Show us your water beading...

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
Snap haha check you out with your snobby wax... Yes I know jealously gets you nowhere lol when will you be doing an SCN detailing training course...?

Haha. More money than sense... I also have cheaper waxed which to be fair give a great finish... it’s the durability of this wax that’s impressive, 3 months and still getting good beading and maintenance washes take it back to looking great.

We can rally please the neighbours and have a session round my house... We’re getting a new car soon so I’ll do a step by step in detail and paint correction people are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ChrisJKM

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
we can rally please the neighbours and have a session round my house... We’re getting a new car soon so I’ll do a step by step in detail and paint correction people are interested.
I'm up for a training session lol do you use paint thickness tools etc as I'd love to know how my paint is doing after 8 years...

I like pleasing neighbours haha I please mine daily when reversing out the drive...

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
I'm up for a training session lol do you use paint thickness tools etc as I'd love to know how my paint is doing after 8 years...

I like pleasing neighbours haha I please mine daily when reversing out the drive...

It’s something I don’t actually use at the moment, I’ve been considering it as I do some friends cars and I have wondered about it, the reason I haven’t is it tells you full paint and clear coat thickness and and really you only need to know clear coat thickness so it’s not guarantee of avoiding strike through.

Do you machine polish or hand polish? Also how often do you polish? I do polish twice a year and compound once, the rest is maintenance really so I’m not much off the top layer.

Hand polishing is much easier on the surface but is less efficient in getting ride of swirls or scratches. It’s a trade off.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
It’s something I don’t actually use at the moment, I’ve been considering it as I do some friends cars and I have wondered about it, the reason I haven’t is it tells you full paint and clear coat thickness and and really you only need to know clear coat thickness so it’s not guarantee of avoiding strike through.

Do you machine polish or hand polish? Also how often do you polish? I do polish twice a year and compound once, the rest is maintenance really so I’m not much off the top layer.

Hand polishing is much easier on the surface but is less efficient in getting ride of swirls or scratches. It’s a trade off.

I've personally never machine polished which is why I still have swirls from when I got the car in Jan.

I started off wrong and learning as I go lol I used to strip the car of everything every couple of months then prepped for a hand polish and wax etc after a clay bar... I'm hoping with the collinite I can keep it going for half a year with top ups...

Every days a school day lol

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
Every days a school day lol

Too true... I’ve been detailing my cars for a good number of years now and I’m still finding new ways to do things and different techniques, some things that work better than others.

2 bucket wash was a revelation for keeping swirls down between full strip backs.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Too true... I’ve been detailing my cars for a good number of years now and I’m still finding new ways to do things and different techniques, some things that work better than others.

2 bucket wash was a revelation for keeping swirls down between full strip backs.

Grit guards was a good one for me lol now I look at every nice car and see how they keep their paint and cringe when I see a local guy in his brand new mustang 5.0l go through a wash n scratch...

Let me know if fancy having a nerd chat about cleaning lol I'm sure a few people on here would love to join haha

Reactions: Sharpy

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I look at every nice car and see how they keep their paint and cringe when I see a local guy in his brand new mustang 5.0l go through a wash n scratch...

I was driving home last night and a woman was cleaning her 18 plate Nissan Juke at the side of the road. I had to swerve onto the other side to avoid the murky bucket of water she was just lobbing over the top of it. I assumed she'd cleaned it, then decided to rinse it off by throwing the dirty water back over the top of it!?

We can rally please the neighbours and have a session round my house... We’re getting a new car soon so I’ll do a step by step in detail and paint correction people are interested.

Not that we're all going to pile round unannounced... but where abouts you based?

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
I was driving home last night and a woman was cleaning her 18 plate Nissan Juke at the side of the road. I had to swerve onto the other side to avoid the murky bucket of water she was just lobbing over the top of it. I assumed she'd cleaned it, then decided to rinse it off by throwing the dirty water back over the top of it!?

THE HORROR!!!! I sit in my local coffee shop watching people go through car washes some really nice cars as well, thats bad enough! Using a bucket of dirty water to "rinse" your car off.... i just dont know what to say about that...

Not that we're all going to pile round unannounced... but where abouts you based?

Im up neat York, just outside Pocklington.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
The first time ever I actually like it when it rains haha

IMG_20181014_110033-2320x1305.jpg

Reactions: Sharpy and Legojon

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
has anyone ever taken G1/G5 or somerthing similar to a hand car wash and got them to apply it? would rather they did it but not sure how well these guys work with products like this

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
First job as husband now the wife's car is held under my umbrella of awesome is to get it clean after she followed a mobile farm home... I've never smelt a car like it lol its like every sheep decided it didn't like purple cars haha

Beading this morning was acceptable and hence will be on show for the neighbours to follow suit with their cars.

IMG_20181026_084029-2320x1305.jpg

Reactions: Legojon

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Chilly this morning in Yorkshire :). Think i need more practice with the beads lol
32a1d95aed6d467e201b298fb8407d11.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Yep that looks mildy chilly! that's not bad beading if you consider if it rained you may of lost a few blobs dew to getting too big and doing one off the side of the car...

What polish/wax did you use?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.