Should I pay the dealer?

Pearlite

My ABS light came on about 2 weeks ago, I went down to the dealer the next day who located the problem to be a faulty sensor. Dealer ordered and fitted an new sensor the next week. However, even though my car is out of warranty back in March 2005, they never ask me to pay for the job. Its not my job to remind them to bill me for the job so I said nothing and thinking how lucky I am to get away with it.

However, I recieved a phone call this morning from the dealer saying that they didnt realise that the car is out of warranty at the time due to my car being an european import (2 yr warranty instead of 3). But my car has over 40k on the clock which will put it out of warranty even for a UK car. Anyway they now want me to pay £113 for the job and said this is a warranty price which supposed to be a lot lower than retail.

Does anyone know where do I stand? Do I have to pay the dealer? Is £113 a fair price? I remeber someone on here had their ABS sensor changed for aroud £85.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Get some other prices mate (from other dealers) then turn round and say your not paying as you wernt told it needed to be paid for, explain that you thought it was covered by Seats Extended warentee (they do it for coil packs etc). Then get onto seat ifthe garage complains. Dont expect to ever go back to that garage again tho!

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
say you sold the car ,

or say you spoke to customer services, and wee advised you were ok on warranty.

Also i believe there is a certain time expected for someone to make a charge for a service, ie if its over a month ago, they can't come back ad ask you to pay if they did not ask for payment at the time.

PS don't expect to go there again if you get a way with it

SHADY-NINJA

Feb 14, 2005
London
www.airconmedic.co.uk
but hey!!!! wait a second
i think they are taking the piss. tell them you might consider legal action. its not your mistake its theirs.
maybe the office of fair trading might strike a lightening bolt and keep them silent for eternity.
but take it up with their head office first

Last edited:

Hicks

Let's nuke 'em from orbit
Nov 26, 2002
Relocated Yorkshireman
Visit site
kawasaki-ninja said:
but hey!!!! wait a second..................,in march the work was done and no mention of paying any bills............., what happened in april may june july august september october and near the end of november and they want you to pay for the job now.
i think they are taking the piss. tell them you might consider legal action. its not your mistake its theirs.
maybe the office of fair trading might strike a lightening bolt and keep them silent for eternity.
but take it up with their head office first

Legally I don't think he's got a leg to stand on. The car is clearly out of warranty. Besides, what's the point in pissing off the dealer? If he ever needs them to fix anything in the future he's not doing himself any favours.

Pearlite

Thanks for the advice guys, I can live with not going there again since I am moving to Derby at the end of next year anyway. I am just not sure what my position is legally. I have signed a paper before hand but thats just to comfim what is being done and that the work is under warranty. So technically, there is no contract established for any non-warranty work, right?

I dont think lapse of time work cause it was only 2 weeks ago.

kawasaki-ninja, my warranty is out last March, but the work has just been carried out 2 weeks ago.

SHADY-NINJA

Feb 14, 2005
London
www.airconmedic.co.uk
oh sorry i'll amend my post.

N.B.
my first car is also an audi a2.
the warrantee expired on the 25th of sept this year and on the 7th of october ignition coil number 2 packed up. i called audi assist and they came out on the double and changed the coil. no questions asked and no letter so far.

i wish you good luck

Last edited:

flashbsd

id have a crack at telling them, "can i pick the car up for a second opinion on the work done?" you might find they will panic and do it as a gesture of goodwill.

orca

Aug 30, 2004
N Kent
www.bdmlr.org.uk
Pay up. everyone moans about Dealers being Stealers and then turn from car enthusiasts to con enthusiasts when it suits them. you cannot have it both ways. Besides i think the billing law is 6 months (rings a bell somewhere) After all, you knew it was out of warranty when you took it in. Don't be so sharp. You'd hate in in others

sicasey

FR Derv Power
Jul 24, 2005
Cheshire
Dude - dont pay them it's their mistake. They wont take it any further due to the costs - just find another dealer and dont go back to them. They are obviously not organised enough to realise your car is out of warranty.

Hicks

Let's nuke 'em from orbit
Nov 26, 2002
Relocated Yorkshireman
Visit site
orca said:
Pay up. everyone moans about Dealers being Stealers and then turn from car enthusiasts to con enthusiasts when it suits them. you cannot have it both ways. Besides i think the billing law is 6 months (rings a bell somewhere) After all, you knew it was out of warranty when you took it in. Don't be so sharp. You'd hate in in others

Well said.

hairyscary

I had the ABS light come on beginning of August, and to fix it they needed to replace the "OSF Speed Sensor £35.63 + VAT". If that's the same sensor you had replaced, they're charging a lot for labour!

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
As far as the law is concerned.

If you had them carry out work on a vehicle that you knew to be out of warranty and led them to believe the car was still under warranty, you could be subject to a civil case for fraud. You have lead them to believe the car was under warranty by signing the work order. Its highly unlikely it would go this far as the costs would be very high for the dealer if they lost. Equally it'd be damn expensive for you if they took you to court and won, probably in the region of £5k+.

I'd just pay up.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.