Shuddering whilst breaking

LCR280

May 21, 2018
Anyone able to help me identify the problem, Was out in my car and I tried to break and the car struggled but to stop I had to keep going cause it couldn’t stop, got a shuddering through the pedal, first time it’s happened, asked someone I know and they said pistons in my calipers?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Not sure how pistons would cause that. More likely to be a warped disc imo. You sure it wasn't just the normal pulsing that you get when the ABS kicks in?

Reactions: LCR280

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
shuddering or juddering as MTY says is usually warped or badly worn disks, the only way it could be pistons is if you have run out of pad material and they've become super extended and then jammed.

Reactions: LCR280

LCR280

May 21, 2018
Cheers lads, any tips on what discs I should go for? And am I aswell getting the discs and pads as a set and just get the both over and done with? Been looking on eBay, awesomegti etc, haven’t quite made my mind up

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
I have mtec c-hook disks all round with ebc green stuff pads, rears are 1000 miles old front only 200 but so far pretty impressed with them.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Black Diamond Combination Discs with Ferodo DS2500 pads front and back with braided lines and Motul 660 Racing Brake Fluid.
None of it cheap but I use the car more and more on track and less on road.
Braking is very good on road and track
. No noise from the grooves which some get.
No fade on repeated braking.
No squeaking. Unlike some that squeak regularly.
Dust from pads not bad at all. It’s there but if it wasn’t they wouldn’t be as good.
Only takes a couple of braking zones to warm them up and then they are spot on.
Have a mate who runs the same on his CRX and he reports the same.
A friend has yellow stuff EBC pads and they take lots of heating. Motorway driving in the wet and then needing to brake hard had him worried as they cool quickly.
In the end It is down to price, use, looks etc.
The Brembo discs and pads are more than capable for road use and are a very decent price on most sites.
EuroCar Parts, Demon Tweeks etc all have deals on now and then so worth looking. Think I did ok on my discs with a decent discount.
ec48af622c24944f0dc20b63ba8edca8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: kanyewest

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
my ibiza is doing this, glad ive seen this thread. i was planning on changing my discs soon, but ill look to get it done sooner

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
As others have said warped discs, usually caused by long periods of heavy braking, which causes the discs to overheat

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.