Servicing Query- Longlife to annual servicing

RichardC27

Oct 1, 2016
Cheshire
www.flickr.com
I took my 2016 Leon 1.4 TSi for its first service yesterday. The car has covered just under 19K so the garage did the major 20,000 mile service. However, the garage have reset the service indicator to say an oil service is required in 365 days or 10,000 miles. This is not how the car came out of the factory as it was on longlife servicing. Is this normal or is the dealer trying to get an extra service out of me?

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Mine was on the SEAT longline service interval too and the oil service reminder was on 10400 miles 365 days.... The inspection reminder was on 18750 miles 765 days....

I always use a good long life oil meeting the 504.00/507.00 specs and I personally believe 10000 miles is quite short. But I guess this depends on your driving style.... I.e. Town or motorway....

Anyways I say 'Was' on..... As I changed my intervals to suit my needs and my driving style.. I.e. All motorway driving... Using the OBD11 dongle and software.

My dash now reads 15000 miles/365 for both oil and inspection....

But saying this, I do appreciate that you are intending to keep following and using SEAT recommendations as its still under warranty....

As you're dash milage reads the same as mine did before I changed it I'm guessing it's correct.

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
It depends what you asked for.. It's wrong if you wish to remain on longlife. It should be similar timescale/ mileage for both. Currently yours is set to bring you in for an interim in a year and an inspection in two which is the normal schedule.

Could be an honest mistake, could be to get you to pay every year.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
My 184FR is on a LongLife service, and went in for it's first service at 2 years old last week. The service indicator is still at 2 years or approx 18K miles. I paid £230 for a LongLife service, but was left wondering what I actually got for £230, an oil/filter change and pollen filter by the sounds of it. No fuel filter change, no checking of the brakes. I had to change the fuel filter on my CMax annually due to them blocking up. Maybe VAG fuel filters are better designed!

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
I always use a good long life oil meeting the 504.00/507.00 specs and I personally believe 10000 miles is quite short.

I'm just wondering what you consider good oil as for me 10k on oil is way to long. Dealers use the same oil regardless of intervals..

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I'm just wondering what you consider good oil as for me 10k on oil is way to long. Dealers use the same oil regardless of intervals..
I try and use either castrol edge long life or Mobil 1 Esp.... I'm sure there are equivalents out there but Mobil 1 pops up on Euro Car Parts often with good discounts.. And Castrol I get from Costco....
My last buy was about £25 for 5L of Mobil 1...

Mobil now doing an annual 20 000 mile oil.... Like to try this out...
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why...ce/mobil-1-annual-protection-long-lasting-oil

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
The quantum stuff is oem'd by big brands too. They just changed supplier.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
To the OP, I'm not a Leon MK3 owner/driver, but, it could be that your dealer has spotted that you seem to be running 10K a year, so for you fixed servicing meets your needs better than longlife servicing. Long life servicing is aimed at people that run maybe 18K miles a year - and more importantly, that car is part of a company fleet where big savings over the ownership of that car are made, ie over 3 years 30K fixed servicing means 3 services, with Longlife servicing that get cut back to 1 service - then the car is sold on and the first owner cares not for what the future reliability of that car is. If you only mean to run that car for 3 years 30K, then okay, if keeping it for longer, use fixed servicing to keep the engine a bit healthier.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.