free diagnostic check for £105 also forte engine flush and fuel treatment if you want the remap and the service i can give you a bit of discount thanks eug

it's £95 over here for just an oil change and v basic check over.

This sounds decent googies, nice one Eug

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Yeah, does sound good! No engine flush though! Am couple thousand mile of a service, just getting a heads up, but by that time i will be ready for a remap too. So Eugene, i WILL be in touch. Welcome to the forum too by the way. Go and make yourself known to admin if you want to do some work as a trader/garage through here, just to avoid p***ing someone off.

What car you drive?