Sill damage (with pictures) - best action?

slicecbr

Aug 24, 2008
alright guys

Went on a trip up to Manchester and parked my car up. Noticed the next day some :censored: has damaged my car (dented in the sill and rear section of drivers door) - no note or cameras sadly.

What's the best course of action? :confused: I'm thinking:

1. Leave the car as is and perhaps seal it to stop rusting?
  2. Get insurance to sort it (£250 excess) - I have protected no claims but not sure how much my premium will go up? Also, the body repair guy said they may write the car off as they'd want to replace the door / sill and would cost £££
  3. Sort it myself - I've been quoted £400 (incl. VAT)
  4. Fit side skirts? - anyone know if I can do something like this / sort of cost?

Any other ideas or comments would be appreciated!

sill_zpsc0b7e695.jpg

sill1_zps69f17cc3.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

Toby Davis

Toby Davis
Oct 12, 2009
Kidderminster West Midlands
Side skirts might hide it mostly buddy and you mod your car at the same time which will make you happier, worked on my damaged sill. Only 100 on ebay i think, might be less actually and then i paid 70 to paint, fitted myself, your cill damage is bad though, mine was jack slipping damage, provide a side on photo, that's what i would do though buddy

TDiPat

Dec 23, 2013
Ireland
I once saw something on wheeler dealers that they used to pull out dents by welding in hooks, then grinding them off once the dent was removed. I think it was the BMW 8 series episode. If you could do that well enough then you could use a skim of filler to even out imperfections (being carefull to rust-proof obviously).

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
From what I can see, the biggest problem is the raised edge on the top surface - getting access to the underside for support while beating. The dents aren't such a pain - as TDiPat says, welded on hooks would do the job (plus grinding and filling), but I have used self-tappers to do this.

Last edited:

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
Get yourself a slide hammer and remove as much the best you can. Fill it and cover with stone chip on both sides and then fit the sill kit to hide.

G-baby158

Jul 28, 2013
IMO needs to go to a bodyshop. They'll either weld a plate on and pull it out with a slide hammer and then fill it to get the shape back then stone chip and paint or if it comes out easily use a pin puller which is pretty much same as the slide hammer.

Either way you're not going to be able to do much at home unless you've got the proper (expensive) tools but if you did you wouldn't be writing this status. Try and find a decent bodyshop.

wenman

Red Ibiza 1.8T
Mar 28, 2009
Cheshunt
Would it not be easier for a body shop to just cut it out and weld a replacement bit of sheet metal in and paint it?
It gets done on MX5's all the time rather than welding slide hammers, plates etc trying to get it as straight as possible and still having to filler it probably?

krussel

Oct 31, 2008
Hertforshire
What about a certain company that takes out dents - clue in the following "I think they take Dents Away" ;)

They wont touch that as its too much damage and could be structural.

Looking again I thinks wenman advise is best. Get it cut out and replaced, safest repair.

Last edited:

G-baby158

Jul 28, 2013
Would it not be easier for a body shop to just cut it out and weld a replacement bit of sheet metal in and paint it?
It gets done on MX5's all the time rather than welding slide hammers, plates etc trying to get it as straight as possible and still having to filler it probably?

No that would be a lot more hassle and still will need filler so defeats the object of it?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.