Side Light Housing

AlmightyBlighty

Hey all,

I have been playing with my side lights a little, upgrading with LED and now CREE bulbs[B)], and the 'holder' gained a loose connection pretty easily but that was solved with the aid of Chewing gum :p I do think I have pushed the connections a little too far however with putting the CREE bulbs in as a few days after they went in the driver's side would not work. I gave it a wiggle and it would flash but it is not working at all now. It is not the bulb, as I have tried 2 others, and it is not the fuse.

I have searched the forums and googled for a little while and cannot find a 'Side Light Holder' anywhere.... Is there anyone out there that can help with either the correct thing to search for or a nice little fix for the connection in the holder.

Thank you all,
Dan

AlmightyBlighty

I know Cree is the bulb, it is the holder that I have Fudged changing the lights a few times :rolleyes:
c714f0628152ebdbba8b128fbb531b50.jpg
this doohickey

Last edited by a moderator:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
CREE is like the same as General Electric or what birdseye is to fish fingers. LED is a type as in Light Emitting Diode. I take it that it's a 12 v lamp or you've linked a transformer to the side lights to accommodate the lamp voltage wise. What type GU10, MR16 etc,etc. You'd need to post a picture of the lamp to get an idea for a solution to the problem. I've only ever fitted the original type so don't know of a an alternative direct fit. My only suggestion without seeing the whole thing would be to lodge some small packers in behind the contact points inside the holder to enable it to bite the lamp contact points. Hope that helps, it's hard to tell without the hands on.

Last edited:

AlmightyBlighty

The contacts within the housing are fine I am sure, it is the wiring leading out of the housing to the rest of the car that are broken. I need to know if I can get a replacement holder and wires and to know of they are a simple swap job. The Cree lights work fine as that one did for a little while and the passenger side one is still working fine.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
You must have a break in the wires then from the holder to the fuse box then. I don't have the manual with wiring diagram to give full wiring details. A step you could try in the meantime would be to trace the wires from the bulb holder back through the engine bay to the fuse box and check for insulating damage and corrosion at any nodes. An earth point could be poor. Sorry I couldn't be more help with the wiring information.

**** Any one got the wiring information for OP car with ref to side lights ****

Last edited:

AlmightyBlighty

I am pretty sure the break is in the wires as they lead to into the holder as I may...:eek:... Have tugged on the wires a little to get the bulb out

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
You should be able to do a continuity test of a section of the wire, by puncturing the insulation some length from the holder, to the holder connection. I know it's a bit cramped in that area but it may be advantageous to remove the headlight/indicator assembly to give more room to reconstruct/rework the holder. that is disassemble and repair the failed connection.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members