Silicon Dielectric Grease - Smoother running, more responsive & less smokey TDI!!

beefy

Oct 28, 2006
im getting my grease tomorrow or Friday.

If i manage to add the grease to the MAF sensor, anyone will be able to do it :)

beefy

Oct 28, 2006
thanks lol, i just used the wrong name. :)

this will be the only "mod" i can make on my car for 10 months due to insurance probs (see "insurance") :(

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
I remember reading somewhere (can't find it now of course) that on switch off the ECU puts a high current through the MAF wires to heat them up and remove residues and moisture .... but I'm not 100% on this.

Not 100% sure on the MAFs on modern VAG engines, but there could be some truth in that as many early electronic fuel injection engines used a 'hot wire' in the same way as a film is used now to measure the passing air. The hot wire system did indeed burn off all the deposits (in theory). I expect someone will be along soon who knows for sure. Anyone seen Ross (techie)....?

gazjones

any petrol people tried yet as the maf works in the same way! ill try and get some at the weekend or ebay lol

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
any petrol people tried yet as the maf works in the same way! ill try and get some at the weekend or ebay lol

Yes mate, BruceL phoned me at work today saying his LCR i did last weekend was smoother and started quicker. Ill leave it to him to explain though as he'd say hed make a quick post up.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Well....I got home yesterday and my grease had arrived.

Desperate to give this a try, I went out in the cold, dark evening armed with the grease and a torch, and eagerly unplugged/replugged the MAF and MAP a few times, then made sure the contacts were plugged full of grease.
Had a quick drive around last night, and did the long drive in to work this morning, and....

...sod all difference !

Having said that, I've always thought the engine in the Passat has run really well with regards to smoothness, and even with 113k miles on the clock still starts on first turn.

Another couple of days might show if it's affected smoke output or MPG at all.

Given the number of people who've reported good improvements after this "mod", it obviously does work, just perhaps not on every car.
But at a cost of £3-4 it's got to be worth a try.

TornadoRed

Aug 22, 2004
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
...sod all difference !

Having said that, I've always thought the engine in the Passat has run really well with regards to smoothness, and even with 113k miles on the clock still starts on first turn.

Given the number of people who've reported good improvements after this "mod", it obviously does work, just perhaps not on every car.
As I posted back in message 33:
"I think it is something that one should do before a MAF problem arises. If you've already got a problem, it might work or it might not."

Since your Passat was running just fine, it's just not possible for the dielectric grease to make it run better.

I believe if you took 100 TDIs with a little dielectric grease in their MAF connectors, and 100 TDIs without, the first group would have far fewer problems. Those who never experience a failure will not know whether the dielectric grease contributed to their good luck.

Now, where else do you suppose we should squirt that stuff? Anyone have an intermittent lighting problem?

Brucel

Apr 29, 2005
Sheffield
Tried it on mine and there is a lot less lumps.... Also the car starts smoother and first time even in the cold....

The difference is great and things in general seem to feel better!
Thanks Ed

Brucel

sssstew

Editing your spelling
Well....I got home yesterday and my grease had arrived.

Desperate to give this a try, I went out in the cold, dark evening armed with the grease and a torch, and eagerly unplugged/replugged the MAF and MAP a few times, then made sure the contacts were plugged full of grease.
Had a quick drive around last night, and did the long drive in to work this morning, and....
...sod all difference !

ah good point might be worth doing the MAP sensor too....

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
Had mine done by Ed a few days now and covered a fair bit of mileage, going to Blackpool, Lancaster and Ingleton. At first I thought it was smoother, but I'm now not sure. Still taking 2 to 3 turns to fire the engine up and still likes to have a smoke when I put my foot down.

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
did this earlier , liberally coated each terminal in the maf plug , coolant sensor , each plug below the coolant sensor that does the crank and cam position sensors , the main engine plug(beside injector rail ) and also the plug on the vacuum control box on strut top , drivers side:)

car does seem smoother , not a huge lot but certainly worth the bother , only cost a couple of quid and 20 minutes of time , also did a mates 328i and he says his is smoother too :funk:

and yes grant i have some left

Wassy

Eat my soot!
May 20, 2004
Coagh, N.Ireland
ordered a tube off ebay and put it on the connectors yesterday. Was doubtful as to whether it will do anything but at a couple of quid, worth a go. Car seems a wee bit smoother overall i have to say and definately starts better from cold so good value for £2.

beefy

Oct 28, 2006
finally got some silicon dielectric grease

just to check is this the MAF sensor plug?

mpm1987

Spanish Donkey
Mar 10, 2006
what link is everyone using to buy this from on ebay?? im looking and having no luck on ebay!

can someone give me a link to buy it from pleasssse???

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.